Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland transfers custody of Oromo man to Ethiopia

ARGEISA, Somalia Oct 22 (Garowe Online) - Authorities in Somalia's self-declared Republic of Somaliland transferred custody of an Oromo detainee over to the Ethiopian government, a rights worker told Garowe Online.

The Oromo man, named Mohamed Ahmed, went missing from the Somaliland capital of Hargeisa where he lived on October 15.

Saleban Ismail Bulale, director of local human rights organization Horn Watch, told Garowe Online that Mr. Ahmed's relatives contacted him about the missing man.

He indicated that Horn Watch investigated the matter and discovered that Mr. Ahmed was in the custody of Somaliland authorities, who did not formally charge him with a crime.

"They [authorities] refused to discuss the matter with us," Mr. Bulale said, while condemning the Somaliland administration for extraditing a civilian over to the Ethiopian government, where he could be tortured.

The Oromo people are an ethnic group in Ethiopia, some of whom have been fighting against Addis Ababa for self-determination of "Or

The Oromo people, an ethnic group that lives in Ethiopia in big numbers, have been fighting Addis Ababa for self-determination rights for their home region for decades.

In recent years, Somaliland authorities have been accused of extraditing ethnic Somalis whom Addis Ababa suspects are supporters of the ****** insurgency in eastern Ethiopia.

Somaliland officials did not respond to our inquiries for comment.

Abwaan   

lol...JB and magacee ku hadlaysaa? Ma dowlad baad u hadlaysaa? Ma Wasaaradda Arrimaha Gudaha? Ma Xabsiyada? And give us a proof that this did not happen and if it did not where is the Oromo man? Haddii kale wakhtiga ha naga lumin....

Have i said it didn't happen ???

It is just an accusation ... we just need to wait for the replay. You can't be guilty just coz i did accuse you of something.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Ask me first if it happened ....... it is just an accusation.

It happened before, so wake up and smell the qaxwa! Last time two Somali men who grew up in Hargeisa and were married to Somalilanders disappeared only for their friends and family to find out they been secretly handed to Ethiopia. Don't live in denial brother.

AYOUB   

^^ Fair enough. Mohamed Ahmed might still be in a secret custody somewhere in SL. Even that is deplorable. The least you can do is speak up against it. If someone does something wrong, they should be prosecuted through the open legal system.

He indicated that Horn Watch investigated the matter and discovered that Mr. Ahmed was in the custody of Somaliland authorities, who did not formally charge him with a crime.

"They [authorities] refused to discuss the matter with us," Mr. Bulale said, while condemning the Somaliland administration for extraditing a civilian over to the Ethiopian government, where he could be tortured.

The signs are not good.

Originally posted by Norf 1:

Is this who you will be voting for ya JB?

Stop giving Riyale this much credit. This is bigger than just one man. Blame the whole Somaliland Political establishments, courts and whatever.

You people need to stop using Riyale as a scapegoat. If Tomorrow Siilanyo gets elected we will not blame him for local arrests that happen in Berbera.

This is not a good news.

Reasonable people understand though that if it were up to the somali people in the North, this would not have happened. When your center falls, you just have to tolerate this humiliating relationship with Ethiopia or with any other interested parties to survive! I dont blve the admin in Hargeysa hates Oromos or ONLFs. They commit these undignified crimes, just like PL does, to survive.

Dignity lies in the return of Somali state. Once unity returns, Somalis will once again regain their lost sharaf IA.

ilax   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

It is not a denial sxb. Wax ha la hubsado ma xuma. Now stop being seef la bood and let's see if it is true or not.

Hubsiimaha dhiman ma inuu kuu sheegaaa kan hargaysa jooga, Riyalo or what so ever. Dadkan islaamka ah laga gancsanayo aqoonsi ma lagu heli. Ethiopia tageerisiyaasadeed oo ka baxsan danaheda ma ka halaysan waaye haddii ad ka heshaan intee in laég waaye. Marka xigta nimnkan SOMALIDII dhiibahayay miyaa oromo u daahi.

AYOUB   

They commit these undignified crimes, just like PL does, to survive.

Dignity lies in the return of Somali state. Once unity returns, Somalis will once again regain their lost sharaf IA.

Xiinow that's just a theory. Lots of other supposedly strong countries are involved in this shameful behaviour. Pakistan with nukes hands over its citizens without qualms. Libya with all its wealth sacrificed its innocent citizens so sanctions could be lifted. Even Gen. Barre at his peak helped German soldiers kill Palestinians at that famous airport incident in Xamar. In my opinion, it boils down to a combination of lack of Taqwa, dishonour and greed. The people prepared to hand over fellow Muslim today will do the same tomorrow no matter what State exists.

NGONGE   

^^ In the examples you give, do they pick random people of the street and hand them over? Why this particular Oromo man? Why the ones before him?

Sheekado sharaf eyo dignity maha, like Xiin is trying to say above. It's not even one about 'fellow muslims'. It is about the safety of the majority. If your presence in my land (Somaliland, Puntland or Mangolia) is going to harm my people then I want you out. If you insist on staying even though you've seen how I treated others before you then it is YOUR fault and nobody else's.

Of course, all this becomes null and void if your answer to my first question (about it being a random arrest) is YES. :D