Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Togane speaks again!

Just a quick observation.

A non-qabilist is some1 who doesnt get offended by qabiil directed/oriented insults. If you take offense at qabiil bashing (specially at your own qabiil), then is it not safe to assume u blv in it just as much as the offenders?

I think Togane is a talented poet - provocative but entertaining. If I had a flare for words like he did… I’d pen back one or two witty words in the traditional Somali style of combating poetry with poetry... ;)

Rahima   

The offence is not personal. That is just my point. What I do or what you do should not be pinned on our respective tribes, just like what morons of our respective tribes do should not be pinned on our tribes also.

The insulting of tribes is part of jaahiliya and it should not be condoned. The fact that it is xaraam should be a good enough reason for it to be shunned.

The way I see it is that if we are to move forward we really need to leave behind the clannish and degrading culture. Taking a lassie-fair approach to it just exacerbates the problem-we are indirectly saying that it is ok and acceptable. We wouldn’t let sexism (check the women's forum for proof ;) ) or racism fly easily, so why tribalism? All are forms of discrimination and all are against our religion.

I’m the type of person who when in my presence you will not get away with words such as ‘eelay’ (legit name I know but it is said by many as yasid), midgaan or qaldaan. You will not get away with f'aqash or moryaan when referring to a tribe. You will not get away lightly with degrading any tribe or people period. If anything the only tribe I never defend is my own for the reason that I don’t want to be viewed as a tribalist fighting a personal war.

Alle-ubaahane,

Advice well noted ;)

Insulting in its entirely is xaraam ;) . Not just against a qabiil. But people insult what they don’t like all the time. What I’m saying is, being offended by insults against your own tribe and taking it seriously is itself a form of qabiil loyalty.

Togane’s pieces are directed at his own qabiil (mostly). Are self-directed insults, a prejudice? Some people see it as self-reflection… opinions vary (clearly from the respondents on this thread too). I see it as humourous cuz I couldn’t care for what qabiil he is bashing since I view the whole concept of qabiil differently.

Secondly, I find it very hard to blv any1 participates in the politics section and doesn’t give a shidh about qabiil. Somali politics = qabiil politics. And this is further confirmed by the ardency and consistency with which one praises and admonishes the opposing qabiil/political entity without giving in an inch of credit.

And Rahima.. if you wrestle in a pigsty, ur bound to pickup dirt, noh? Get out while u can girlfriend.

Rahima   

Togane’s pieces are directed at his own qabiil (mostly). Are self-directed insults, a prejudice?

They’re still wrong. Who gave him the right to insult a whole qabiil, especially the way he does it (it is pretty bad, there are insults and then there are extremely vile insults)? I mean like I said be harsh and be truthful, but be wise about the way you do it especially if you want to make a difference. The warlords of Somalia need a good bashing, but they aren't going to listen. People such as Togane need to appeal to those who support them (financially) and he will not be getting through to them by insulting them. You need to be smart about the way you deal with those who you are trying to impact.

And this notion of him attacking his qabiil mostly, perhaps I’m mistaken here, but he is not attacking his qabiil mostly. He is attacking what is in the Somali tradition a rival clan of his. That last poem spoken of, he is referring to one of the bloodiest clashes of the Somali civil war; he openly states that he cheered on his clan over the other (which seemingly is the one he bashes most).

And this is further confirmed by the ardency and consistency with which one praises and admonishes the opposing qabiil/political entity without giving in an inch of credit.

There isn’t in my opinion a single Somali political entity, which is worthy of praise. All are in it for their interests. They let Somalia bleed and continue to die, so why should they be praised? I will praise any good actions they do or any progress (like I praised the establishment of the government- amazing that they could even do that, like praised the courts- some stability is better than none), but the entity, hell no until my country is safe, productive and corruption free. Might be harsh, but I have high expectations. They ruined my country (the one i want to return to inshallah) and continue to do so; I expect them to clean up their mess. Till then they will receive no praise from me. As for this forum, whilst i realise it is unhealthy, i think that to assume all are qabiil orientated is misdirected. One has to show signs to be labelled as such.

And Rahima.. if you wrestle in a pigsty, ur bound to pickup dirt, noh? Get out while u can girlfriend.

Very true. I gave up and then I was strangled back in :( . I think they will leave me alone now and I can go back to places of cleanliness.