Sign in to follow this  
Waaq

Demonstrations against peacekeeping force

Gediid   

Baashi

And I thought you were older than all this but I guess I was wrong...... icon_razz.gif

Back to the drawing boards it is to find that mature Puntlander who we could have a decent,mature discussion minus all the propoganda of course... ;)

Breaking News

Ciidamo laguqayaasay tiradooda ilaa iyo 50 kun ayaa lasheegayaa in dhamaadka bishaan tagi doonaan ilaa iyo groowe. Arintaan ayaa lgu micneeyay in uu yahay mid ay go aan sadeen madaxda somaliland in ay kusoo xirtaan xuduudaada oo ay siisay britsh inta ay doowlada somalia tagin. :D:D

wixii dheeraad ah oo amuurtaan waan idila soo socod siindoonaa.

or go to www.quraafaad.com

Baashi – aside the low blows from the opposing camps, here is my breakdown of the conjecture put forth considering the situation in present day Somalia. Unorthodox one might argue, but here is a brief account.

I would advise to alienate neither groups, the political leaders (warlords) and Islamic Courts (lawlords) given their muscle, devotees, and economic influence in and around Mogadishu whilst observing the sensitivity of others elsewhere; I however strongly encourage the FTs. So how does one reconcile these two incongruous, yet apparently mutually exclusive ideas? I suggest the following:

• Establish a seat for the government which would comprise of the Presidency, the Executive and the top officers of the Legislature in Baydhabo*. MPs however would relocate to their respective regions including the capital,

• Deploy security forces comprising solely of FTs in Baydhabo and other parts of the country excluding Mogadishu in the initial phase since Mogadishu is the only city to have thus far voiced its objection to the FTs, hence honouring the concerns of the populace,

• Instigate a pilot training and disarming project for armed militias elsewhere in the country including Bay & Bakool and the Jubbas and Shabelles as well as in Puntland whilst a comprehensive, Mogadishu-specific disarmament plan is being drawn out. This further dispels the notion as discussed in some corners that inaYusuf wants to massacre the people of Mogadishu. It further writes off the unqualified argument against FTs – their bringing in decease and social ills whilst prejudicial and arrogant was never valid, convincing argument; (allow me to shock you for a moment - consider the value of a single soldier – no less than $1 billion; and whilst you are at it, give some thought to the value of the life of a Somali person today – ( )),

• Simultaneously, the Premier and the President should open dialogue with lawlords in Somalia, Mogadishu in particular,

• And since ministers of warlordism credence lack basic conception of government framework, its policies and strategies, occupied with training, projects and trips including foreign and local journeys they should be. More trouble than they are worth, I trust they are if left to their wares.

With these in place, one serves multiple objects. Firstly, by listening to the voices of the general public, one wins their sympathy and votes, hence cognisant of their concerns, legitimate or otherwise - being heard, addressed, and not suppressed. Secondly, with Mogadishu remaining FTs-free zone, this would serve as a symbolic gesture to the armed militias in Mogadishu that not only is the government serious about peace and reconciliation, but it is also receptive to opposing views and parties. Thirdly, with negotiations in due process with the lawlords, potential threat level from that front shall diminish. And fourthly, with no invading FTs, rowdy ministers, mostly of warlordism credence, with potential to misconstrue government’s policies to further own ignoble interests shall remain utilised within the government, and so shall their legitimacy as government officials, and not freelance leaders, validated. However, first and foremost the government must speak to its people, address their worries and dispel any illusory, illegitimate concerns. Thus far, they had failed to do so, and all the while their opposition is busy planting insidious, unduly fictitious notions in the minds of the weary, credulous general public.

*Equally significant is the relocation to Baydhabo which serves a number of purposes. Firstly, its operations on Somali soil shall legitimise in principal the entity that is of the government as it is no longer a government in exile. It already enjoys the support of 15 out of the original 18 regions (excluded are Somaliland and segments of Mogadishu’s residents – one must not assume all Mogadishu is opposing the government). No longer is the government using up funds and resources that could benefit the locals in foreign capitals – its presence is good for the local economy. Secondly, now that the real and hard work of reconciliation, rehabilitation, disarmament and realisation of Somalia’s worries shall commence with MPs and Ministers busy with their day to day operations. No longer will a minister or an MP speak out of his a'rse in boredom in Nairabi preying on the vulnerabilities of the innocent and emotions of the disorientated many– ambitious I know. Thirdly, from the strategic perspective, its location bears significance – whilst it is close to the capital for future relocation, yet it is further enough to sustain its operations and fedd off any potentially precarious spill-over from the capital.

Digressed I know, but boowe, let us wait for the Council of Ministers to decide upon its location whilst the Parliament debates the case for and against FTs for the coming days … I shall rest the short version there for the day ….

tata ...

