Sign in to follow this  
mojam

2005 Champions League

SoMa_InC   

DATE POSTED 18 DEC 2004.

It seems like many people up in this joint are underestimating the blues!

Only time will tell...Chelsea will be (In bold) true to the next round! period.

Its really absurd how many people tend to make Chelsea as the underdogs but seriously we will progress to next round and bring the cup to the bridge.

I shall be betting on this soon.

P.S....How many of you lot think that Chelsea will win the Cup if we beat the hell out of Barca? BY SOMA_INC

you'll never beat the hell out of BARCA ... keep dreaming while you can, soon enough it is time to wake up!!! BY JUVENTINA

Frank Lampard (over rated) and Claude Makelele were dominated by Flamini and Fabrigas last week, you really think the Chelsea midfield is stronger than Ronnie, Deco, Xavi etc. 5-1 on aggregate is my prediction! They play against better opposotion every week, Chelsea struggled to beat Man Utd (who should have won with a dipleted team) and Liverpool, they got a dra against Arsenal. This is not another 4-0 win against Blackburn or Newcastle mate!

BY DINHO…..

the only class player they have might be Drogba BY VIKING

We won the game without him...does that make all Chelsea Players class?

The only reason why I went for barca coz robben will be missing. He is my fav dutch player man but we'll see. Concerning liverpool if they happen to catch berbatov on a bad day they will go thru if not well then God bless them because they are gonna need it.

BY 187

Cassano Nice one Bruv.

As I said before, your words will hunt you down. I was never wrong, was I?

The treble dream is on.......

Viking   

Soma_Inc,

What would you be saying if Barca had converted one of their many chances? Chelsea played extremely well and suprised evenryone, including themselves. Remember Mourinho's reaction when he won the CL last year? Not a smile...compare it to his reaction last nite, he was very happy because he knows that he has overcome a MAJOR obstacle. All credit to the way the played plus they won despite Barca having 66% possession.

Treble? Chelsea is not the only team with a treble dream. Milan are leading Seria A, still in Italian Cup and have just beaten ManU, twice, to head to the semis.

Barca missed Marquez immensely last nite.

Teams Chelsea should not want to meet are Milan and Lyon...the rest aren't veryt difficult.

Viking   

Originally posted by $187$:

Milan for me, just play for the result like chelsea.

Teams like Barcelona and Arsenal actually want to entertain and give the fans something to be happy about. I believe that these 2 teams are the only sides in Europe who come close to total football of Michels. Wenger even admitted he was inspired by Michels and Rijkaard of course he's dutch.

The only Italian teams i like are inter and Juve. Milan are just too boring even with the likes of kaka and sheva. Roma - may Allah help them, good side but may Allah help them

Sxb, you are being dishonest with yourself here...How dare you say Juve are more entertaining that Milan??? I have never ever heard someone say that before. Juve are the most boring team in Italy and I'd rather watch Sampdoria, Lecce or other lower teams than Juve. Did you watch when they played each other at Della Alpi this year? There was only one team on the ground and taht team was Milan, they outclassed Juve totally and dominated from beginning to end. Look at how boring Juve played against Real and compare to Milan's performance at Old Trafford... do you see the class difference or do you just love Juve even when they disappoint?

Milan are always known for their flare, remember Rijkaard-Gullit-van Basten? Milan play very well and can play and beat any European team at any given time, that's why they are the SECOND BEST team in Europe only after Real Madrid. You don't win 6 European titles on playing for results. Also, look at the way they were played...No doubt that the Juve-Milan final two years ago was one of the most boring finals ever! But they beat Barca 4-0 in the final of 1994 and played them like dummies for the whole 90 minutes. Look at how they played ManU at Old Trafford? Could Arsenal come close to that performance this year? Be honest saxib, that was one of the best displays this year (as Cassano said above).

As for Barca and Arsenal, they do play very attractive football and entertain their fans, I love them and rarely miss their games when they play...but Barca have won one CL cup and Arsenal have NEVER played in a semi-final...so much for "their" entertaining football. So sxb don't go comparing minnows with Milan.

Ajax? Great team! They have won CL 5 times and play very attractive football. Their 1995 team was the best team I've ever seen put together and they played total football for 90 minutes.

nuune   

We smashed leverkusen to hell, Aufwiedersehen Deauchtland, it should have been clean shiiit, dat Dudek let this weirdo Kyrs-woken score a late goal, but what the heck, we killed them by 6 AGG.

NGONGE   

I didn't get the chance to watch the Liverpool game tonight. I hear we won. Great news.

Liverpool will win this damn cup

You heard it here first :D

Viking   

Originally posted by Viking:

As for the CL results, this is how I think it'll go...

