Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Togane speaks again!

Castro   

^ He's not a UN ambassador atheer. He's not a politican or an elected official. He's a citizen and a poet. Questioning the man's religion, his lifestyle, his wherabouts just goes to show how trivial we've become.

Walaaley Rahima, I beg your pardon. The issue here is not whether Togane's criticism is constructive or unconstructive but rather does his words carry any weigh and are they valid?

I would argue very much and say a big YES.

Why do you always have do defend the undefendable.

Don't criticise Togance for he isn't the person who brought this calamity to Moqadishu. Criticise Caato, Indha-madoobe, Yalaxow, Qanyare, Bashiir Raage, Beebe, Ina Deylaf, ina Salad boy, Hassan Dahir Aweys, Maxkamdaha Islaamiga, USC garabka PA, USC garabka SSN, USC garabka SSM, USC garabka PA/SNA, USC garabka SNA, USC garabka FFA,BBC,TTA etc.

BTW to call him what he isn't is a major crime, this guy doesn't drink. He gave it up in 1983 some twenty-three years ago as he mentioned on the interview. He prays five times a day and he is a muslim who practises islaam.

Moqadishu is in a sad state. Why don't you want peace and the rule of law? Why are you holding us hostage for the past fifteen years.

You're wrong and that's all Togane shows you. He loves his tribe more than anyone of you but I can assure that the rest of the Somalis say much worse against you then what Togane said.

Wallaahi I'am disappointed at you Rahima cause you're so controdictive. You don't practice what you preach.

For the sake of the truth come out and condem what is taking place in the capital of Somalia. Do you think it is nice to watch western TV documentaries and programmes saying that Moqadishu is the most dangerous capital on the Universe a and that Moqadishu now is the second most dangerous capital after Baqhdad. Are you proud on that fact? Does it make you happy?

Ofcourse others should be condemned but I believe that the biggest share of your problem lays with your clan.

Your clan holds the keys to the peace in Somalia. All the people especially the International Community looks at Moqadishu. They say if Moqadishu is pacified then they will do everything for us but now they can't do anything.

Why does Moqadishu have 35 warlords with around 60.000 militias and heavy military hardware? How many Islamic courts do you need to pacify the whole city? Why is the city without administration? Where are the security forces? Why is the biggest international airport in Somalia closed? Why is the biggest port in the country closed? Why are they some many crimes committed and the perpertraitors not brought to jusitce? Why is there no jail in Moqadishu?

Why are there so many roadblocks in Moqadishu? Why, Why, Why? answer me walaaley. I need a frank answer.

Don't come up with your usual comparisons and condemnation that all are equal in your eyes. All aren't equal. Some are better than others.

I'll give your one example. When Cadde Muuse was terminal ill in a hospital in Germany waiting for his operation, he decided not to be operated on because he can't be away from the country for more than two months. He had to return from all the way from Germany to Dubai and then to Boosaaso stay there for a couple of ours and then return to Europe simply because he was fulfilling a requirement under the constitution in Puntland. After his return the operation went ahead and now he had 60 days to recover from his operation before eventually returning to Puntland.

You see that's the difference. Wake up to the reality walaaley.

Moqadishu is in a mess and if you don't clean up that mess why are you refusing others to clean it up for you? Simply led them go ahead with it don't you agree Rahima?

Cara.   

^Whoa, there Tonto!

You've gone from arguing that Togane does not practice tribalism to doing so yourself. Hardly a ringing endorsement Togane would appreciate.

Togane speaks from his mind. He may mean good, and I think he does, but his style stinks. I enjoy reading his poems, as they are satire and humorous piece of literature. I think he is genuine in his efforts. And wants Somalia to revive again. But he needs to understand actualities on the ground. He does not have to use tribal names to convey his point. In fact, I can argue that he is taking us back in time as he is replicating the methods of our clannish culture.

There are those who object him because of his style, which is frankly devoid of any consideration to the sensitivity of the people he addresses. They have a point.

There are those who despise him as they see his work as an aide to the enemy. They failed to see his point and probably misread his work. They are clannishly motivated and will never understand any thing above it. They have no point.

