Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

A New Wave of Separatism

It's unlikely such a secession would receive world backing however, with the more likely candidate for such support being Somaliland, a separatist republic in Somalia. Having declared independence back in 1991 it has yet to receive any recognition but signs are growing that the situation may change. Ongoing civil war in Somalia has made the stable and democratic government in Somaliland look increasingly appeal to all interested parties and as it opted into the country of Somalia it has greater standing for independence than other secessionist groups.

Of particular interest are the actions of Ethiopia. Having gone into Somalia in 2006 to prevent the Islamic Courts Union from dominating the country the Ethiopian government is seeing itself in an increasingly untenable position. The Prime Minister of Ethiopia, Meles Zenawi, has hinted Ethiopian troops may pull out of the country though calling for African Union troops to take their place. Any pullout could also involve a two-state solution being pursued with Somalia by recognizing the Republic of Somaliland as independent, a move which would likely receive the support of western governments. Supposedly this scenario would involve Somaliland deploying troops to help fight against the Islamic Courts Union and expelling member of the ****** Liberation Front residing in Somaliland. It also is possible the situation represents a distancing between Ethiopia and Puntland which has been implicated in actions supporting pirates in the area.

This could also insure increased support for Somaliland among Western governments already pursuing closer relations with them. With Puntland possibly backing piracy against Western ships and southern Somalia wracked by violence Somaliland would likely appear to be the only pro-Western and democratic region of the country not under foreign control. As such it is of little surprise that security ties with the French seem to be improving with Somaliland officials saying French security operations in the region include actions launched from the unrecognized state. This is a policy to try and increase the chance of recognition from France as is a trip to meet with European leaders by Somaliland's president with trips to France, Germany, and the United Kingdom planned including an appeal for the European Union to treat Somaliland separate from Somalia with regards to foreign aid. A visit by the African Union envoy to Somalia could also signal possible action by them to recognize Somaliland. The U.S. is also looking at increasing aid to Somaliland and is increasing contacts with breakaway government which could help pave the way for recognition. Should the situation in Somalia deteriorate considerably a concerted action similar to the one in Kosovo could take place though possibly following the 2009 elections there.

READ MORE

me   

Dadka waqooyi galbeed ha is weydiiyaan, is the scenario put forward by this article in their interest?

1. Do the bidding of foreign powers

2. Attack their brothers (ICU, ONLF)

3. Become a lackey of these foreign powers

4. Be always at their mercy and never develop independently?

Marka even if you really believe in alienating yourself from the rest of the Somali people, would it still be in your interest to go down this road of becoming a ‘protectorate/prostitute of Ethiopia and ‘western powers’? I wonder what your answer is.

me   

This is not a debate but points to keep in mind when reading the article.

We should not scour the internet and copy and paste any rubbish we see and in event that we do that we do such a thing, we should at least analyse the article objectively.

The reader should ask himself/herself

1. What are the motives are of the author?

2. What are the motives of the poster?

3. Are the arguments in this article valid arguments?

4. Is the scenario put forward in this article good for my people? If so how is it good for my people?

5. Are there parallels with these events in our history, if yes how did it end the last time we choose foreigners over our brothers and sisters?

Then i should let you do the analysis while i'm busy doing other things for my people and country ,,,, tell me when you finish this and i'll give you another assignment ,,,

me   

Everyone should use his or her brains and come to their own conclusions and that goes for you too. Ask yourself questions before assuming anything.

It is true that Somaliland has the attention of the International community for the moment. with the
increasing violence in Somalia
and the other problems in the horn Somaliland's case will be granted soon.

Rooble Mohamed

Hoping the stars would line up eh. And how soon is soon?

Supposedly this scenario would involve Somaliland deploying troops to help fight against the Islamic Courts Union and expelling member of the ****** Liberation Front residing in Somaliland.

War on terror eh? awood badanaa, troop deployment xaal qaado. :D

To Jacaylbaro:

I thought you abandoned your secessionist leanings after our debate not too long ago. Waa maxay waxaan aad wadatid,"A New Wave of Separatism". Ninyahow sheekadaan goormaad ka weenaanaysaa? :D

Originally posted by dhulQarnayn:

quote:

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

unkown, Have you ever heard of
"ku qabso ku qadi mayside"
?

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

We don't want to secede. We just want our independence back after the union.

First, the union did come with the intended objectives to bring all somalis together. It remained only North and South. Djibouti was the first to break that dream. The other two were occupied anyway.

Second, why unite with a chaos when you can be your own ? .... I can't see a country where i can (or one can) argue to unite with. I don't want civil war here. Currently there is no one i could talk to for re-unification if that is even possible.

Third, the union brought its fruits and the reward was killing, jailing and torturing our people. The people suffered from the 30 years of union worse than the did with the colonial powers.