Arsenal V Bayern -Bayern through

Man Utd V Milan - AC thru

Juve V Madrid - Juve thru

L'pool V Bayer - L'pool thru

Chelsea V Barca -Barca thru (just like the last time they met)

Porto V Inter -Inter thru

Werder V Lyon - Lyon thru

PSV v Monaco - PSV thru

If Inter go through (which they should with ease) I would have gotten one prediction wrong, the Chelsea game :mad: Not bad eh?

N.O.R.F   

Viking, Milan were always the boring team while Juve were the entertaining team, until recently with a mix of Brazilians/Italians etc have Milan been 'more' entertaining. do you remeber the 90s? who was more entertaining Juve or Milan?

Walk on, walk on,,,,,,,

SoMa_InC   

Viking at least you admit that your predictions were wrong!

Did yall watch the Juve Vs Real game? I watched the extra time and it was so boring. I say bring Juve to the Bridge and we'll eat them.

We can beat any team right now...I say bring them all.........

Liverpool fans dont get over-excited, we all knew that you lot would win that game since when the draw was made....count yourselves lucky coz you lot got Bayern Lev.. who were out of form!!

You have reached somewhere you never imagined the last three seasons....so that should be a great acheivement this season....and dont worry next season you might get da damn carling cup on condition that Gerrald comes to Chelsea.

What happened to the Gunners...they always get gunned down as usual...This season they have under-acheived both in Europe and here. Well done to them.

Cant wait for the draw to be made....The Treble Dream is still on!!!

NGONGE   

Liverpool fans dont get over-excited, we all knew that you lot would win that game since when the draw was made....count yourselves lucky coz you lot got Bayern Lev.. who were out of form!!

Normal service will resume, saaixb. Liverpool will get to the final; they’ll play Juventus (remember the last game?) and pick up their fifth European trophy. We shall regain our place and humble the rest of Europe. This time though, no supporters will hopefully die and no teams will be banned. I’m no clairvoyant but the script is clearly obvious to all. Move over Chelsea, get away Milan, lay low Bayern, the reds are back!

PS

When there are only 8 teams left in it, it's natural to assume that any of them can win it. ;)

N.O.R.F   

We can beat any team right now...I say bring them all.........

^^reminds me of the gunners last season :D

You have reached somewhere you never imagined the last three seasons....so that should be a great acheivement this season....and dont worry next season you might get da damn carling cup on condition that Gerrald comes to Chelsea.

Money does buy success saxib, but i cant wait to see that Maurinho get shafted by Cappelo or Ancelotti. Chelsea were lucky and you know it!

Ngonge says:

they’ll play Juventus (remember the last game?)

Saxib come on now, these guys have only been watching the game since the mid to late nineties, do you expect them to understand what happened back in 85, Michel Platini after only 5 mins :rolleyes: .

I’m no clairvoyant but the script is clearly obvious to all

When Juve got through thats exactly what i thought, that would be a final to savour, i'm i right in saying that you predicted Greece to win the Euro 2004 last summer? If so, predict away my brother :D

Viking   

Originally posted by Dinho:

Viking, Milan were always the boring team while Juve were the entertaining team, until recently with a mix of Brazilians/Italians etc have Milan been 'more' entertaining. do you remeber the 90s? who was more entertaining Juve or Milan?

Let's see what Milan have achieved the past two decades in Europe and the kind of players that have played for them and compare to Juve...

MILAN

1989--> Milan 4 - Steua Bucharest 0---> Best in Europe!

1990--> Milan 1 - Benfica 0----> Best in Europe AGAIN and the only team to win back to back and last team to do so so far in the CL! (Liverpool did it last in the European Cup in 77&78)

1993--> Marseille 1 - Milan 0----> Beaten by the best team in the final, a team feat. Boli, Pele et al.

1994--> Milan 4 - Barca 0---> Best in Europe! Do you remember the beautiful goals scored by Savicevic and Desailly? There hasn't been a better final than that yet! Do you recall the Barca team they beat? Stoichkov, Romario, Koeman etc.

1995--> Ajax 1 - Milan 0---> Beaten by the best team I've ever seen where Kluivert scored the only goal of the game! Four of their best players joined Milan a year or so later (Kluivert, Davids, Reizeger and Bogarde)

2002--> Milan beat Juve in penalties in the most boring final ever!

Let's see what Juve have acheived in Europe in the same period (1989 to today)...

JUVENTUS

1996--> Juve 1 - Ajax 1 -->Juve on penalties in a slow final.

1997--> Borussia Dirtmund 3 - Juve 1---> Outclassed by the Dortmund team led by Mathias Sammer!