Lets separate these two distinct groups, i say. There is a big difference between them.

Castro   

^ And the two groups distinct they are. So what say you, good Xiin, on how Togane could approach this volatile issue differently than he does now? Would being mellow, non-confrontational or even non-abusive get his point across? Does Togane have to play by the same rules we do?

Thanks atheer, that was clarity you spoke amid much chaos.

Gabbal   

^^Actually Togane is no different then any other partisan Soomaali kook engaging in tribal politik. smile.gif Anyone who knows even a thing or two about Somali "politics" can tell you he speaks from his particular self-confessed sub-clan's point of view when writting about his "favorite" group to bash. U fiirso, then come back with what you have seen.

Example

Originally posted by Kashanre:

^^Actually Togane is no different then any other partisan Soomaali kook engaging in tribal politik.
smile.gif
Anyone who knows even a thing or two about Somali "politics" can tell you he speaks from his particular self-confessed sub-clan's point of view when writting about his "favorite" group to bash. U fiirso, then come back with what you have seen.

^^

Sometimes i think you are a Messiah for Somalida... :D

Dude! Are you married by any chance?? i have two younger Sisters. They are all yours[Hadeeynan il kudilin] :D

^^This could be ‘kaftan-dhable’ piece of political satire :D .

Castro, very difficult to say. But one thing he could do is get rid off the tribal names from his work. It does not add any value. He could still be creative and confrontational without reinforcing clannish stereotypes.

Gabbal   

Dude! Are you married by any chance?? i have two younger Sisters. They are all yours[Hadeeynan il kudilin]

kix kix kix :D War ninyahow fikirkaas odayaashi na dalaa looga tagay. ;) In this day and age you need to find your mate, not belonging. :cool: Thanx for the offer though. :D

p.s. I only have one sister [who happens to call you brownie for some reason], and if I show any other opinion then the one I have displayed, I think my head would have been severed long ago. :D

Originally posted by Kashanre:

quote: Dude! Are you married by any chance?? i have two younger Sisters. They are all yours[Hadeeynan il kudilin]

kix kix kix
:D
War ninyahow fikirkaas odayaashi na dalaa looga tagay.
;)
In this day and age you need to find your
mate
, not
belonging
. :cool: Thanx for the offer though.
:D

p.s. I only have one sister [who happens to call you brownie for some reason], and if I show any other opinion then the one I have displayed, I think my head would have been severed long ago.
:DHehehe,such a modest Brotha :D .

May god Bless your sister,she calls me brownie becoz i think she likes Brownies[The pastry].

Xiinow; Kaftan kadhable markad dhahdo,are you talking about the Messiah comment mise the Brown sisters Giveaway Plan??? :D

^^It was HA's comment, Faarax.

Though I wouldn’t mind to witness (I can do the sanctioning as well, if need be) a virtual proposal as grand as yours, haddana Waxaan ka baqay in gabdhaha Kismayo la geeyo dee :D:D !

Kashafa   

A few choice words :

....Togane is a rare breed of believer, an amalgam of many roots and influences.

Calling himself a
Mennonite Muslim
- or, more broadly, a
Somali Muslim Mennonite Sufi
- Togane fords the social and spiritual gaps between the West and his fellow Somali immigrants....

Togane moved to Montreal in 1973, where he is a member of Montreal Mennonite Fellowship

And though he remains in many ways a Muslim at heart, he embraces the teachings of salvation and freedom from legalism that Christ personified...

I don't know whether that article accurately captures Togane's belief system and whether he still holds those views, but since it's on his personal website, I'll say this: Awoowe, you don't play mix-and-match with Islam. Somali Muslim Mennonite Sufi ?? I know the devil's in semantics, but whussup with the embracing of the teachings of salvation ? No offense, but how would it look if I had membership at the local Hindu temple and hit the Friday prayers too ? Somali Hindu Salafi Muslim ?. C'moon, Awoowe.

5 daily prayers does not a Muslim make if you're really prayin along with Kanye in "Jesus Walks"(disclaimer: some us are in it for the beats).

