Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Five civilians die in latest Mogadishu violence

Castro   

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - Five civilians were killed in the latest guerrilla-style strikes on Ethiopian military and Somali government positions in Mogadishu, witnesses said on Friday.

Resident Adey Malim Nur confirmed both his sons were killed in mortar attacks late on Thursday. Three others were previously known to have died from the attack near the presidential palace.

"They died instantly," Nur told Reuters.

"My older son was standing outside the house when a mortar hit him in the stomach, my other son was inside the house. My wife and daughter were also wounded."

The Somali government said those behind the attack were probably militants from an Islamist movement ousted from Mogadishu after a six-month rule of most of south Somalia.

Government forces backed by Ethiopia's military routed the Islamists in a two-week campaign in December.

"Investigations are under way," Information Minister Al Ahmed Jama told Reuters. "It's possible a few of the Islamist remnant trouble-makers were behind the attacks."

In Thursday's assault, mortar bombs and rockets struck parts of the sea port, near the Villa Somalia palace where President Abdullahi Yusuf stays, and hit homes nearby.

It was the latest in a string of assassinations and strikes -- including on Ethiopian military convoys and bases, and a mortar attack on Villa Somalia -- since the war at the New Year.

Most casualties have been civilians.

U.N. HELP

The violence has underlined the challenges facing Yusuf's government in its efforts to establish central rule in Somalia for the first time since 1991 when the ouster of a dictator turned the Horn of Africa nation into a byword for anarchy.

The African Union (AU) is struggling to build a peacekeeping force for Somalia to fill a security vacuum after Ethiopian troops leave. But many African nations are nervous about sending soldiers to one of the world's most dangerous countries.

Since their defeat, the Islamists have scattered to southern Somalia but vowed a long guerrilla war.

In Nairobi, the United Nations said the international community must assist the Somali government to restore order.

"This is the right time to help the people in Somalia. The people, especially youth, are tired of war," Eric Laroche, U.N. humanitarian coordinator for Somalia, told reporters.

Laroche said the U.N. was planning to help Somalia restore local administration by training police, rebuilding health centres, re-establishing education programmes and resettling approximately 400,000 internally displaced people.

He added that more than 3,000 metric tones of relief food meant for people in the Gedo region of Somalia were stuck in neighbouring Kenya, which closed its border due to the war.

(Additional reporting by Hassan Yare in Baidoa, Wangui Kanina in Nairobi)

Reuters

Lake   

LOL @ SOL displaying the perfect media picture out in the west today....

We have Castro at one side...and We have Duke on the other..

Duke broadcasts the news like..progress is being made and everything is going smoothly..While Castro gives us the other side of the news. hahaha

Jaylaani   

Tone,

Castro reports the truth. The other dude is drinking Muslim blood everyday by hiding the facts on the ground just because he has tribal affiliation with the Yey dude. That is very sad.

Peacenow   

The sitiation is so dire and hopeless, most people like myself, most times are just wishing for anything better than the reality that is there. GD's posts I see it, are a form of escapism.

Jaylaani   

Peace,

People supported siyad baree blindly just because of tribal affiliation and you know the results of that phenomena. Now people are doing the same thing for adeero A /Y.. This is just another history repeating it self. Every conference and every party in America to support the TFG are held by the same group of people. How is that gonna help their situation? I don’t know.

ILAAHYOW hana cadaabin.

Peacenow   

Aborrent the TFG are. There is no present alternative in the horizon. We either support or that is it, this is the last chance.

The Africans are sick of this, the Arabs dont want anymore problems and the Europeans, only Italy ducks its head, and only because it used to be a colony and it is not doubt embrassed with how one of it's 'own' has turned out. If this fails, that is it, no one is going to raise a mumour against a Ethiopian annextion of Somalia.

Now people know what I think of Ethiopians and of the TFG, but what else is there to do.

capt.nai10102021252.somalia_mortar_attac

Relatives crowd around Abdikarim Abdullah after he was wounded by shrapnel during an overnight mortar attack in the Somali capital , Mogadishu, Friday, Feb. 2, 2007. At least seven people were killed and 20 injured after multiple mortar attacks in Somalia's capital in the worst night of violence since the government took control, a nurse and residents said Friday. (AP Photo/Mohamed Sheikh Nor)

Castro   

Originally posted by peacenow:

Aborrent the TFG are. There is no present alternative in the horizon. We either support or that is it, this is the last chance.

Here's the likely outcome as suggested by PINR.

An appraisal of the political and military facts on the ground, and of the policies forged in diplomatic chambers, yields the conclusion that the domestic and external actors in Somalia's conflicts do not have sufficient will to stabilize the country as an effective nation-state. Following the failure of the A.U. summit to cap a vigorous diplomatic push, donor powers and international organizations are unlikely to keep up their momentum, leaving regional states to pursue their own interests and African states from other regions to stay on the sidelines. As external pressure lets up, Somali factions -- lacking a national political formula under which to unite -- will find relative safety in retrenchment. Expect the reversion of Somalia to fragmentation to continue and intensify.

Who needs a nation state anyway? Of what benefit is this 'Somaliweyn' we all seek? I'd like to see someone argue this in the context of the mess we're in.

Originally posted by Jaylaani:

Peace,

People supported siyad baree blindly just because of tribal affiliation and you know the results of that phenomena. Now people are doing the same thing for adeero A /Y.. This is just another history repeating it self. Every conference and every party in America to support the TFG are held by the same group of people. How is that gonna help their situation? I don’t know.

ILAAHYOW hana cadaabin.

Abdullahi yusuf is but one man. You guys give him so much credit that he must have a high credit score. This government is more the Abdullahi Yusuf and PM Geedi and FM Buuba and Speaker of the Parliament Adan Madoowe. As you can see these men compromise different sections of Somalia. Whether it be Puntland Yusuf, Xamar Geedi, Somaliland Buuba, or Bay/Bakool Madoobe.

I can't say the same about Somaliland or the ICU which had the Security Minister, The Head of the ICU, Head of its military wing all from the Same sub sub clan.

Would it be fair to accuse sister Rahima of supporting the ICU because of her 'adeers' Cadoow, Cagoweyne, Tooji, Abshir Bacadle? No.

^ What facts?

In the North West region. Save the President (Who is getting paid mashallah) everyone which is in the 80-90% range of one clan. So why are you claiming Col yey is something that he is not? There are but 12 parliamentaries from 'his subclan' out of 275. Do you see the percentage their?

Jaylaani   
Originally posted by Taako Man:

I can't say the same about Somaliland or the ICU which had the Security Minister, The Head of the ICU, Head of its military wing all from the Same sub sub clan.

[/QB][/quote

You made this claim...

BTW, 12 members are too large. His SUB clan made less than 2 percent of all Somali population.

RedSea   

Taako Man,

Qabiil affliation aside which seems to be the only principle which you function.Can you give any reasons why one should support the TFG?

No qabiil,simply tell us the quality of its members and what they have done thus far.

Besides if Rahima was all about Qabiil,she would have supported Geedi who hold a 'high'post in the 'government'Bacadle is just 'simple'shiekh.

I would have supported Buuba,rather than Riyale who doesn't belong in my 'qabiil'.You see this is nac nac,we need principles.The ICU standed for something,what does the TFG stand for?