Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Somali man of the year [2005]....

Batuulo_Isaaq.jpg

Amin Ammir arts

The most important political columnist alive in Somalia today is Amin Ammir.

His vivid depiction of the issue that affect every Somali has made him in my opinion the man who has had the most impact in the political arena of 2005.

Mr Ammir I salute you..

Emperor   

Absotuley I agree with that and even go as far as extenting it to be the Somali Man of the dacade. Powerful images mosltly shake our hearts, true account of awesome reality as he draws.

Bring it to our maintream yaa Amin.

Gabbal   

who has had the most impact in the political arena of 2005.

Granted he is adept at his art, but I don't believe he has had any impact on the Somali political arena of 2005. We, including him, are watchers while the game is played in the nation itself. smile.gif

Pi   

Originally posted by Kashanre:

]Granted he is adept at his art, but I don't believe he has had any impact on the Somali political arena of 2005. We, including him, are watchers while the game is played in the nation itself.
smile.gif
[/QB]

Obviously, only those with guns (declared or undeclared) have any tangible influence in the somali political terrain. Barre Hiiraale might be an exception. How's that for "ambiguity" :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Kashanre:

Granted he is adept at his art, but I don't believe he has had any impact on the Somali political arena of 2005. We, including him, are watchers while the game is played in the nation itself.
smile.gif

What do you mean by impact atheer? Does the number of road blocks a warlord owns count as impact? What about the number of speeches? How about the number of photo-ops a certain political figure has participated in?

It's clear that Mr. Ammir uses his talent to raise awareness of the plight of Somalis. The impact he has is directly proportional to how many receive his message and reflect upon it. The pen (in this case the brush) has always been mightier than the sword, atheer. You come across as a (shadow) sword-wielding kinda lad, if I'm not mistaken.

As for the game being played back home, well, even a xaar-walwaal would call his activities a trade. :D

Thankful   

I'd nominate Abdulkadir Yahya Ali, although I can not lie, I was not familiar with him until after his death. Doing some research and learning more about him and how hard he work towards peace and the fact that it cost him his life. Woke me up to those intent on bringing peace to Somalia and are actually inside the country.

It's a sad state of affairs when a cartoonist is nominated by people. I mean someone that hides behind a pen drawing pictures and is doing it while outside of the country is not courages, the only ones that should be considered are those on the front lines.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Grammaticus:

quote:Originally posted by Kashanre:

]Granted he is adept at his art, but I don't believe he has had any impact on the Somali political arena of 2005. We, including him, are watchers while the game is played in the nation itself.
smile.gif

Obviously, only those with guns (declared or undeclared) have any tangible influence in the somali political terrain. Barre Hiiraale might be an exception. How's that for "ambiguity"
:D
[/QB]
:confused: <--How's that for ambiguity Grammaticus?

CASTRO-

Your habitual cynicism begs to be desired, adeer. I am not denying the man has had an impact, given it's only to a select few cyper foruming nomads such as ourselves, but has he had the biggest impact on Somali politics in general? smile.gif I don't belief he has. Simple as that, no need for complicating the situation. As for what I come across; it didnt find a home in the rest of your post which made me think it was a last minute addition. Taasne adee kuu taal.

So far Amin Amir is ahead...

The man left a mark on me this year more so than anyone else. The late Abdulkadir Yahye I never new nor was familiar with his work. No doubt a man of courage who had the respect of many in Mogadishu.

Amir highlights the ********* of the Somali politicla situation. Most of the major players, including President, PM , Minister wit or without guns have only demonstarted that they are defending their side of the argument. We have yet to see a real political heavy weight.. Amir's picturs give a holistic view of the situation.

I guess we are still using the western ways in measuring ones abilities to do good acts, just by looking mere cartoons, and then offering meaningless salutations!

Amin Amir did not fed orphans, nor sheltered homeless somalis, nor preached about the moral rectifications of the people; why did he deserve the respect that many selfless rightious people among us are not given, who surely stood for the good of our people at large?

I respect the man with his all abilities to pinpoint our problems more artistically, but I don't understand why we need to utilize the western benchmarks upto him, and yet define man of the year (surmising good atributions) from the humor oriented and artistic point of view!

Xarago   

It entirely depends on how one goes about in evaluating a charecter for the post Somali man/woman of the year . If you are judging in the sense where many in this thread are doing so then Amiin Amiir wins by miles, but in a normal comtemporary form I doubt whether Amiin will make into to the final nomination. Horta, lets make one thing clear Amiin is not a political columinst, for the simple fact that the man does not write column's about the Somali politics and injects his own neutral thoughts in the process.He is merely a catoonist or more of a satire artist who draws cartoons depicting the real situation of subjects, charecters he is drawing. Therefore his material can be used as reference in future to actually look back into history,though it will generate argument whether he was/is right. Just like in literature his drawings reflect his opinion of his subject and its time. Now the big question is does it have an effect, does it bring about changes and so on? The answer is simply no. It does not at all.

So, I think the prime category to be nomiated as or even be called the Somali man/woman of the year , one should have made an impact(yes Castro impact) to bring about a change in misery lives of the Somali people, now as we know no one has yet done so, at least we should consider then those who have attempted to do so. Though I fear whether that halyeey is yet born in Somalia in recent decades.

My point is I dont mind if Amiin Amiir is nominated for or even wins the best satire cartoonist or even artist for this matter, in which I strongly support and appreciate his materials, but I reserve my doubts as the Somali man/woman of the year. I very much agree with Duke

Amir's picturs give a holistic view of the situation

But up in the North the neighbouring country called Somaliland we had people like C/raxman Tuur and Egal (May Allah grant them peace in the hereafter). Both these men have enormously contributed to the well being and establishment of the Somaliland state and have led their compatriots to forgive, unite and live in harmony, regardless of what the rest of the World may think of them(especially the south of the border :D ). The list goes on with individuals such Edna and her likes. Down in Somalia had I the oppurtunity to name someone I would have nominated Elman who has really made the effort to bring about change to his community and in the process lost his life.