Other than that, Togane is a beast(noun, extremely competent) with words. Check out this string of insults:

each & every Somali clan contributed their fat fair share of clowns & clones & coons & crows & cronies & cowards & collaborators & quislings & lickspittles & cringers & tools & fools & flatterers & timeservers & toadies to dance with the dictator his dance macabre & mollycoddle his **** MOD, the Somali Afwayne Frankenstein.

End game. Pick up yo' face. :D

P.S. Mucho Respekto for givin' up the bottle. 23 years of conquering an addiction. Rageedi :cool:

^^Perhaps you should read, good Kashafa, Ibnu Taymiya’s nullifiers of the nullifiers of Islamic creed (or some thing to that effect). Indict this man’s work, if you will, but don’t pierce his faith.

As far as I know a person remains within the house of Islam as long he publicly pray and does nothing contrary to the pillars of his faith.

Yeniceri   

Originally posted by Rahima:

Criticism is of two: constructive and unconstructive. The former will lead to progress whereas the latter just leaves us in the same state.

From what I've heard and read, Md. Togane seems to fall under the "unconstructive criticism" category. I'm sure Md. Togane wants his clan to wake up and succeed - but the method he's using is hardly suitable for such a noble cause.

Besides, Md. Togane has fully convinced himself (and some nomads here) that "some" Somali clans are living better than others (namely his clan). But last I checked, the whole of Somalia is a dirt poor country of ignorant nomads, drug (qaad) addicts, corrupt "officials" and militia-lords. So exactly how is one clan "better" than any other? :confused:

If you agree with Togane's approach and views, then quite simply you need all of our prayers. Need I remind you, ladies and gents, that we're (incl. Md. Togane) all refugees in foreign countries. There are many ways to help our country and our people: we could invest money, go home and volunteer, educate the masses and or fund-raise from the Diaspora. But insulting whole clans of Somalis isn't going to change a single thing.

My suggestion is for Md. Togane to find a new approach to express his views.

NGONGE   

Heh. It is, after all, poetry. This is not a sect, cult or political movement. This is a poet expressing his views in verse.

I personally think his opinions are pointless and poetic style nonsensical. It does not move me at all. It neither appeals to my reason or tugs at my heartstrings. I’ve read several of his poems and my only (and recurrent) reaction was a quite chuckle (at him).

Having said all of the above, one has to give the man his dues. His words seem to move some, anger some and impress others. Some of his poems might give us a glimpse of what he’s like as a person but would never give the full picture. Still, since he chose to use this provocative style and expected (for only a simpleton wouldn’t) to receive disparaging views, I don’t see why we shouldn’t (if we disagree with him) let him have it.

I would still remind you all that the man is not some sort of a Messiah and his words should not be taken as gospel (as it were). If it appeals to you, praise it, and if it does not, criticise it. A poem that garners no reaction from those reading it is not a poem at all.

Again, my personal opinion is that it’s all nonsense. I don’t see pictures as I read his words, there are no great images and his turn of phrase does not make me, gasp, cringe, smile or wince (not after the initial shock with the crudeness of his words has passed). To me, he is like every other Somali political commentator: A bad history teacher. I’ve recently developed an aversion to those that want to drone on about history whenever politics is discussed.

Nonetheless, I doff my hat to the nonsensical professor for creating such controversy with his words. You never know, it might inspire some to emulate his style and repay him in kind with a poem (wasn’t that the Somali way?).

On the subject of nonsensical poems. This whole episode reminded me of Lewis Carroll’s Through The Looking Glass and the great JABBERWOCKY poem. The poem makes no sense, but the pace, rhythm and feel of it is undistinguishable from other poems. Enjoy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought --

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'

He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

Source

PS

Reason, etiquette or current trends do not restrict poets. The job of a poet is not to be constructive (though he could if he wished to be). A poet’s only job and vocation is to report on things in language and prose that is a cut above the everyday hubbub. To insist that Professor T be constructive with his poetry is akin to appointing him as the Somali poet laureate or court poet. He’s too crude and controversial for such a job.