Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Breakaway region Somaliland and the views of Rakiya Omar

NASSIR   

Rakiya Omar is the director of Africa Rights . She was interviewed by Radio Natherlands on her views about the breakaway region of Somalia(Somaliland)and Somalis in the Diaspora.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The country that wants to be

by Ginger da Silva, 25 November 2005

On the northern hook of the Horn of Africa, a stretch of arid land the size of England and Wales declared itself independent 14 years ago. It broke from a federation with its neighbours in the rest of Somalia.

Since then, southern Somali warlords have been battling it out, while the people of Somaliland have been working on a process of reconciliation, demobilisation and development. Somalilanders believe they've established a viable, democratic state, but no one seems to have noticed.

Breakaway republic

A compound with several unassuming one-story, yellow-brick buildings is the seat of government, where Foreign Minister Edna Adnan Isma'il explains that in the 1960s the former British protectorate teamed up with the newly independent Italian colony of Somalia in a united republic.

"This particular union did not work, because there were two people with totally different backgrounds: colonial backgrounds, cultural differences, even language differences. Now the union that came about out of good will caused a lot of problems and hardships and created a situation that went into a civil war. The government of Somalia, under the dictatorship of Siad Barre, took actions that were totally against civil rights: they filled mass graves with innocent victims, bombed civilian towns, flattened Hargeisa. What you see today has been rebuilt by the people of Somaliland themselves."

Educated exiles

To develop further, Somaliland needs its educated citizens who are now in exile. But they won't and shouldn't come until the situation improves, warns Rakiya Omar, the Director of the human rights organisation Africa Rights:

"There are four main obstacles that prevent people: there are no jobs, the health sector is absolutely dismal, the schools are not of a standard that can accommodate people who've spent ten or 15 years in the Netherlands or GB, and then there's the judiciary and a deteriorating human rights situation in Somaliland. If people are going to come back from Europe, if they have any kind of legal problem, they'll find the judiciary is weak, corrupt, and seriously suffering from political interference. There are hundreds of people in prison, including children who have never had their cases examined."

Many Somalilanders put their faith in international recognition as a remedy against all their ills. But that's a pipedream, says Ms Omar:

"I think it's a complete fantasy and also a weapon the government is using to stifle debate. Everybody is told that you can't talk about this because you will embarrass Somaliland and we won't get recognised. I think Somalilanders must first recognise their responsibility as human beings, recognise their responsibility to uphold the laws that they have already voted and then we can worry about recognition."

Radio Netherlands

NGONGE   

Many Somalilanders put their faith in international recognition as a remedy against all their ills. But that's a pipedream, says Ms Omar:

"I think it's a complete fantasy and also a weapon the government is using to stifle debate. Everybody is told that you can't talk about this because you will embarrass Somaliland and we won't get recognised. I think Somalilanders must first recognise their responsibility as human beings, recognise their responsibility to uphold the laws that they have already voted and then we can worry about recognition."

Imagine if that was the case with all democracies!

Recently, there has been a trend amongst the newsmakers and politicians of Somaliland to brush the issue of recognition aside and talk about (supposedly) more important things! I can understand Ms Omer’s position and appreciate her priorities here. She’s a human right’s activist and to her, human rights, rule of law and the ending of corruption are more important than recognition. I’ve recently noticed that many people have started thinking in a similar way. They all argue that recognition is not important (for now) and that Somaliland should concentrate on building from the bottom up. But, how could you have a nation without recognition?

Ms Omer (and those of similar mindsets) needs to watch old-fashioned fairy tales like Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Better still, why don’t we all follow the Yellow Brick Road? For even the Cowardly Lion knew that in order to be a proper and real lion, he had to have courage. The Tinman knew he had to have a heart and even the Scarecrow joined Dorothy and the rest to beg the Big Wizard for a brain!

Could a lion be a lion without having courage? Could a country be a country without having recognition? Or have these people given up on the idea and are trying to let everyone down gently? For, surely, their argument is nonsensical and gaining recognition matters not a jot to improving living conditions, law and order or human rights.

The way the agenda-setters of Somaliland keep shifting from one idea to another is quite confusing. One can never tell what their real aim is anymore.

Maybe we should all be off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz and ask for help with the whole thing.

One thing where I agree with Ms Omer is in ignoring all the cries about embarrassing Somaliland, serious and real debate should be had regardless of how embarrassing it is. And on that note, let me depart from this thread with the great words of the Scarecrow as Dorothy and her companions entered the creepy forest, “Of course I don't know, but I think it'll get darker before it gets lighterâ€.

^^^Or as Umru al Qays mourned;

Oh long night, dawn will come, but it will be no brighter!

ألا أيها الليل الطويل ألا أنجلي

بصبح وماالإصباح منك بأÙضل

Somaliland has embarked on a mission full of political uncertainties, indeed. It will be unwise of them, though, if democratic progresses and economic developments are slowed down for the unknown outcome of this recognition bid.

LANDER   

This woman works hard to shed light on the on goings back home and does great things. However, I think she's simply allowing her frustration and discontent with the current administration get the best of her.

^Helping the people and bringing to us the struggles of the average Somalilander back home is great, but getting all political and trying to fight back against the government by making a mockery of something she feels is important to them like recognition is not the way to go about it. What help is that to the avg man?

