Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Somaliland: Ethiopia’s sphere of Influence

Abtigiis   

Under the guise of ‘friends of Somaliland’, Dr. Takeda Alemu’s office in the Ministry of foreign Affairs in Ethiopia in Filwuha, opposite the five star Hilton Hotel, is running the politics of Somaliland and virtually at no cost. Occasionally, it provides hotel accommodations to visiting Somaliland dignitaries, often on private missions and dinner is organized in sumptuous restaurants to the exaltation of the bewitched politicians from the Northern Western province. And that is enough to grant Ethiopia the right to dictate who should run the place, who should not, and when to hold elections.

A good Somali will be nauseated by the attention and undue respect given to Mr. Mulugetta, the uneducated ‘Ambassador’ of Ethiopia in Hargeisa. All main politicians scrame to pamper him in an attempt to get his blessings. This reminds me of the role GabreWahid and Towlede, the so-called advisors in Jigjiga play in that pseudo-federal region. In many ways, I consider Da’ud, Ina-Dulaane and former Somali regional state presidents to have power than Riyaale and the aspiring opposition candidates in Somaliland when it comes to standing up to the whims of the Tigre masters. At least those in Jijiga know how to handle them and at times tell off the small fishes from Addis.

When the lowly rated Admas College, which runs some phoney distance education progrmamme to the desperate youngsters in Somalialand graduated some students this year, virtually all the cabinet has to show up and all has to salute and praise the representative from the Addis, who happen to be a mediocre teacher. Even Ahmed Dahir, the former Auditor General of Somali Regional State, himself a graduate of the Cadre-producing Civil Service College (a creation of EPRDF with dubious academic quality) stood to the podium with the grace of an accomplished professor. What a sham!

With the passage of each day, it is becoming increasingly evident that what we have in Hargeisa is an extension of the Somali regional state. However, unlike the regional state, Somaliland gets no budgetary support from Ethiopia and its business people are arrested arbitrarily and their goods confiscated at will in Wajaale and Jijiga customs.

If we guys who continue to fight for self-determination could accept half of the such subjugation and insult Somalilanders endure, I am convinced we would have run the whole place with the armed support of Ethiopia.

^Supposedly, 70 gadiid (lorries I imagined) were detianed or confiscated by Ethos.All Somalia comes under Ethos sphere of influence.

Riyaale and opposition is liptied about the whole thing.

Cowke   

Abtigis yes another disgrace for somafiland. The day somafiland died was the day they needed ethiopia to come TO hargeisa and mediatate between his wives those so-called hizbis.

Now not to long ago when abdullahi was fighting cade muse, not once would you hear ethiopia would negiotate between the two. Nor has an ethiopian ever step foot in puntland. Infact it is well known if anyone from puntland administration wants to speak to ethiopia, they must go to addis ababe, not the other-way around.

Somafiland is pet-project of ethiopia and it's proven by the fact of how easy delegations of ethiopia can enter hargeisa without no problems.

Where-as you will never see an ethiopian government official in puntland from it's inception till this day.

Johnny B   

"Nor has an ethiopian ever step foot in puntland".

Atheer, naga qalee.

The Ethiopians were swarming over Growe Both helping Atheer Abdullahi against Jama A Jama , and watching that well-known teeth-less old lady in Growe who sucks her 'ari' instead of milking them. :D

Abtigiis   

Puntland politicians are worse. In fact they have used the Ethiopian military to settle internal issues on more than one occasion. Ismadhaantiyo dhasheed.

But there is a slight difference. While the general population in Puntland is naturally averse to Ethiopia, in somaliland there is some kind of infatuation with Xabashi. Their art and music is flourishing in Hargeisa, their national channels play Tigre music, with no regard to the feelings of those who are daily killed and maimed by these agents of destruction.

There is a lot more I can list in case some of the affecionados of the fake entity try to dispute. I expect the born-again-Issac, Ngonge will be thrown at me for some defence. And Ayoub will be on his side. But whatever they may say, even the loqocuious Oodweyne will find it difficult to find words to defend this little infatuation of his people. It is a truth that must be told.

Liqaye   

The things you write about A&T are the shame of almost all Somali politico's, and a collective failing of the Somali people.

Whether it is in regaling us with clan based bantustans or warlord politics, Somalis every where to some degree or other buy in whole heartedly into the version of Somalia the Ethiopians produce.

