Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

New somali news paper In the Uk. Pics

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

great news but two problems: Its free and the headline should be "The Somali Community Says" rather then the Somali Community say. Wish them luck...

Are you in America, saaxib? There really is no clear rule on collective nouns. Knowing the Somali Community, I would stick with the plural and use 'say' instead of 'says'. But Americans are different.

This is very easy. Somali Community which is a singular subject as it is a collective noun should have a singular verb that follows it, in this case 'says' but that doesn't mean that 'say' is wrong here!

However if you want to highlight individual efforts within the collective noun, you can then use a plural verb for a singular subject matter i.e. collective noun.

So in this case 'Somali community say' is a collective noun i.e. a singular subject with a plural verb in order to highlight individual efforts within the singular subject collective noun 'Somali Community'.

I feel in my element, :D anyone daring to challenge me?

Who will step up?

^ :D:D

Your are correct but to every rule their are exceptions and with this one it is no different!

Let me quote myself brilliant again:

However if you want to
highlight individual efforts
within the collective noun, you can then use a
plural verb
for a
singular subject matter
i.e. collective noun.

So in this case 'Somali community
say
' is a
collective noun
i.e. a singular subject with a
plural verb
in order to highlight
individual efforts
within the singular subject collective noun
'Somali Community'

Any objections you have to the above you might raise them now with your counter-arguments.

They told you singular subject = use singular verb, plural subject = use plural verb and then left you to it.

Where as this, is grand. Only a few enlightened ones know that there's this exception to the rule, the common folks stick to what they have been told at elementary school.

Anyone else wanting to step up to bring something counter to the fold? Please do not hesitate, in fact I urge you to come out and have a go. :D:D

^That's correct :Dbut who says that 'Somali Community say', is wrong I want to know? Who dares step up please. You're in for a schooling.

I'm in my element today, please make it quick.

Says is correct because "the Somali Community" is in the third person i.e Naxar says rather or I say.

Ngonge, I think English Grammar is American Grammar but it would be interesting if there were some differences. Always had an issue with North American pronunciation of English.