Sign in to follow this  
A New Born

Define Somaliland

I´ve a problem defining who is a Somalilander.

After asking many ppl that are BORN or belong to the Northern sub clans i ONLY got confused.

My freind "Awil" was born n raised in Mogadishu, he speaks, lives n acts like a "Mogadishu boi",he shares VERY little except tribal route with Northern guyz ,STILL he is considered a Somalilander by many of his Nolander and punlander freinds.

while Jama (another freind)who is born n raised at Hargeisa tells me that is and considers himself a Somali not a Somalilander.

Then there is Aisha ( a freind´s gf )who is born at Borama but was raised in Mogadishu n considers herself a "PURE" somalilander, though her Nolander and puntlander freinds consider her "Mogadishu girl".

Then There is Abdiwahid who is born at Buhodle and considers himself a Somalilander, not to forget Jama born n raised at Hargeisa who considers himself a 1st class Somalilander, last but not least there Ahmed born n raised at Burco who sometimes considers himself not ONLY a Somalilander but it´s backbone but sometimes Somali considers himself n acts as a Somali.

As u can understand i´m confused.

It has gone to the extent i´ve to watch how i address and talk to my ONLY few somali freinds who happen to belong to the Northern sub clans.

Frankly speaking i do find myself sympathizing more with Aisha who considers herself a Somalilander and want a seperate soverign STATE than i sympathize with Jama( the weirdo from Hargeisa).

now.. am i alone in this paradoxy ?

OG_Girl   

Don't be confused my dear. I was born and raised in Kuwait also my dad never been in Somali region my ancentries from BUT still I am from Qabridahare, doesn't matter where I was born or raised what language or dialog I speak still I belong where my great great grand father from!!

In my case is strange , yeah I admit , maybe cause Ethiopian colonised my Land!! But eitherways DOESN'T matter what language I speak but I belong where my ancestries from. that is why I tell I am Somali not Kuwaiti(where I was born and raised) , not Egyption(My mom's nationality) But I follow my father.

Salam

Xarago   

Originally posted by J B:

now.. am i alone in this paradoxy ?

Well on one hand yes you are and on the other no you are not. Let me elaborate more on the latter. There are people who share with you cause they believe the unity of Somali weyn is irreconcilible and sacred. Those that believe so disregard the rational the unity itself was mutually formed and established among the parties that it merged. Therefore their paradox is of self inflicted confussion.

Now as for the former it depends on whether you yourself are in the same category as those I defined earlier or are genuine. If you are sincere in your seeking then here it is: Somaliland is in the horn of Africa bordered by Somalia , Ethiopia and Djibouti. It is a former British colony and became independent on 26 June 1960, On 1st of July with its own consent and in the spirit of nationalism united with the Southern part of Somalia under the colony of the Italians. Step that haunted them and came to regret for the following 30 years.

Will continue if you first comprehend this far smile.gif

OG_GIRL .... i understand you VERY well honey , n i´m proud of ppl like you taking a pride in their ancestries, but as for my paradox , it is rather somewhat twisted as am getting deffrent definations of the TERM "Somalilander".

Xarago : i really deeply appreciate ya efforts to eloberate on ma paradoxy, so you may continue n enlight me in peace , just one TINY thing, try to be more specefic , use less metaphors ( i´m a lil bit retarded ;) ). deviding your hands is already consuming lots of my brain cells ;) on the left hand you´re telling me that is is a "self inflicted confussion " on the right hand you´re telling me that IT DEPENDS on my sincerity n if it is a genuine one ( which it is ) you´re giving a geography lesson ;) .

This is scary .. maybe i was not clear enough about my paradoxy. i´ve no problem whatissoever with Somaliland ( the political TERM ) i understand that very well , it is rather the Somalilanders that i can´t define them.

Do you consider yourself a Somalilander ? if so on what terms? and vice versa ;)

Xarago   

^^ lool^^

Well I cant help you differentiate your left from your right hand, joking I can understand where you coming from.

Ok so lets put aside the Somaliland as a state you understand that much. So for the Somalilander question. To be honest it is a newly coined word and it does not have any meaning semantically, but as it stands it is refered to people from Somaliland. Never the less the people from Somaliland are ethnically Somalis as from those from anywhwere else in the World.

Finally as in your earlier post which you refered to the Jamac who is clan wise from Somaliland but born in Mogadishu hence wishes its allegiance to remain with the latter because of its ties. Then that is no different from the Jamac born in USA, Uk, etc. who wish to do the same.

I hope that failry answeres your paradox cause I dont want to indulge on the statehood of Somaliland since you did not query.

OG_Girl   

CITIZEN: means an individual who descended[8] from persons who were resident in the territory of Somaliland on 26 June 1960 or before, and a person who had Somaliland citizenship conferred on him lawfully.

How do they know I was there before 26 june 1960?? Every one can claim NO?

As far as I know somalis or most of them don't have birth certificate?

just need explaination .

Salam

Originally posted by Xarago:

So for the Somalilander question. To be honest it is a newly coined word and it does not have any meaning semantically, but as it stands it is refered to people from Somaliland. Never the less the people from Somaliland are ethnically Somalis as from those from anywhwere else in the World.

If i understand you right , what you´re saying is that Soamlilanders are Somalis (ethnically) i.e they´re Somalis , well so are the Nolanders and Puntlanders ;)

Suldanka ... If citizenship is defined and granted to ONLY person(s) descending from ppl who lived in a given territory under a specific time.

