Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Xisbiga

Greatest SOMALI Politician of 20th Century?

Salaan...

Poll: Greatest SOMALI Politician of 20th Century?

Question 1 of 1

Choose 1

Maxamed Haji Ibraahim Cigaal

Maxamed Siyaad Barre

Maxamed Farah Aideed

Are you fascinated by them all having with the first name "Max'ed?"

None of them were "great" politicians, let alone being the greatest. A "great" politician, to me, is a one being so popular that is equally loved by his people.

None of them you listed above come close to that.

If you want "great" Soomaali siyaasi men that can be at least contemplated to be great, mention the likes of Max'ed C/lle Xasan {yes, he lived in the 20th century}, founders of SYL, Aadan Cadde, C/rashiid Cali Sharmaarke, C/llaahi Ciise, C/qaadir Soobe, even Ismaaciil Jimcaale, Muuse Rabiile or even Maxamed Raajis, but surely not those you listed above.

Being famous should not be equated being great.

Macsalaama.

If you want "great" Soomaali siyaasi men that can be at least contemplated to be great, mention the likes of Max'ed C/lle Xasan {yes, he lived in the 20th century}, founders of SYL, Aadan Cadde, C/rashiid Cali Sharmaarke, C/llaahi Ciise, C/qaadir Soobe, even Ismaaciil Jimcaale, Muuse Rabiile or even Maxamed Raajis, but surely not those you listed above.

I totally agree with that list, those above stood for the Somali people and they should be honoured. I particularly like C/llahi Cise Mohamoud who is a less known today but played a vital role in the independence of the nation. He is a man want to read more about. so any info ppl

founders of SYL, Aadan Cadde, C/rashiid Cali Sharmaarke, C/llaahi Ciise, C/qaadir Soobe, even Ismaaciil Jimcaale, Muuse Rabiile or even Maxamed Raajis, but surely not those you listed above.

Well, my friend, Somaliland had its own freedom fighters... if you are saying they are of lesser status then your [southern] politicians... please come forward.

^^^one more reason why Somaliland wants to go on its own^^^

I never liked Mohamed Ibrahim Egal, but I soon realized his worth upon his death. No somali politician ever achieved an ioata of what he did. You can say luck was on his side, you can say fate played a great role. Yet I haven't seen any one whose political career spanned close to 50 years.

Lets just list some of the things, not even all, this man did.

- Was the Prime Minister of Somaliland when Somaliland became Independent, at the age of 33 or 31 I forget which one.

- He could have blocked the tide of Somaliweyn and became a dictator, and not allowed the union. He could have at least secured a lucrative post at best if the union could not have been postponed, and had major conditions, but he did not. He went from a Prime Minister, to the Minister of Defence of a non-existent army.

- He soon realized how sleazy Somali Politics was, just like the man we all love to qoute Timacade resigned from parlaiment. He then, formed his own party, then crossed over to the SYL, shook it up a bit, and managed to become the Prime Minister of Somalia.

- Again as fortune would have it, he would not keep that post long, and was arrested for some 12 years, with stints of freedom in between.

- He then became the President of Somaliland and although many of us have been critical that he moved slowly, change was not coming, and a whole ocean of other crititism, he has transformed Somaliland from a nation of clans to a constitutional republic. Not an easy task when you look around our neighbourhood in East Africa.

- At his burrial, if there ever was a doubt he was not only great but the greatest, people from all over where Somalis live came to his funeral. The only person to have had said negative things about him, was Abdirizaq Xaaji Xuseen. Even Jama Ghalib who was his greatest foe realized what this man meant to Somaliland and all Somalis and decided to keep his mouth shut.

To keep coming back to the top, set back after set back, is quite extra ordinary.

P.S. When some nomads are so close to the subject being discussed they can get baised. Of all the years I have been browsing SomaliaOnline I always saw M-M-A talking about how great the early sixties was and the SYL and so on. Yet with the same breath he would keep Timacade as a great somali man. Yet Timacade resigned from Parlaiment because he saw it for what it was, and guess who was the Speaker at the time????? smile.gif

sahal   

For me, the greatest politician ever was: Abdirsishid Ali Sharmaarke (ALLA HA U NAXARIISTEE).

MMA don't forget the most POPULAR somali politicians ever; Mudane Cabdirisaaq Xaaji Xuseen and General Maxamed Abshir Muuse!

People from every tribe respect and adore them for their sincere love for their people. For an example:

- Cabdirisaaq Xaaji Xuseen, the former Prime Minister had advocated not to squander money for an Pan-Somalism for being a large risk, but to use money for the development of the young state and the Somali people. Also the only politician to speak up about the honest allocation of gorvernment posts to the northerners.