Baashi   

Rahima, Lander is a seasoned nomad. He understands that the beauty of foruming is to have fun with faceless characters. Besides, he got a thick skin for my lil kaftan.

Gediid, where are ur manners son! behave...hadalka odoyaasha laguma qabto icon_razz.gif

Samurai, we are on the same page here...kinda of! As the Somali saying goes sidee xeego loo xagtaa ilkana u nabad galaan, the old man has some balancing to do. He seems to be listening! That gives me hope, imagine the old man learning to delegate and embracing the role of advicers have in governance and politics as well :D

So, the day has arrived, and Somalia’s parliament rubberstamps FTs to penetrate Somalia with the exclusion of frontline states (provided one goes along with the opponents of frontline FTs). Does this alter the discernment of FTs? Does it negate FTs’s involvement in militia disarmament?

Does this mean Mogadishu lords (war and law) shall bow out with pleasure, dignity and relinquish the weapons at leisure?

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Samurai Warrior:

with no invading FTs, rowdy ministers, mostly of warlordism credence, with potential to misconstrue government’s policies to further own ignoble interests shall remain utilised within the government, and so shall their legitimacy as government officials, and not freelance leaders, validated. However, first and foremost the government must speak to its people, address their worries and dispel any illusory, illegitimate concerns. Thus far, they had failed to do so, and all the while their opposition is busy planting insidious, unduly fictitious notions in the minds of the weary, credulous general public.

Excellent point

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by Gediid:

The situtation in Mogadisho is beyond tribes.If this was in the 90's I would agree but the scenerio there now is beyond tribes or one warlord against another.It is at a point where it now has a multitude of actors who are driven by personal profit rather than qabiil.I think the wise people of Mogadisho now know that and are willing to sacrifice all and everything to live in peace once again.Its just that the solution chosen by the TFG wasn't one they had anticipated.A more prudent approach would have sufficed to meet their support.

Bro Gediid, you are on spot. Many in Xamar not only wanted and still want this government, but it was a sweet revenge on Men who stripped them of everything. Instead of capitalizing on that sentiment, some had the lack of wisdom of treating the average person and equate them with the warlords.

Some of the men here talk about one tribe holding hostage the peace, is Caydid Jr a tribe unto his own? Is Atto a tribe unto his Own? When you talk like that, all you are doing is show others where you stand. Ethiopia has no place in Somalia. Those who oppose it on whatever grounds, be it religious, long-standing animosity or supporting their thug in the parliament who opposes it, have the better argument. Somalis should come to the conclusion that we can go ahead with this process without Ethiopia. If that is not acceptable to everyone, all is left is the blame-game and pointing fingers at others without self-examination.

Originally posted by Samurai Warrior:

So, the day has arrived, and Somalia’s parliament rubberstamps FTs to penetrate Somalia with the exclusion of frontline states (provided one goes along with the opponents of frontline FTs). Does this alter the discernment of FTs? Does it negate FTs’s involvement in militia disarmament?

I wouldn’t characterize Parliament’s vote as a rubberstamp, but government’s initiative achieved some success as this vote paves the way for the introduction of foreign troops. With or without frontline states, these troops are intended to support this government restore governance in Somalia. And that does not alter the discernment of FTs. In that sense, the president got what he wanted!

Does this mean Mogadishu lords (war and law) shall bow out with pleasure, dignity and relinquish the weapons at leisure?

It all boils down how one reads parliament’s vote. I for one, read it as a win-win proposition where opponents exercised their political muscle and brought down one important (but not critical) clause in the governments bill BUT failed to halt the momentum of introducing foreign troops (Frontline or not, foreign they are). Now, one has to realize that Mr.Yusuf’s relationship with frontline states stands unscathed. So do his plan to relocate the capital to Baidoba.

What’s next? Could this embolden opponents and provide the much-needed fuel to steel another base? Or is it waning strike of men who’re fighting a war that they’re destined to loose?

PS. I personally thought insisting Ethiopia’s inclusion was a foolish policy!

Xoogsade   

LOL, weligey sidaan maanta u farxay uma farxin. Baydhabo magaalo soomaaliyeed waaye, wax ku jaban malahan in la aado although Amxaaro is a walk away from there still. The more this government is away from Mogadishu, the less likely it will gain the strength it requires to bring a change in The country. The only reason people are running from it, is the assumption that Abdullahi Yusuf won't be effective among the wolves. That is the wrong assumption. He is the president and is needed overthere along with his government and people are extending their hands to him. He trusts he wins, he doesn't, he looses. Xamarna will not miss the Capital title if ultimately fate decides so. All somalis will lose by that and not only specific clan or subclans just in case the proponents think they are going to harm anyone specific with that measure.