Finally, There was a rush to unite with the south right after the independence. People were so exited to unite and they didn't think properly the details of such union but the emotions of the wadaninimo and qiiro was occupying the minds of the people. It is time to stand alone and to correct those mistakes.

In Conclusion:

I support the union and that is in the hearts of every single Somali living in this world. Somalis will unite one time Insha Allah no matter what but i believe this is not the right time. We need time to forget what heppened and prepare for the next round sxb.

Somaliland needs time to recover from what happened, sort its issues by it is own and take some rest. Somalia needs more time to clean its house, bring peace, build governance, rebuild the country and recover from the deadly civil wars.

After that ,, Yes we can TALK about re-unification but this time with conditions.

Jacaylbaro
, walaale, I've been trying to be polite and at the same time, knock some sense into you head. But it is proving rather difficult. So I'll put the politeness aside for a minute, and call you out on your nonsense. Saaxiib, from the bottom of my heart... Screw your "independence" from the union! :mad:

The so-called union was just an unfortunate anomaly in the history of our nation because northwest Somalia became a British colony in 1884,while the rest of Somalia became so-called Italian somaliland in 1889. All your arguments for seccession or as you say "independence" is essentially based on this historical fact, right?

And so because the northwest was colonised by the British in 1884 and thereafter, your argument goes, you have a seperate country....bullocks mate!

Saaxiib, the colonialism that most Somalis had suffered was about the conquest, domination and exploitaion of our people by europeans, and that will NEVER legitimize the lame excuse you use all the time, which basically says we were under the rule of a different white man(i.e british) thereby I am from a different type of Somali country. If that aint lame, I don't know what is? horta iskuma xishootaan miyaa?

Jacaylbaro
, sir, northwest Somalia prior to the arrival of the white man was just another sub-marginal land of the great Somali peoples of the horn of Africa. Tell me...Did it ever have a distinct social or political characteristic that FUNDAMENTALLY separated it from the rest of Somalia? I doubt that very much saaxiib. The people of northwest Somalia are just the same as the people of the rest of Somalia.

Long before the British arrived, all the Somali peoples of the horn of Africa shared and to this day,still do, historical, cultural, religious and linguistic unifying traits.So despite the serious hiccups of the colonization of the Somali people, our common identity still thrives. We still share a common homeland and culture,a common origin, a shared faith in Islam and a unifying language.

So if you still insist on rejecting our common Somali identity and shared traits, it is incumbent upon you to convince me or any other Somali that the northwest is separate geographically and socially, without harking back to your clan identity. Which I believe,sad as it may be, is all you got going for you, to buttress your arguement for seccession. And such an arguement will never hold any water. So instead of proclaiming your hate for other Somali communities, I urge you to negotiate a compromise with your fellow Somalis.

Sheekadaan qabiilka ku saleysan, meelna uma socoto, waayo qabiil dartiis hadaad rabtaan inaad u go'daan, qabiiilo badan aan idinka ina raacsanayn ayaa buuxa oo ku nool former british somaliland, and those people just like you have rights and interests which I'm sure they're willing to die for, and will always fight against domination and subjugation by your clan. PERIOD.

Finally,
Jacaylbaro
, stop manipulating the uneducated masses of awdal, waqooyigalbeed and partial Sanaag. Stop promoting clanism for selfish ends...waayo Somali qabiil waxba iskagama qaadi kartee.

You should remember,
"ku qabso ku qadi mayside"
, dadkii alifay ayaad meeshaan kula shaxeesaa ee
;)

dhulQarnayn :cool:

Republic Of California

me   

^isn't that a dangerous and unwanted generalization? and how does such a view about a large part of the Somali population contribute to seeing ourselves as brothers and sisters if not allies in the struggle for the liberation of all the Somalis?

Originally posted by Abtigiis &Tolka:

For JB's Kins(seediyaashay), 'Fa.qa.sh' are worse than Yuhuuda. Ask Xaaji Xundjuf!

:D

Walaale A&T, kulama yaabayo-- Waayo maanta waa yara isku dhexyaacday ee!

dhulQarnayn :cool:

Republic Of California

ilax   

a Chimpenzee politics.To seceed, get on borad war on terror, send troops to Moqdisho to stabilise. Hand over to Ethiopia all suspected ONLF, courts men and other fleeing Somalis. Then, Meles will love you. And finaly claim your are Zionist in origin, that is the short cut, if i get you MR JB. Politics is not at the side of Somalis. Sory for that.

A& T, sory for that, I got you, right.

DhulQarnayn, You haven't mentioned any of the issues Jacalybaro talked about. Instead you decide to discuss pre colonial Somalia/Somaliland. You mention we Somali's are all the same, but when we were united we weren't treated equally. Finally how can Somaliweyn exist, if Djibouti wants nothing to do with it; Somaliland is seeking independance, and the other two are occupied and are better off this way. So I would say you (Somalia) go your way and we'll (SL) go ours.