- Or General Maxamed Abshir Muuse who refused to participate to fraud the presidential elections for his kinsman president Cabdirashiid Cali Shermarke. General Maxamed Siyaad Barre however was enthusiastic and couldn't wait to begin. Not to mention that general Maxamed Abshir Muuse is the FATHER of the oldest force of Somalia; the police.

Read the book of Jaamac Maxamed Qaalib, you'll only read praises and good anecdotes about these men. They were truly Modern Nomads!

and ABU_AMMAR here I have a biography of Cabdullaahi Ciise Maxamuud, enjoy saaxib!

Abdullahi Issa Mohamud:

Hon. Abdullahi was born in 1922 at Afgoi. The second world war broke out while he was still a student. After he turmoiled of the war years, he joined the SYL from its onset. He became one of the leaders of the party and was eventually appointed Secretary-General.

He went to Paris and New York as an SYL delegate to proclaim the right of the Somali people to independence. After election as an SYL deputy in the political elections of 1956. Hon. Abdullahi was called in the same year to form Somalia's first Government, thus becoming the first Prime Minister.

Re-elected in 1959, he was re-confirmed as Premier, and held for some time also the portfolios of Foreign Affairs, Interior and Grace and justice. In the Government formed after Somalia's Independence in July 1960, he was appointed Foreign Minister. In this capacity he took part in many international conventions, in particular the U.N. General Assembly and the African conferences of Lagos, Addis Abeba, Dakar and Other. In the general election of March 1964 he was returned to the National assembly as an SYL deputy for Beled Weyne.

Those three men HASSAN JAMA wanted us to choose from are three ****** whom will only be remembered by there own kinsmen and not on a NATIONAL LEVEL like General Maxamed Abshir Hamaan and Cabdirisaaq Xaaji Xuseen and their likes!

Jaamac you actually read. lol smile.gif Just joking, but really if Abdirizaq Xaaji Xuseen and Maxamed Abshir are great men, and I don't doubt they once were because of their achievements. Why don't they do something about today????? I think it was true what Dr Ismaciil Ibrahim Axmed, that people from Somalia Proper suffer from political amnesia. At least, Abdirashiid Ali Sharmarke has a better chance of being the greatest because he didn't have the luxury of living to this day. What have these two people done for the Somali people today? Ever heard of what have you done for me lately? smile.gifsmile.gif

Sophist   

None of the Above.

Laakiin hade hadii aan taan heysano iska jaf jafaneyno;

This is my list.

Perhaps Save Ina Abdule Hassan, I would say

1. C/risaaq Xaaji Xuseen. Very shrewd and intelligent man altered (was in the middle of doing) the formation and the function of Somali Civil Service-- while at Office, it is reported that he indeed reduced the level of fraud and nepotism to more than half.

Sophist

saaxibkey Spadez, you've asked a very good question wich a lot of Somalis wrestle with. The answer is that these days you have to have military power to make a difference in Somalia and the political will. These men certainly have the political will but they both live in Twin Cities Minnesota and with no power at all.

They both belong to a clan whom allready have chosen their leader wich is Colonel Cabdullaahi Yuusuf Axmed.

But to get back to the original TOPIC, Cabdirisaaq Xaaji Xuseen like Sophist said had reduced nepotism and corruption wich was very prevalent at the time. A problem every young nation has to deal with in it's debut.

But he also banned the tribal representation rules, he thought they were dragging Somalia down if an unqualified person would be allocated a government post just because his clan is needs the representation.

He changed it into "BEST PERSON FOR THE JOB GETS IT!" thus only qualified people would work for the government under his reign.

His best quality however is his unclannic look on Somali political affairs. You know what I mean if you've listened to BBC somalia this week with Siilaanyo and Cabdirisaaq Xaaji Xuseen.

His BIGGEST mistake is promoting General Maxamed Siyaad Barre as commander of the armed forces while everybody knew Siyaad Barre was no good. In an interview when asked about this matter he simply replied that he was the oldest, highest ranking an most experienced military officer. You can see he's a man serving his people.

BTW: I refrained from voting, because otherwise it would mean I agree those three are the greatest three Somali politicians.

...But if I would be asked who is the best of the three...I would choose Marxuum Maxamed Xaaji Ibraahim Cigaal (Alla ha uu naxaristee)

gotta go...have to go to the mosque!!!

well, it looks uncle Igaal is kicking it!! whaddaya know!

i believe this dude saved the landers but his prior record dont hold water!! w/o!

his work always lead to no wars! unlike the 2 other mos! after reading lil bit about him, he led me to believe that he was very shrewed chap!

however, my ole man hates his guts! but then my ole hates everyone!! unless u gave him th $$$ then u is his buddy-o-pal!!

Gediid   

^^^^^Unfortunately Igal passed away but he was very generous with the $$$$.Surprised your old man never knew that