Sign in to follow this  
Hales

Somaliland Army help

Hales   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Somaliland

The Army numbers around 60,000 with army vehicles and tanks, and in 2004 all the warlords combined numbered around a couple of thousands. If they had a sense of Somalinimo they would have helped the TFG established a government during those times instead of waging war against Puntland and sucking up to Ethiopia. The Somalilanders would probably then stand a chance of having a seccession; but you havent made any progress towards it and have just isolated and made a future "Somalia state" more hostile towards the goal.

If all the regions in Somalia were united we would have long gotten out of this civil war thats my take on this.

A_Khadar   

I don't think this is accurate... 60,000, are you kidding me? I doubted if pre-war, the entire nation's army was that much more than this number..

Originally posted by Hales:

The Army numbers around 60,000 with army vehicles and tanks, and in 2004 all the warlords combined numbered around a couple of thousands. If they had a sense of Somalinimo they would have helped the TFG established a government during those times instead of waging war against Puntland and sucking up to Ethiopia. The Somalilanders would probably then stand a chance of having a seccession; but you havent made any progress towards it and have just isolated and made a future "Somalia state" more hostile towards the goal.

If all the regions in Somalia were united we would have long gotten out of this civil war thats my take on this.

The tfg first has to accept somaliland as a sovereign nation, then we are willing to help them to establish a Goverment in koonfuria with our Military might and even assist them financially

Hales   

@KHADAR

I read a similar number in a website in the past, considering That figure hasnt been taken down for some time i thought itd be accurate to cite it from Wikipedia. It doesnt have a citation, but let a Somalilander explain it anyways; im sure they put it up there in the first place

Regardless of whether that number is accurate or not their millitary and security force easily have been powerful enough to overthrow the warlords in 2004.

Im not talking about the Islamists for now just the warlords.

ANWAR   

i think a somalilander wrote this pis of CRAP

Hales   

@XAJi

Has the Somaliland leader tried to contact and negotiate with the TFG about the future of Somalia for the sake of civillians, no, Somaliland chose to remain ignorant about Somalia and isolate itself to the point where it bribed Kenyans for recognition.

The point is about unity.

Hales   

* Centurion main battle tanks, 20

* M47 Patton main battle tanks, 25

* T-54/T-55 main battle tanks, 15

* T-34 medium tanks, 17

* M41 Walker Bulldog light tanks, 11

* Panhard AML 90 armoured cars, 7

* BRDM-2 reconnaissance vehicles, 2

* BTR-50 tracked armored personnel carriers ,16

* BTR-40, BTR-60 and BTR-152 wheeled armored personnel carriers, 12

* Fiat 6614/6616 armored personnel carriers, 14

* BMR-600 armored personnel carriers, 4

* BM-21 mobile rocket launchers, 75

* BGM-71 TOW anti-tank guided missiles, 32

* M198 towed howitzers, 21

* T-72 main battle tanks, 20

I cant see why they would make it up, if anyone could refute it, refute these figures with facts and sources; because if it was inaccurate it would have been taken down by the netizens.

Cowke   

All Of somalia had 60,000 soldiers in 1990.

“Of total armed forces of 64,500 in June 1990, the army numbered 60,000, the navy 2,000 and the air force 2,500. In addition, there were 29,500 members of paramilitary forces, including 20,000 members of the People’s Militia

How is it possible 1 clan from all somalia can have 60,000 soldiers? Illogical.

Second point to refute that baseless article is. According to the home office report done by the UK GOVERNMENT they say somaliland only has 7000 soldiers MAXIMUM at PEAK TIME because the report was done in 2007 and it estimates somaliland has 7000 soldiers in the year 2004 this was the time when they was building up security forces to defend sool and sanaag from puntland and the maximum they had in all their bases was 7000 but when their not building up its as low as 3000.

Anyways u can verify the home office report here, it's suprising.

Home Office

To find the relevant section in the report refer to "section 8.16 which is on page 28 of the report and you will see where my argument is coming from!!!

NGONGE   

^^ Does SL not have 60,000 able bodied people who might be ready to fight when called upon? And these are only inta qaatka cunta. Wixi nadeefta tirada ku ma jiraan, Garowe script.

Originally posted by Gheelle.T:

Been badanaa.. 23 fighter jets and 90 tanks kuyeh.
:D

It's true warya. :D

Of the fighter jets:

10 are awaiting spare parts

8 are out of service (including the one in the capital square)

2 are beyond repair

3 are fully operational but lack pilots (juse like all the others).

The number of tanks is correct. These are old Russian tanks that cost about $100,000 each. :D

Hales   

loooool

I think even Puntland has a bigger army, waxaa fiican anii TFG ka iyo Puntland anii iskuru tagaan.

laakin how could their army be smaller than Alshabaabs with a budget of 6.8Million annually.

Cowke   

Hales, well accoring to the International Crisis Group (ICG) report on puntland this year, we have 5000 soldiers and this is weak security administration. When Abdullahi yusuf was there it 10,000 soldiers!!! Where-as riyale is strong on security and he can muster only 7000, if they get someone who is weak on security they will muster 3000.

Either way our weakest point is 5000 soldiers and thats verifiable by ANTI PUNTLAND REPORT done this year by the international crisis group (ICG) !!!

loooool

I think even Puntland has a bigger army, waxaa fiican anii TFG ka iyo Puntland anii iskuru tagaan.

laakin how could their army be smaller than Alshabaabs with a budget of 6.8Million annually.

daawo

Cowke   

Xaji, 5 tanks aint nothing. 7000 soldiers that all they have big deal. abdullahi yusuf had 10,000 soldiers meaning more tanks