Sign in to follow this  
Juje

Ethiopia blames Somali leadership for peace failures ...(Xaasha!)

Juje   

Ethiopia blames Somali leadership for peace failures

SeyoumMesfin.jpgEthiopian Foreign Minister Seyoum Mesfin

NAIROBI (AFP) — Ethiopia, whose forces toppled an Islamist regime in Mogadishu two years ago, on Tuesday blamed the failure to restore stability in Somalia on the transitional rulers it helped bring to power.

"Somalia's problems are not security, but political," said Foreign Minister Seyoum Mesfin at a meeting of governments in the region focused on Somalia.

Seyoum said President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed and his successive prime ministers had "not managed to create any institutions of governance to speak of" since they came to power in December 2006.

"The continuing feud within the leadership ... had contributed to the paralysis of the TFG," he added in reference to the transitional federal government.

The TFG, headed by the one-time warlord Yusuf, was formally established in 2004 but its remit never extended beyond the backwater of Baidoa until the Ethiopian army invaded Somalia nearly two years ago.

The toppling of an Islamist group that had taken control of large parts of the country and started to impose a tough form of Sharia law brought Yusuf to power but did little to restore calm to a country that has been wracked by violence since the 1991 ouster of strongman Mohamed Siad Barre.

Somalia's transitional federal charter expires next year when a new constitution is to be drafted and elections held although there is widespread scepticism over whether polls can take place amid the rampant insecurity.

Despite pledges from some African governments, only Uganda has contributed significant numbers to a peacekeeping force which has failed to halt a campaign of guerrilla warfare being waged by an even more radical Islamist faction.

"In all honesty, the international community can hardly be proud of its record in Somalia," Seyoum said.

"But this is no excuse for the kind of egregious lack of responsible behaviour that we continue to witness on the part of all those in positions of authority in Somalia."

Yusuf was in open disagreement with Ali Mohamed Gedi, the TFG's first prime minister who eventually had to resign exactly a year ago.

Gedi's successor Nur Hassan Hussein has also had his differences with the president and survived a no-confidence vote last month.

On Sunday, a UN-sponsored peace process in Djibouti announced that a deal had been signed by the transitional government and the main Islamist-dominated political opposition group.

The agreement provides for a ceasefire and an Ethiopian troop pullback to begin next month, with security responsibilities gradually handed over to Somali police until a UN peacekeeping force is deployed.

The main Islamist insurgent group, which now controls most of southern and central Somalia, rejected the announcement and vowed to continue its armed struggle.

The Shebab, the main insurgent group, accuse the conservative Christian regime in Addis Ababa of being engaged in a crusade against Muslim Somalia and have refused to negotiate before a full withdrawal is completed.

In recent weeks, Ethiopian troops have been less visible on the streets of Mogadishu and Addis Ababa has been sending mixed signals on the future of its presence in the country.

Experts say Ethiopia is mulling its exit strategy from the Somali quagmire and argue that a pullback has effectively already started.

"The Ethiopians have definitely been planning some form of military pullback. We just don't know exactly on what scale," said one expert, who did not wish to be named to ensure his security when he travels to Somalia.

The expert believes the pullback announced on Sunday could entail a redeployment to a handful of locations in Somalia, with a handover of security duties in Mogadishu to the African peacekeeping force and Somali police.

"Of course no one could assume that, speaking now on behalf of my country, Ethiopia will continue to keep its troops in Somalia," Seyoum said in Nairobi.

Yet Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi, who is not attending the Nairobi summit, said earlier this month that he would not hesitate to send his army back in if the Islamists took power.

Source: AFP, Oct 28, 2008

Nayroobi: Raysalwasaaraha Soomaaliya oo cadeeyyey in ay dawladda Itoobiya wado fidno ka dhex wado dawladda Soomaaliya.

28. oktober 2008

APL

Nayroobi(AllPuntland)- Raysalwasaaraha dawladda Faderaalka ee Soomaaliya Col. Nuur Xasan Xuseen ( Nuur Cadde) ayaa usheegay Mudanayaal ka tirsan baarlamaanka Faderaalka ee Soomaaliya in ay dawladda Itoobiya fidno ka dhex wado Dawladda Faderaalka ee Soomaaliya.