Many Somalilanders put their faith in international recognition as a remedy against all their ills. But that's a pipedream

^^Is this really true? the avg. farax puts his "faith" in "recognition" or whether or not it will rain so his camels can graze? I admire her efforts to bring about transparency and accountability but she's taking it a bit too far. The Riyaale administration doesn't embody Somalilanders and there national aspirations, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Qudhac   

Educated exiles

To develop further, Somaliland needs its educated citizens who are now in exile. But they won't and shouldn't come until the situation improves, warns Rakiya Omar, the Director of the human rights organisation Africa Rights

what cowardly thing to say "they shouldnt go back" since when have these paper interlectuals ever done for somaliland, maybe she should come off her high and mighty horse for once and go back home help her folks failling that she should shut her trap for once and deflate her over inflated ego for once, when every zealot comes to kill foreiners in somaliland she is the first person cry human rights...

if these heart bleeding and spineless liberals had their ways where would we be really? properly at the feet of some despotic and unelected warlord.

Gabbal   

"I think it's a complete fantasy and also
a weapon the government is using to stifle debate. Everybody is told that you can't talk about this because you will embarrass Somaliland
and we won't get recognised.

Who can doubt the legitimacy of this Rakiya's words?

Jaylaani   

Read the whole interview. Those Quotes were taking out of context.

BTW, no one said Somaliland is prefect. The country is going through growing pains and we have to be patient. There is a corruption everywhere in the world including the US and Western Europe, that is why they call it government. However, Somaliland is doing great politically and economically considering the circumstances.

^^about time someone puts it staight

For me, I am disappointed with Rakiya, not that she is doing a splendid job in the humanrights department, far from it, but the fact that she was one of "the" first Somalilanders to come back from overseas and had witnessed how much Somaliland has changed over the years before her own eyes. I would have expected a little "gorowshiyo" from her side, that although I recognise where shei s coming from, but someone really needs to tell her that Rome wasn't built in a day. I mean, it took centuries for the Western world to reach where they are today, can't she just atleast be patient that Somaliland is trying its best to do it in decades instead of centuries?

But, as a fella Somalilander, I know she is only being "Faraska waxa usha loogu dhufta, waa ha ka badiyo orodka". So in that regard, I say Kudos to her and her job welldone in her department. We need more idealists like her that would push Somaliland that extra 10%.

Castro   

^ Atheer you're right. All Ms. Omaar is saying is let us improve what we have control over (governance, human rights, the economy) and not worry about that we have little or no control over (recognition). The latter will come, if it were meant to be, in due time. To use recognition as the be all and end all is retarded. To neglect what matters most to the people while using the illusive recognition as the cause of all the ills is duplicitous. That's it. Oh, and the woman is HOT!

Some people here not happy with her, because she is letting her tribe state down that is the only reason they objecting her.

It is reminds like when Danish national football team is been beaten, the ordinary danes say "hmm!they lost", using the term "they", but when they win , they say "We won" this is exactly the same.

This lady freely expresing her views based on her judgement, research and the reality on the ground on todays Somaliland. Everyone knows that somaliland neglected their own citizens by wasting the little money they revcied on advertising themselves and sleeping on big 5 stars hotels arond the globe where their own peole suffering, no homes were buit, unimployment is up!!

Wake up guys,

Allamagan

NASSIR   

Most of you have chosen to comment on one part of her statement. What about where she says, “"This particular union did not work, because there were two people with totally different backgrounds: colonial backgrounds, cultural differences, even language differences.†Isn't that wrong assumption? She spoke from the misinformation that Somaliland disseminates to its citizens and many people still in that part of our land believe that we have two different culture and language.

However, the deteriorating of human rights issues in the region is very hard to assail particularly the Somali children who are in jail without due process.

LANDER   

^^Most somalis know that they all share many commonalities that are undeniable across all somali territories irrespective of political and regional divide. However, the real misinformation is the popularized myth of absolute cultural Homogeneity that was propagated during the days of somali nationlism and euphoria. You don't need to do extensive anthropological research to realize that there exist some real culural differences amongst somalis across regions and states. This question of Homogeneity seems to me can be said to be true or false depending on relative comparison. I realize it was just a vain political statement, nonetheless it raises questions that extend beyond the political realm

Yeniceri   

"This particular union did not work, because there were two people with totally different backgrounds: colonial backgrounds, cultural differences, even language differences.

Wow. Quite a statement. CAAMIR thanks for highlighting this part of the interview.

Originally posted by LANDER:

...the real
misinformation
is the popularized myth of absolute cultural Homogeneity that was propagated during the days of somali nationlism and euphoria. You don't need to do extensive anthropological research to
realize
that there exist some real culural differences amongst somalis across regions and states.

It seems, sxb, as if you've already made up your mind that the homogeneity of the Somali people is "misinformation." If it is "misinformation," then who was behind the misinformation? Who's interest lies in propagating this "misinformation?" Who are the culprits behind this conspiracy to "misinform" the world, and the Somali people, that Somalis have a single culture? And who believes this and who opposes it?

Also, can you elaborate on the "cultural differences" that we should "realize" upon doing minimal anthropological work?