Sign in to follow this  
mojam

2005 Champions League

N.O.R.F   

Viking:

You are the only person who I have heard say the opposite of what usually is the reality; any Serie A fan will tell you that Juve are boring and Milan represent flare. I wonder what Cassano/Totti our resident Serie A expert thinks of this...

Dinho:

From about 93-2000 milan were a total bore to watch

I was talking about the 90s saxib, not now! Infact Milan are 'the' team this year and i never said to the contrary. I was mearly refering to the dull sunday afternoons i spent watching Milan during the 90s as opposed to watching Juve in the same period, hence why it would be interesting to see some stats regarding head to heads in the 90s.

A very talented squad even though i think Rui Costa has always been over-rated :rolleyes: . the rest of the squad is pure class.

Lets hope for Juve - Milan Semi!

After the dissapointing display from Barca (i flet that the best team lost) the team with a greater passion won on the night deservedly, Wednesday was a great pick up :D:D

The prospect of seeing a very poor Arsenal team (even by there standards in europe, which are low), and a inconsistent "bigg names" Real qaulifying was too much fr this football addict to take.

Juve will become even better after that moral boosting victory against Roma and Real to keep the season alive.

Lyon still nobody mentions or gives them a chance,the have no pressure and like Inter (who even by there inconsistent standards) who should beat Porto Next wk at the San Siro

Ifor one am not sold on the hype surrounding Chelsea, I think if the draw PSV or Bayern the will be lucky, any of the remaining teams are capableof beating each other.

My Fav as i stated earlier remain Milan(begrudgingly) and Juve, but the beautifull game :D and means that anyone can win so let the Qt's role on

Viking   

Originally posted by Dinho:

Dinho: From about 93-2000 milan were a total bore to watch

So Milan were playing a boring game when they beat Barca 4-0 in the 1994 final? I am yet to see a more entertaining CL final (the Real-Leverjusen was up there with teh best when Zidan scored with a killer volley). And do you remember how they got to the final the following year when they lost to Ajax?

I would say the problem started in the late 90's, in 1996 to be precise when Baresi started to faulter and the whole team didn't have a proper structure. I would agree wholeheartedly if you said 1996-2000, but saying the 90's is a misconception. They had their best team in the early 90's with the Dutch trio Rijkaard-Gullit-van Basten with Maldini, Tassoti, Costacurta and Baresi in the back.

Cassano,

Barca was the better team in the tie, but Chelsea were damn effective! Barca lost despite having 66% possession and spectacular saves from Cech made it even more difficult. I respect Chelsea because they did something no one believed they could do, play attacking football and overturn the deficit (all in the 33% of the time they had the ball, lol).

BOB   
Originally posted by BOB:

1- Juve.

2- Inter.

3- Ac Milan.

4- Chelsea.

5- Bayern Munich (this hurts but I am only being honest as i don't see a defense that can shut out Bayern the whole 90 minutes)$187 Sorry Partner :( .

6- Lyon (it was easy to pick them up especially after what happened in Germany)

7- Liverpool ( I am not fully convinced simply because of Dudek)

8- Monaco (they can score 2 goals and they will).

Peace, Love & Unity. [/quote

GOD..I must be GOOD.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by SoMa_InC:

Liverpool fans dont get over-excited, we all knew that you lot would win that game since when the draw was made....count yourselves lucky coz you lot got Bayern Lev.. who were out of form!!.... you might get da damn carling cup on condition that Gerrald comes to Chelsea.

How few extra 'Roubles' can play with the mind. Sxb you can raise your voice to Liverpool when you win 18 League titles and 4 European Championships. Untill then (which will never happen) pray the Russian doesnt get broke or tired of wasting money then the whole Chelsea Club is sold for £1 just like Ken bates did when he was buying it...

36_2_15.gif

raula   

wow I have not encountered quite a group of freeloaders, hyper-mentals, football-maniacs, super-suaves ;) active-hippies :D contribute so much.

Let the addiction continue, sports- connoisseurs

sorry I was looking for some BEOBLE-and they all seemed to be here. Neva mind my womanly rantings.

BOB   

Viking,

You are right Sxb,the old lady of Italian Calcio is BORING to watch compared to AC & Inter and the refs are always too lenient on them particularly against the big guns when they are up against it.

I remember back in 97 when the refs handed them the title in the match Italians call "Derby Di Italia" between Juve and Inter at Delle Alpi where the referee denied Ronaldo and Inter a blatant penalty and awarded Inzaghi and Juve in the same move on the other end and Del Piero scored it or be it at the second time after Pagliuca first saved it and if my memory serves me well I believe Juve won the title that year by only two points.

Just ask yourself this question, where the likes of Real Madrid, Man Utd and Juventus stand in title counts if there were no refs assisting them come crunch time?