Raysalwasaaraha ayaa warkan sheegay markii uu banaanka uga soo baxay fadhigii ay maanta la yeesheen Wasiirada Arimaha dibada ee IGAD oo ay shir gudoomineysay dawladda Itoobiya.

Col. Nuur Cadde wuxuusan si rasmi ah faahfaahin uga bixin ujeedada ay Itoobiya wadato iyo waxyaabaha ay ku dooneyso in ay iskugu dirto dawladda Faderaalka Soomaaliya, isagoo sheegay in ay arintaasi umarayaan dhanka baarlamaanka Faderaalka ee Soomaaliya.

Xildhibaanadii uu Raysalwasaare Nuur Cadde usheegay warkan ayaa usheegay AllPuntland, waxa ayna sheegeen in uu wasiirka koowaad umuuqday mid ka niyad jabsanaa kulankii maanta ay Madaxda dawladda Soomaaliya la yeesheen Wasiirada arimaha dibada ee IGAD.

Wararka ayaa intaasi ku daraya in uu Raysalwasaaraha Soomaaliya la kulmay qaar ka mid ah Lataliyaashiisa oo uu kala hadlayo arimaha ku aadan qorshayaasha dawladda Itoobiya ay wado, oo uusan marnaba faahfaahin ka bixin ama aysan AllPuntlad helin.

Ilo Xog-ogaal ah ayaa sheegaya in ay dawladda Itoobiya ku eedeysay Madaxda dawladda Faderaalka ee Soomaaliya qaar ka mid ah in ay ku tumanayaan Axdiga dawladda, markaasna aysan dooneyn in ay nabad ka dhalato gudaha dalka Soomaaliya.

Xaaladu say doonto hanoqotee shirkan oo wali humbulan Ama uu ku jiro Mugdi weyn lana gareyn ujeedooyinka uu ku bilowday & waxyaabaha ka soo bixi doona ayaa xiliga-kan umuuqday mid meel xasaasi cagaha lagalay.

Wararka Shirkaasi saacad kasta & Daqiiqad kasta kala soco www.AllPuntland,com

F. C. Geylan

AllPuntland

YEY was reported to have been at odds with his ethioipian masters and seeking help from Ugandan president, and now PM too is sending out the same signal... what on earth is going on here? where would this take the infamouse tfg to? what about the ethiopians plan B ileen cayaar cayaar kuma harayaane?

Juje   

Originally posted by Allamagan:

YEY was reported to have been at odds with his ethioipian masters and seeking help from Ugandan president, and now PM too is sending out the same signal... what on earth is going on here? where would this take the infamouse tfg to? what about the ethiopians plan B ileen cayaar cayaar kuma harayaane?

Wala yaban yahey sxb........no one can predict now.

This is a strategic move for Ethiopia. She wants to show that she too had enough with the TFG. Also if she wants to groom new political puppets, as I am sure she does, she must be willing to ditch and abandon the old guard. As some of us have always maintained, Ethiopia’s interests in Somalia transcend, and are not contingent upon, our political characters. Hers is a national interest!

I think Ethiopia’s desire to withdraw from Somalia is real. But she knows that alone does not ensure her security. So she presumably would like to influence the next batch of Somali leaders (TFG leaders are history). Knowing that she has no credibility on that regard, she must fabricate a credible stance! Lashing out at Yey and Nur is an inexpensive way of doing that!

The real question is who’s buying her latest maneuverings?

I am not!

ilax   

Does Ethio's political strategy matter in this Ethoipan and its allies driven meeting of weak tfg? Ethio has a great political stake at the political stablity of Somalia. Any poltical concession made out-side its political interest does not qualify a peace agreement by its own terms. So what do you expect, if the rules of the game in place are no at your side?

May be, a glimmer of hope from this high profile meeting is to get out of this meeting a moderate leadership who can take the country out of this political turmoil.But this depends so much on the personality of the new leadership and their political capacity to manupilate the externals to bring all groups on the round table for negotiation and making a peace deal.

But the issue has to do with political cooperation and tolerance.

