Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

A Glimmer of hope on the horizon for Gedo Residents

What on earth is he talking about? There's no hate between Planders and Gedonians. Just a silly, typical Somali rivalry over power that only benefits old men.

BN   

Good read and good advice. And I've never noticed but Gedo is shaped like an elephant. Live and learn. :D

Glimmer.jpg

raula   

^^^looooool-I didn't realize the similarity as well. Just today-my sis was telling a story of a place called "FUUNICHO/FUURNICHO :confused: "-as she said it in somali-"waa gogool" evergreen land. The word Fuunicho(like furniture)got me cracking up :D:D kool place. waxaa joogaan mas duuled :eek: , too many ugaar, and my fav. ELO ELO (deer) & BICIID (gazelle/Impala) icon_razz.gif

Long live my GEDOLAND :D

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Jumatatu:

quote:Originally posted by HornAfrique:

I've never downplayed the peace and development Puntland has achieved, and have even look at it as a model for Gedo.

Reer Gedo will slaughter you alive in a broad daylight for this statement...but then again they probably know the substitute of blodd in your body is water hence you have no honour.... :mad:
Slaughter me for what? Telling the truth? Puntland and reer Gedo might be having a current political cold war sxb, but no reer Gedo will ever deny the peace and prosperity the northeast is experiencing. If you must know the reer Gedo aqoonyahans and waxgarads are calling to emulate Puntland.

Bespeaking of my honour? Waraa waa iiso digatay miyaa? On the real though if I were to praise Caydiid and Caato, my "honor" would be intact huh? Get a grip sxb, politics changes, but blood doesn't. :cool:

as she said it in somali-"waa gogool" evergreen land. The word Fuunicho(like furniture)got me cracking up kool place. waxaa joogaan mas duuled , too many ugaar, and my fav. ELO ELO (deer) & BICIID (gazelle/Impala)

Ahh Raula nice to hear of you sis, how have you been?

Now where is this "Fuunicho" near by the way? If things go as hoped, some family members and I are going to Somalia this summer. We plan to visit Gedo (visits to Bardhere, Garbaharay, Beled Xawo, and Tuulo Barwaaqo respectively) before going on to Cabudwaq and Balanbale. Find out for me will ya :cool: , that place sounds interesting.

Bess.   

Originally posted by Jumatatu:

quote:Originally posted by HornAfrique:

I've never downplayed the peace and development Puntland has achieved, and have even look at it as a model for Gedo.

Reer Gedo will slaughter you alive in a broad daylight for this statement...but then again they probably know the substitute of blodd in your body is water hence you have no honour.... :mad:
why r u instigating btw the two of them.....how dare u say there is something wrong with one region wanting to improve or take some pointers from another......nobody said one is doing better than the other.....inashallah they will both prosper and improve, and that should only bring joy to us as somali people wateva region its....

ps...as for questioning horn's honor.....u haven't learnd anything from his posts, nor do u know him personally to say anything as rude and unfounded as that.....if u think honor is being qabilisti, and putting down others ...that is ur kind of honor and that is no honor at all.... :mad:

raula   

Horn-Iam good bro-hope the same applies to you. Now the place you inquire of (I believe but will be happy to find out for ya) is close to Garbaharay, and Luuq areas.

Horn-have you ever been to the baadiya of garbaharay :D its the most exquisite places and exotic wildlife sceneries I have ever come across(forget TSAVO national park) :D Once you should get down there-you should try the tiny sweet-sour fruits called "XAMUUR" (as reer gedood say) :D

Gabbal   

Horn-have you ever been to the baadiya of garbaharay its the most exquisite places and exotic wildlife sceneries I have ever come across(forget TSAVO national park) Once you should get down there-you should try the tiny sweet-sour fruits called "XAMUUR" (as reer gedood say)

Baadiya of Garbaharay? Unfortunately not sis, I'm a city kid, that's why I want to experience the whole nine yards when I go back. I do remember Gedo though, and it still amazes my grandmother that "Mudug ee cimrigeeda ku soo dhamaystirtay, ayadoo Gedo tolkeeda leeyahiin" (I quote :cool: ). That's how wonderful and surprising the green of Gedo was to alot of people. Tuulo Barwaaqo (not a tuulo anymore, I heard they're callin the place Beled Barwaaqo now :D ) is itself built on a naturally occuring garden, thats one of the reasons I'm going to be there most of the time and also because of who the over-whelming majority of it's inhabitants are :D

It is sad what happened to post-1991 Gedo though. :rolleyes: All the intellectuals, leaders, and learned leaving the place in control of jaahil warlords pitting their sub-subclans against the other. Thats why there is a call right now to call back the wax-garads and aqoonyahans and take advantage of this fruitful opportunity to build the place.

The best you and I can do is support them passionately and whole-heartedly.

Its wonderful news when regions start focusing their resources and how to improve them I hope them success. Gedo has Juba River and once, although not finished had one of the biggest developments in the country -Juba Valley development that included electric and water canals designed to feed into Bay and Bakool region. Although I never been in Gedo but my dad had another family in Bardheere and he liked the place too much.

Raula...... Nationalist-you are so repulsive and gloomy

ooooooh that must have hurt :D:D

Anyway regarding the Baadiye of Garbahaarey.i have been there and i must say Raula you are right it is beautiful indeed.Kinda reminds me of sanaag especially the hillsides of sanaag.The only difference is that there are an abundance of animals.The trees or should i say Garden of tuula barwaaqo is also true.i was there as well

Horn I apologise if my reaction to the article sounded rude. By no means did I try to downsize Gedo, I only stated my views in it's potential compared to other regions such as Awdal and Lower Jubba. I never apologise someone without showing my sincerity in my apology. Therefore I'll post a topic about Gedo's economic potential in Somalia and the greater Horn context.

Gabbal   

Nationalist I'll try to answer your questions now.

No offense but every Somali region has potential if you add it with 450 km of paved roads.

True, but specially in Gedo because the U.N estimates there is more land and cross-border trade in that region then any of the other Somali regions.

Gedo borders one of the most if not the most backward and underdeveloped regions of both Kenya and Ethiopia

All the regions in Somalia, Ethiopia, and Kenya are virtually backward and underdeveloped, but in the African and third world context trade and commerce are flourishing in those places.

Trade routes have always been and will most likely be for Kenya to Kismayo.

Muqdisho's trade, because of the violence in its port, depends heavily on land trade with Ethiopia and Kenya and most of that trade takes place and conerns Gedo.

The U.N estimates that 60% of Kismayo's and the Jubba's trade and commerce depend on Gedo and its trading network. Infact Ken Menkhaus wrote that the city of Kismayo's lifeline is the trade coming from Bardhere and the rest of Gedo.

And for Ethiopia it's muscle trading arm is the railroad from Addis Ababa via Dire Dawa to Djibouti. Thereby mostly northern regions would benefit, wich is currently happenning. Djibouti, Bosaso and Berbera ports are competing for Ethiopia's market.

Most of Ethiopia's trade toward the outside world goes through Djibouti and, in the past, through the cities of Massawa and Assab, Eritrea.

However, a good percentage of Ethiopia's trade in the horn and toward Somalia is overwhelming concentrated in the south, principally in Gedo, Kismayo, and Muqdisho. Ethiopia's trade links in the northern regions is limited to port usage.

Infact part of Gedo's fortunes have to do with the fact that there is more remittance money sent back to Gedo then any other region. The U.N wrote a report saying that money sent back was what was keeping Gedo virtually alive during it's dark ages (mid-90's).

quote:
quote: