Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Detaining and sending political dissents in exile in Somaliland

Baashi   

SL Chauvinism is so blinding to its practitioners and at times too selective so much so that Ali Tuur, pro-unity politician, gets warm reception and handshake at the presidential palace…Jama gets deported. So much of justice!

Once words, and the thoughts they reflect, are subject to retribution, North-westerners are no longer entitled to the description ‘democratic’ province :D . The concept of a free society is predicated on the absence of any restriction on thoughts and words

Jama was imprisoned and deported for holding opinions and speaking words that the rulers of the day – ex-NSS officer and his handlers considered undesirable, which is the definition of political crime - the use of power to reproduce structures of domination. With 97% of voters in favor of independence, a loner, discredited, pro-unity politician should not pose any problems to the government...or so we were told! All this upstanding Somali citizen could count on was his sub-clan's support...they delivered, the nomadic way, but they were overwhelmed by the government militia.

bari_nomad

bro, i am not anti-somalia and i have nothing but respect for my brothers down south. the ones that i hate are those warlords you guys look up to, in the warlord conference in kenya.

the crime that yamac yare commited was claiming to represent somaliland when our president had warned somalilanders that if someone did that he would face the consequences.

he has obviously misrepresented the somaliland governement when he went to that warlord conference.

Blessed   

That is the same thing Siyad used to do. Come to think of it, the UDUB government seem to be copy cating Siyaads policies ... what next :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ppl should have the right to express their opnion wether it contradics the governments or not!

I dunno know about treason laws though... if Gallowway (spl) disagrees with Blair publically, does that give Blair the right to put him in exile? Sorry, I understand British politics better ... if the answer is no... then how is Jamac different to Galloway?

As a lander, doesn't Jamac have a right to express his disagreement with the government? I mean i can sort of understand it being different if he claimed to be representing the government .... but if it was a case of him saying that as a lander.. he didn't agree with seccession .... is Riyaale right to put him in exile?

Gediid   

Ameeneh

Siyaad never deported anyone,he shot most of them point blank or sentenced the lucky ones to life imprisonment.Warlords roaming around in Somalia are copycats of that legacy.

Take the case of Somalilanad's nearest neighbour Abdillahi Yusuf,he will arrange a nasty demise(sic) if you oppose his ways but I guess some people here are more interested in other people's issues while hoping their own problems will fade away with the magic wand of a foreign nation.Keep talking human rights and freedom of speech when none of you can practice that in your own area.

I guess thats the price Somaliland has to pay for giving its citizens peace in an area where the word in itself has been forgotten for the past 12 years.

This kinda thing exposes a lot about Somaliland. The public is misinformed, cheated and fed on unjustified hatred for Southerners..which is crazy. And when a respected man understands the simple fact that we share more than what divides us, things get even wilder and people get hurt. Riyaale is a walking disgrace, his handlers even worse. Beware of the truth- it is a dangerous thing!

Freedom of thought, which implies the possibility of choosing between different ideas, perspectives, and points of views, is what was being challenged by the administration in Hargeysa in the case of Gen. Ghalib. A government totalitarian in nature that controls the raw material (thinking, information, and language) can in principal enslave the minds of the people without them even realising they are not free to practice own thinking.

It is the young on the forum who scurry around without a moment’s hesitation to condone these acts which worries me more than anything else.

Cheers.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Gediid:

Ameeneh

Siyaad never deported anyone,he shot most of them point blank or sentenced the lucky ones to life imprisonment.Warlords roaming around in Somalia are copycats of that legacy.

Take the case of Somalilanad's nearest neighbour Abdillahi Yusuf,he will arrange a nasty demise(sic) if you oppose his ways but I guess some people here are more interested in other people's issues while hoping their own problems will fade away with the magic wand of a foreign nation.Keep talking human rights and freedom of speech when none of you can practice that in your own area.

I guess thats the price Somaliland has to pay for giving its citizens peace in an area where the word in itself has been forgotten for the past 12 years.

I hear you walaalo, laakin, where do we draw the line. today a man is being imprisoned for daring to contradict the government, without even a trial. I mean isn't the whole notion of Somaliland to give the people of that region the rights that they were denied by the former government. The brother has every right to his opinion and to express - unless he is claiming to represent the government , on that I can see why Riyaale is mad. Laakin, to arrest a dude for making a stance against the government makes a mockery of the people of Somaliland.

Besides, how comes Tuur can get away with it but the Jamac dude can't.... whats with the double standards?

This is out of order in my opnion and Somalilanders need to stand agaisnt it .. before this government oes mad and starts taking people's liberties away..... they may not be killing ppl now but who is to say that won't happen if they can get away with it.....!!

If you asked me, Landers are letting UDUB get away with enough shidh... whatever happened to the asssertive outspoken that I once knew :confused: :confused:

Gediid   

Ameeneh

I absolutely agree with your point there that people are too lenient with UBUD but that should not construed to mean that their policies will always be accepted.On the issue of Tuur from what I know he actually requested amnesty from the Somaliland government prior to coming to Hargeysa.He has never publicly claimed to represent Somaliland in any of the gazzilion meetings that the Southern warlords have had.He was above all that but Jama Yare is taking part in the meeting thats taking place as we speak in kenya and in every forum he participated in he showed his dislike for Somaliland and its leaders and above all for the people.Simply put Jama Yare is trouble,keeping him away actually does Somaliland good.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Gediid:

Simply put Jama Yare is trouble,keeping him away actually does Somaliland good.

He is a Hargiesa native, he has the right to live in his home town regardless of wether he likes Somaliland or not .. just like a Brit has the right to live in London despite having anti-monarchy sentiments.

Maybe, they can put an order on him, stop him publically advocating his ideas whilst in Somaliland. But walaalo, to deport him because of his ideas to me seems over-the-top and unjust. I don't see the wisedome behind it!

They have the support of the majority , what difference does one man make?

We start accepting thses cases, the government is going to view it as a passport to do what ever they like?

I have dislike for Somalilands govt. had I gone back to my home town and expressed this dislike ... would that make me a trouble maker, and justify imprisonment... come on :rolleyes:

You are want a democracy or you don't. Simple As!

Gediid   

Ameeneh said

He is a Hargiesa native, he has the right to live in his home town regardless of wether he likes Somaliland or not .. just like a Brit has the right to live in London despite having anti-monarchy sentiments.

Ameeneh, Jama Yare has only lived in Somaliland for only a period of 1 year in 1994 since 1965.The time he was there he has been held responsible for formenting the war that took place then between his clan and the government.Do I want him back to create another unrest especially in light of how the current government lacks the wisdom and political savviness of Ina Egal.....the answer is a BIG NO.I am sure he will not miss Hargeisa and I know for real that a lot of people will not miss him.

BN   

NSS-Based Security Organization in the Making?

Hargeisa (SL Times) - Sources close to the government have told the Somaliland Times that president Dahir Rayale is considering the establishment of a giant security agency for domestic spying.

The agency is expected to be headed by a former officer in the now defunct National Security Service (NSS), the source said.

The new agency will also incorporate the Migration department and the CID, both of which currently come under the Ministry of the Interior, the source added.

According to Somaliland's constitution, the country can only have three types of security forces: the Army, the Police and the Custodial Corps (prison guards).

The security committees established by late president Egal had been declared illegal by the Somaliland House of Representatives. However, the so-called security committees are still operative throughout the regions of Somaliland.

Ambassador Wickstead Raises the Issue of Detainees With Rayale

74-p00.jpg

Hargeisa (SL Times) - The British Ambassador Mr. Myles Wickstead had raised the issue of people arrested by the Somaliland's security authorities in the aftermath of the April 14 presidential election. The people in question are about 10 - 12 SNM war veterans arrested by the authorities on May 19, 2003 in connection with alleged involvement in subversive activities against the state.

Until now no formal charges have been brought by the government against the group.

Mr. Wickstead said that he conveyed to President Dahir Rayale of the need to file charges against the detainees, if there were charges, and to bring them to court as soon as possible. The ambassador also emphasized that the government should investigate if there were cases where the security forces had taken actions beyond their power, following the presidential election, and to take the necessary measures accordingly. Mr. Wickstead indicated that his embassy will follow closely how these cases will be dealt with in the near future.

http://www.somalilandtimes.net

Editorial: Rayale’s Disdain For Due Process

http://www.somalilandtimes.net/2003/74/7413.shtml

bari_nomad

you seem to pounce on every single detail that has gone wrong in somaliland.

first of all the article concerning mr wicksteads visit to hargeysa outlined that he was there becuase the british are going to assist the somaliland health and education ministries. however you failed to mention that but only mentioned the fact that mr wickstead ADVISED riyale that he must be democratic in his security policy.

the new security organisation in somaliland should come very guikly to assist the somaliland police in getting rid of the people who hinder the progress of somaliland's citizens. those munafiqs will be punished for their ignorant deeds.

pro-somaliweyn are more than welcome in somaliland however they must abide the somaliland laws if they dont well they are going to be punished for that.

it's as simple as that.

Rokko   

Hey, Bari_Nomad, A.Tukachevsky is one of the few nomads(Somalilanders specially) who don't start their replies with

Are you sick?

Are you a fool?

That was just a plain s******ity

Are you high on drugs?

You are being a hypocrite

What is wrong with you?

Are you ******

I hate such i*****ic reasoning.

You are ignorant

That was just idiootic.

and many more abusive comments. lol

I like that. He is cool. Keep it up A.Tukachevsky na'mean.

Blessed   

Gediid

I still think the *****s are wrong. I'm not gonna change my mind about that. this can only get worse, today its Jama .............!

i think I've over stated my self here.. Salaams smile.gif