Which is ultimately a greater crime and loss than listening to ethio music. :D

p.s keep up the exposes.

A&T-Both Puntland and Somaliland would eventually be overrun by Oromo anyway. Their population is growing and soon enough will be thriving.No wonder Godane was concerned about Xabashis trickling into the north. He went as far as saying, don't rent them your houses.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Jalle Liqaye:

The things you write about A&T are the shame of almost all
Somali politico's
, and a collective failing of the Somali people.

Not rer-Xizbul Islam. They fought Ethiopians tooth and nail and preserved their identity and Somalinimo for over 5 decades at enormous cost.

Liqaye   

I can see this is a touchy subject with you, so I will tread carefully and ask if as you put rer-xisbul islam did not during those 5 decades, produce their fair share of traitors, collaborationists, and spys?

Did they not fail and flounder when they did have actual control? Being poisoned by clannism as any other array of somalis is wont to?

There are those that fight ethiopia and it intreasts against the somali PEOPLE and to boil it down to rer-xisbul, just reflects the short sighted politics and discourse that rer-xisbul is so famous for. smile.gif

Cowke   

When Abdullahi Yusuf used ethiopian support against jamac ali jamac if you read the journal article i posted, it makes it clear that this was "logistical military support" logistical meaning arms supply, strategy advice, etc. Not ethiopian soldiers fighting alongside abdullahi yusuf. That is military interventation and big difference to military logical support, so don't get it twisted.

The fact of the matter is if you can prove to me one ethiopian ever stepped foot into puntland with solid proof, i'll accept it. However don't make hypocritical claims.

Puntland has an understanding of military and economic relation with ethiopia that is it really. Their is no other ties with ethiopia, and these ties were necessary because egal at that time was using ethiopians, puntland was left with no choice but to use international support.

Those southern boys you see don't be fooled by this "we don't do bizness with ethiopia" line they use, they are the first to use tigray support except the difference is they don't like the tigray guy in addis, but they have no problems getting help from the tigray guy in asmara..and that goes for your hizbul islam, shabab and even certain warlords in the past.

So tell that to someone who hasn't actually studied the case proxy war happening in somalia.

Cowke   

By the way abtiga tolkis it is funny you noticed the bi-cultural support of celebrating ethiopian culture hargeisa, lol they hold that festival once a year actually.

However if you want to see how much love hargeisa has for ethiopia watch this video below and you will see thousands line up welcoming ethiopia into their city.

Ps: when you find that sort of stuff happen in puntland, give me buzz because i will be damn suprised.

Haatu   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tolka:

quote:Originally posted by Jalle Liqaye:

The things you write about A&T are the shame of almost all
Somali politico's , and a collective failing of the Somali people.

Not rer-Xizbul Islam. They fought Ethiopians tooth and nail and preserved their identity and Somalinimo for over 5 decades at enormous cost.
50 years iska daa oo sheeg wakhtiga gumeysigu uu bilawdey. Waana 1889 ( I think) the year Harar fell. :(

Haatu   

Originally posted by Cowke:

By the way abtiga tolkis it is funny you noticed the bi-cultural support of celebrating ethiopian culture hargeisa, lol they hold that festival once a year actually.

However if you want to see how much love hargeisa has for ethiopia watch this video below and you will see thousands line up welcoming ethiopia into their city.

Ps: when you find that sort of stuff happen in puntland, give me buzz because i will be damn suprised.

Bro, what happens in Hargeisa should worry you just like what happens in Garowe would worry you. Plus, holding a xabashi injirleey festival on Somali soil? If Axmed Gurey or Saidka were to know, like the gaalo would say, they would've rolled over in their graves.

UZTAAD   

There is no doubt that Somaliland is an Ethiopian protectorate in fact the whole Idea of secessionism is engineered from Addis Ababa who wants to see Somalia week and divided.

Somaliland politicians view Ethiopia as their saviors and godfather, the love & admiration for Ethiopia is enormous among these folks. Where they believe Somalia as their number one enemy, most of these Secessionists will be very happy if Ethiopia annex them instead of being part of Somali republic.

Their worst nightmare is strong and united Somalia. They even don’t hide their happiness of the chaos in the sought because they see this suffering of their brethren will hasten their recognition but that is jus dilution.