1998--> Real Madrid 1 - Juve 0 --> Real beats Juve in the second most boring final I've ever seen! Only a scrappy goal by Mijatovic set the two team apart.

2002--> As above, they were defeated on penalties by Milan in the boring final at Old Trafford.

Do these players strike you as players who play "boring" football? van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, Weah, Boban, Savicevic and Roberto Baggio just to name a few.

Besides Zidane and Del Piero, I don't recall any other "technical" (entertaining) players that can be compared to those who have played for Milan. We all know that Del Piero though talented, is a player who has been VERY MUCH overated throughout the years.

As for their current Juve team, take away Nedved and Ibrahimovic and you are left with no "technical" player who can entertain the spectators.

I'll name just two very entertaining games Milan have been involved in the past year or so in the CL...can you remember ONE game involving Juve that has been entertaining?

Milan- Deportivo Last year in the quarters of CL. They won 4-1 at San Siro and were beaten 4-0 in Riazor, lol. Very entertaining two legs where we saw 9 goals! and total football displayed by both teams, each one showing its best football at home.

Milan - Manchester The first leg at Old Trafford; Milan displayed how football should be played, both defensively and offensively with the midfield maestros enjoying themselves.

N.O.R.F   

I wasnt really refering to CL final but to general good football. From about 93-2000 milan were a total bore to watch, i dont care if they players like weah, boban, savicevic,papin etc (great players no doubt) but they were winning titles with the most boring of styles.

Roberto Baggio was more of a Juve player, i know u wish he was Milan throu and through but come on saxib, dont claim such a great player. Zidane, Davids, Zambrotta, Torriceli, Pessotto, Vialia, Raveneli, Del Piero (very unlucky with injuries) are all great Juve players who regularly beat Milan throughout the 90s even though Milan were usually wining the Scudetto.

It would be interesting to see the Milan vs Juve games throughout the 90s to see just who was the better team in that decade.

I hope Milan get Juve in the semis, Juve shall be looking for reveng. I must admit i have been dissapointed with Juve for the past 2 years. I hope coppello get rid of some and get some quality there.

Viking   

Dinho,

The only time Milan won a Scudetto playing boring football was in 98 i think when Zacheroni was the head coach and he brought the likes of Bierhoff and Helveg from his former team Udinese. He ruined Milan's styule of play and turned it into an "Everton", a team with soldiers instead of football players. I was not at all pleased with that Scudetto to tell you the truth because they ground their way through.

Milan also struggled a lot from 1996/97 because they lost the greatest maestro football has ever seen, the one and only, Franco Baresi. You just don't replace players like that easily. Real Madrid are still unable to replace Sanchis and now even Hierro who have played for the club for a very long time. They have had problems since Sanchis quit the team and Hierro became shaky.

Milan finally got their defence in order when they bought Nesta from Lazio, Cafu and Stam followed him to Milan too. Now they have without doubt the best defence in Europe and also the most experienced.

Look at the Milan of today and show me a more talented and even well-balanced team in European football. Their squad is better that ALL the teams in Europe.

Which team has the likes----> of Stam, Rui Costa, Dhorasoo (voted best player in France last year), Serginho, Dario Simic, Tomasson, etc. on the bench? Keep in mind that the first choice forwards Sheva and Inzaghi are currently out. The latter has barely played this season. Do you know of a team in Europe that has a better squad and especially in depth?

Plus, if you look at their team, the only player who is a "fighter" and not very creative is Gatusso. All the others are very attack-minded midfielders...Kaka, Seedorf, Pirlo and Rui Costa. Juve in the late 90's played with Zidane and three other defensive midfielders (usually Davids, Conte, Tacchinardi and Pesotto/Birindelli were brought in). Today the only creative midfielder in Juve is Nedved. With him out, Camoranesi is supposed to be the creative one with the help of their forward Zlatan.

You are the only person who I have heard say the opposite of what usually is the reality; any Serie A fan will tell you that Juve are boring and Milan represent flare. I wonder what Cassano/Totti our resident Serie A expert thinks of this...

Capello is the one who has brought some quality to their side. He brought Canavaro, Emerson, Zebina and Zlatan and put on the bench the usual boring players that Lippi has stuck with for ages; Montero, Pesotto, Birindelli, Tachinardi and the inneficeint Del Piero. But the absence of Nedved has meant that they can not play attractive football and have to lock the game and hope for a break.

PS: They alread met this year at Della Alpi and Juve were outclassed in the whole 90 minutes. Despite a spectacular game by Milan, it ended 0-0. Can't wait to see the return leg!