Then that means the ppl who belong to the Northern sub clans but descend from what is today knows as ******IA and many other parts of SOMALIA are everything but Somalilanders. n that itself IS an insult to many die hard Somalilanders i know of ,

Suldanka .. are you SURE that you´re not here to confuse me more?

OG_GIRL .... sweet thing they can tell that you don´t descend from the Northern sub clans .. All they need to do is compare your gens to the gen Databse in Hargeisa , the Interior minster office is in charge of the imagiration department , which runs (owns) the gen Databse and Voila .. no match icon_razz.gif

Xarago ... i´m down for ya honesty .. plz dnt abandon me with Suldanka , u never know he´s got in his back pocket ;)

Xarago   

Patriot am from SOmaliland and am not a Somalilander. I'm a Somali from an independent state called Somaliland. Please stop this lander thing.

lol@JB

No, I am not sure... you confused me more sxb... :D

Sxb, this is a question of nationality and not ethnicity. There is a quite a difference between the two. Ethnically, the people of Somaliland are Somalis, but nationality-wise, they are Somalilanders. Just think of Iraq, Kuwait, Syria etc, the people of these countries are ethnically Arabs, but nationality-wise they are Iraqis, Kuwaitis, Syrians respectfully.

If I say, I am a Somali from Somaliland, is the same as saying "I am a Somalilander". that is according to my limited understanding anyways.

How do they know I was there before 26 june 1960?? Every one can claim

It is not as hard a job as you thought my dear. The term used "resident" is talking about long time residents or homeowners, not people on transit or lived in there temporarily.

Xarago   

Originally posted by Suldaanka:

If I say, I am a Somali from Somaliland, is the same as saying "I am a Somalilander". that is according to my limited understanding anyways.

With all due respect Suldaanka does it not bit sound as if we are landing on Somali.

My point is Suldanka we existed 4 days before the south as an independent nation and we were Somalis, the term Soomaalileyn was coined by the south. Thus the neo Somalilander endorses that word which is non existant.

By being Somali Suldaan it does not all diminsh my statehood neither creates a reason for me to be part of a union which I created and later parted with it for the interest of generations to come.

Qudhac   

please people stop going in circles we have been through this boring subject for million times..

somaliland is just a region like any others regions in the world and if you happen to trace your origins and descendancy to this region with clear borders then you are citizen of this region... its quite simple really, if where born and raised somewhere else but you desended from this region then you have right to claim citizenship as thats where your origins are...

patriot brother you are actually wrong about the qabiil thing there is nothing that revers to qabiil in the citizenship law all it says is that if your parents decended from somaliland before the union with somalia.

also somali is ETHNICITY not NATIONALITY just like ARAB is ethnicity and not nationality, the arab in Iraq is not less arab than the one from Saudia arabia or kuwait or any other arab just like WE ALL SOMALIS no matter where our borders lie.

OG_Girl   

Xarago, you are good ;)

Qurac, Iran not Arab my friend , they are Persian .

Suldaanka , I have other question.. Somalis as a nomads they used to go where there is water and food for their animals... If one of them went there and sattle down without having any clan connection ..ofcourse that person wont be home owner as is nomad from Badeyah!!

Will be somalilander citizen ??

Salam

NGONGE   

while Jama (another freind)who is born n raised at Hargeisa tells me that is and considers himself a Somali not a Somalilander.

Then there is Aisha ( a freind´s gf )who is born at Borama but was raised in Mogadishu n considers herself a "PURE" somalilander, though her Nolander and puntlander freinds consider her "Mogadishu girl".

Then There is Abdiwahid who is born at Buhodle and considers himself a Somalilander, not to forget Jama born n raised at Hargeisa who considers himself a 1st class Somalilander, last but not least there Ahmed born n raised at Burco who sometimes considers himself not ONLY a Somalilander but it´s backbone but sometimes Somali considers himself n acts as a Somali.

It’s not just you and everyone here who are confused, saaxib. Sounds like your friend Jama is more confused than us all (or do you have two friends named Jama who were born in Hargeisa?) :rolleyes:

Or maybe, just maybe, this is some “confused†way to prove a “confused†theory that you have. I’m confused now, saaxib. Please rescue me from this confusing paradox! icon_razz.gif

With all due respect Suldaanka does it not bit sound as if we are landing on Somali

I just hope we will land on Somali soil :D

My point is Suldanka we existed 4 days before the south as an independent nation and we were Somalis

We are still Somalis... nothing changed, we are just being more specific. Which Somalis? Somalilanders, of course. :D

the term Soomaalileyn was coined by the south

maybe Somalileyn, but Somaliland is the name of the country.

By being Somali Suldaan it does not all diminsh my statehood neither creates a reason for me to be part of a union which I created and later parted with it for the interest of generations to come.

of course, that is why I am perfectly ok with both terms. The only difference is that, one is just more specific and to the point then the other.

OG_Girl

If one of them went there and sattle down without having any clan connection ..ofcourse that person wont be home owner as is nomad from Badeyah!!

Will be somalilander citizen ??

There are certain rules and regulations that govern who is a Somalilander and who is not. What is the use of borders unless they are there to seperate politically between countries.

In relation to this problem, in theory, they are not Somalilanders, But in reality who can tell? I mean it has always been difficult to associate Somalis to a particular region of origin. This problem will remain, as long as there are no proper population identification system and there is weak border controls.