PS. by the way Real Madrid lost to Getafe 2-1 tonight so Barca are now 11 points to the GOOD.. Hurray.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Viking   

Originally posted by Dinho:

A very talented squad even though i think Rui Costa has always been over-rated :rolleyes: . the rest of the squad is pure class.

Dinho,

You evidently haven't seen him at his best when he played for Fiorentina (for about 13 years?). He has aged and isn't the same player as before and should have moved to a bigger club long ago. Rui Costa probably set up over 80% of Batistuta's goals and is a 100 times a better player than his countryman Figo. Cruyff brought Figo to Barca where he got much more exposure but Costa was at Viola during his best years and didn't have that much exposure.

BOB,

AC Milan has been the most entertaining team in Italy and the secnd most successful side in Europe. They had a bad four years or so after Baresi hang his boots, but they have recovered since they strengthenned their defence.

N.O.R.F   

Viking:

No not 96-2000, 93-2000 when the dutch trio left it was a boring game to watch saxib, and yes Rui Costa is overated along with Lius Figo.

Anyhow, i think we are in for another good game with Inter vs Porto!

Viking   

Dinho,

So when George Weah was voted the...

- African Player of the Year 1994 & 1995

- European Football Player Of The Year 1995

- Football Player of the Year - FIFA 1995

...he was playing for a team that played boring football? How then did he get noticed by the whole world? He must have been doing some really fantastic things to win all those awards during a period you claim Milan was playing "boring" football. Do you think forwards like Vialli and Ravanelli played better (or more entertaining) football than Weah?

The Dutch trio left around 1993 but Milan went on to win Champions League the following year (1994) 4-0 against a very strong Barca, and went to play the final of 1995 which they lost 1-0. How do you explain that? Did they get there by winning through penalties? I think not.

N.O.R.F   

I was refering to Seria A

Weah was a great player, but the team he played for/with were very boring hence why Weah was noticed and was the 'only' attraction of watching Milan in those days. A good player can play well in a boring team thats designed to play on the counter. If i kick a ball around with a few englisg guys in the park i too would also be the 'best' player, if you get what i mean.

brb

N.O.R.F   

Do you think forwards like Vialli and Ravanelli played better (or more entertaining) football than Weah?

No

But the Juve team back then played a better and more entertaining style of football than Milan did.

True ^^^^

Viking sxb milan suffered are very boring bout of football after the great dutch trio left and baresi retired.

Milan signed efficient but boring players like Fredrico Gunti De Achentes and Jose Mari to mention afew.

Juve on the other hand had the emerging and highly impressive and entertaining Alessandro Del Peiro, and when Baggio left to join you guys, Juve bought Jugovich, Zizou and Davids and man they played beautifull football.

Anyway am gonna route for Inter today the deserve something for there come-back spirit if nothing else this year lol

Viking   

Dinho,

Let me list Milan's team which faced Ajax in the 1995 CL finals and tell me which were "boring" players (almost teh same team that beat Barca 4-0 a year before that). I'll do the same with Juventus team that played in the 1996 finals and you see the difference in the squad...

MILAN

-Rossi

-Tassotti (Ancelotti's deputy today)

-Panucci (Later joined Real, Chelsea and now Roma)

-Albertini (now plays for Barca)

-Costacurta

-Galli

-Maldini

-Donadoni (Livorno coach - great player, featured even as late as 1994 WC for the Azzuri)

-Desailly (was going downhill when he joined Chelsea and had his best years at Milan as a midfielder)

-Boban (midfield maestro-the Croatian playmaker)

-Savicevic (another great and technical player)

-Massaro (great goal scorer)

Coach: Capello

Do you still think Weah joined a team with boring players?

Now look at Juve's squad...

JUVENTUS

-Peruzzi

-Ferrara

-Torricelli

-Vierchowod

-Pessotto

-Conte

-Jugovic

-Paulo Sousa

-Di Livio

-Deschamps

-Del Piero

-Vialli

-Ravanelli

Coach: Lippi

They were a good unit but the only ones who stood out technically were Paolo Sousa (the only creative midfielder in the team - Jugovic, Conte and Deschamps were defensive midfielders) and Del Piero. Also look at the philosphy of the coaches to understand the game the teams played.

Shujui,

We were talking about the team prior to 1996; Jose Mari joined Milan in 1999. They were crap during that period and coached by the boring Zacherroni who ruined Milan's game. De Ascentis also joined the Milan team in the 1999/2000 season from Bari.

Also, Zidane joined Juve in 1996 and Dugarry signed for Milan the same year, both from Bordeaux. To see how dumb Milan were..listen to this...Milan were once beaten by Bordeaux 4-0 where Dugarry and Zidane played a major role. Milan bought the goalscorer Dugarry while Juve bought the playmaker, Zidane :D The rest is history!

The only top quality player they signed in towards end of the 90's and who managed to be established in the Milan team is Shevchenko. Their squad around 1996 featured the likes of Edgar Davids, Kluivert and many other good players but none of them settled at the club.