The viable question is, even if we get that type of leadership, do different factions in the country are matured enough to accept and give hand to achieve his political vission?

Nephissa   

I believe it was the great Sayid, Allahu Yarhama Rahameen, who once said this:

"Waa idin dagaayaa kufriga, ad u dabcaysaane. dirhankuu idiin qubahayaad, dib u go'aysaan e. marka hore dabkuu idinka dhigin, dumar sidiisiiye. marka xiga daabaqadda yuu, idin dareensiin e. marka xiga dalkuu idinku oran, duunyo dhaafsadae. marka xiga dushuu idinka rari, sida dameereede."

Bear ^ that in mind next time you hear any loose babble that suggests 'Ethiopia is working towards a peaceful resolution of our crisis.' I think history can show us so much about where they stand; against us! Pitting us against each other and keeping us divided, is a game plan they promised to honor some years ago. Ninkii wax ka sugaa khasaar. Plan-ku waa "dhereg oo aarso" inay marba cid ku tiraa. They'll more than likely replace the current puppet with another one from the "Galmudug" regions.

The age old addage:

"and Then they Came FOR

Y* O* U" comes to me mind.

Xeryahii qaxootiga lagu qixi lahaa hala diyaarsado.

It simple ladies and genetlemen ,, those guys (Yes & co) were used, it is time for other puppets now.

I wonder who is on the table ....

And i hope Yey will not spend the rest of his days in an Ethiopian jail just like the old days ,,,,

nuune   

What if all the TFG members, together with their Yeey & Cade leave Nairobi quickly and head to Somalia, and organise their own peace conference with the Maxaakiimta etc to settle their difference without any outside intruders, this outside influx causes Somali problems to get further and deepen!

Nicely put yaa Bishy, Sayidka si fiican buu ula helay.

AYOUB   

^^ Judging from comments like that, I'm starting to feel Somalis are much wiser than 5 years ago when the general sentiment was "any government is better than no government". I hope i'm right.

Abwaan   

lol...Allpuntland waxay soo qoreen day. I think dad gaar ah baa lagu seexinayaa waxaan dacaayad ka weyne they know in Soomaalidu la socdaan waxa meesha ka jiree.

ilax   

^^^ ODWAYNE

Thanx indeed, for your in-depth analysis on the matter. You have looked at a perspective of making a political deal between some nationalist groups and Ethiopia. That is fine, and its some thing that Ethiopia leadership is looking desperately. However, politics is not benevolent domain rather it’s more of deception and opportunistic game. Ethiopia, as you truthfully stated has only one agenda, i.e., to have a weaken Somalia Government at her side, no politically competitive Somalia Government is the strategically interest of Ethiopia. She is not ****** to have that political interest in this fragmented state. However, she is playing a political game with different factions and trying to convince and entertain each group. Normally, Ethio used to deal with ignorant and cowed politicians.

For me, there are two scenarios in the political prospect of this crumpling state. One scenario is in line with the Ethiopians school of though: two state solution plus subsidiary local governments with weak central government. In this, powerful and rival regional governments will be formed as a federal system and central government will have a symbolic authority. I don’t think nationalist groups like Abdi-qasim and others are willing to accept Ethio devised federal system in place in Somalia

Another scenario is locally driven reconciliation supported by international communities’ particularly genuine friends of Somalis. This will lead a real political concession involved all parties, including tfg and others. In this process Ethiopia is treated like other members of IGAD not more than that, and Somali politicians are serious to make a political deal and concession. This is a healthful political process and its only way of getting out of this political quagmire. One of the best example is they way young muslim scholars ( Maxakimta) managed to stabilize the majority of the country with in a short period, I think we need that type of up-heavel from the bottom not peace deal done at luxurious and non- scrupulous manner. Then, we need that type of leadership; “Leadership is the capacity to translate vision in to reality” Warren Bennis.

Abtigiis   

The problem with the Somali's is that I lecture a Sijuu about the intentions of Kibaki, and a Mogdishu born somali lectures me on what Ethiopia (this time Tigre- Adwa and Adigrat fellows) think.

YOU ALL DON"T UNDERSTAND THE MIND OF A TIGRE! or AN OROMO or an Amhara! DO YOU?