Sign in to follow this  
Thankful

Journalist Freed - She says she was tortured by southerns holding her

Ibtisam   

^^^SOMALI women and Children have been killed in their 1000s for 20yrs, think about that for a second. She lived to tell the tale.

ONLF situation = by a so called Somali government, who claim to be elected and in control

White women kidnapped = by Criminal gang who answer to no one and represent no one.

It is a No brainer! really.

The Zack   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

^^^SOMALI women and Children have been killed in their 1000s for 20yrs, think about that for a second. She lived to tell the tale.

ONLF situation = by a so called Somali government, who claim to be elected and in control

White women kidnapped = by Criminal gang who answer to no one and represent no one.

It is a No brainer! really.

Well said! ThanksfulSP is trying to compare apples and oranges.

NGONGE   

Aren't Puntland trying to find oil? They should hire Thankful you know. He seems good at digging himself into holes.. :D

Buuxo   

Im so glad the Journos were released.Who would of thought after all this time,this day would be realised.

Originally posted by Mr.Paragon:

I feel human for her pain,

and Somali for the shame.

Good or bad we're the same.

This is yet another shame.

Indeed.

Thankful   

It amazes me that the same people that were up in arms about the ONLF acquisitions, haven't said a word yet, this is what the lady says happened.

Lindhout and Brennan were kept in rough conditions, given little food, faced beatings and torture while holed up in dark, windowless rooms. There were times when I was beaten. I was tortured in extremely difficult situations," Lindhout, 28, told CTV News. "Yeah, because the money wasn't (coming) quickly enough for these men, and they seemed to think that if they beat me enough, when I was able to speak to my mother . . . I would be able to say the right things."

These monsters would do that to a lady! Yet none of you like Zack or Ngonge have anything to say right!

The Zack   

Thankful,

The sources you provided are not good enough for me to believe this story. How can you be so sure that this lady has been kidnapped? Couldn't it be possible that she agreed with these guys to kidnap her to get money from her mom? I mean, you don't need to believe every thing you read. :D:D:D

Thankful   

Thanks for proving my point! Any negative Puntland news you'll use it to score some political points. Any negative news outside of Puntland you'll keep silent and joke about it.

Thankful   

No you don't, that's the issue here, you believe the ONLF stuff from Puntland with little to no evidence even after there was so many changes. So you are someone that doesn't need hard evidence to believe something. You were outraged about that incident. Now where is the outrage about this incident?? Why are you quiet now, after she says that she was abused and beaten and given little to eat. Now you are asking for evidence??? But when it's negative Puntland news, you dont need it right?

I think I've proven the hypocrisy among the anti-Puntland group, that haven't said one word since this news broke about abuse. But won't stop talking about the allegations of ONLF rebels in Puntland.

You all turn a blind eye if the news of abuses involves the side you support, but if it is the Federal or Puntland governments, you run with it.

I posted the article to show that the same people talking about the oppressive Puntland government will keep their mouths shut when acquisitions comes out about the small group of monsters on the side they support do something.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Aren't Puntland trying to find oil? They should hire Thankful you know. He seems good at
digging
himself into holes..
:D

Good one, war kani inuu wax difaaco daaye isagaaba is kharibaya. War ninka iska qabto, mayaysan jirin wax debate kan ku dhaama oo difaaci kara gobolka?

Thankful   

Of all hostages from europe and around the world who were held by the pirate criminals and the kidnappings, has anyone ever complained they were subjected to this level of abusive treatment??? Especially on a woman? :mad:

The Age

Prisoners of anarchy in flight to freedomDANIEL FLITTON

November 27, 2009

NO SMILING, no laughing. Week after week - through two summers and a winter - Nigel Brennan was locked in a room with little light or food. His captors, Somali bandits intent on squeezing a rich prize for his release, denied him humour as well as freedom.

''Not that there was much to laugh about,'' he said yesterday, finally free 462 days after he and Canadian journalist colleague Amanda Lindhout were taken hostage near a refugee camp on the outskirts of Mogadishu.

''My friend Amanda had a pretty rough time,'' Brennan said yesterday from a hotel in Mogadishu. ''She was severely beaten and we were both tortured both mentally and physically. Being pistol-whipped is sort of torture, being completely stripped of everything and then locked in a room … is a form of torture, really.''

Both were reported to have boarded a small private plane at Mogadishu airport last night in an escape from their 15-month ordeal. They had no warning of their release.

Brennan and Lindhout were taken hostage on August 23 last year while in Somalia as freelance reporters. They had only been in the country four days, intending to report on the plight of internally displaced refugees. Somalia is a land of anarchy. The government crumbled almost two decades ago, and in the void, pirates and warlords have turned the gun into law. The Australian Government warns against any travel to the strife-torn nation.

Held separately, neither had much idea about the health of the other or the fate of negotiations on a reputedly $US1 million ($A1.09 million) ransom for their release.

''Basically, my day was sitting in a corner, on the floor, 24 hours a day for the last 15 months,'' Lindhout told Canadian television.

But little did Brennan or Lindhout know that in Australia, a special Government taskforce was devoting endless hours to their case.

This included a deployment of Australian Federal Police and Defence personnel to Nairobi, Kenya, and a Royal Australian Air Force transport plane in the Middle East on constant standby to sweep in and collect the freed hostages.

Meeting in Canberra's Foreign Affairs building at 10 o'clock each Monday morning for a review of the latest developments - taking in reports from the AFP on negotiations and the latest intelligence reports - the taskforce also included diplomats and representatives from the Prime Minister's Department.

Ideas were thrashed out across the table. A military option for a snatch-and-grab operation was quickly ruled out. ''Going in Black Hawk Down-style was never an option,'' one source said. But it is believed a team of Australian special forces soldiers were on alert to provide a secure transition of the hostages if needed.

The Australian Government has a policy of not paying hostage ransom but it is believed a substantial ''consular loan'' to the family was proposed.

Foreign Affairs consular operations branch director James Choi - described as an impressive and accomplished diplomat - had the job of dealing with the Brennan family.

Australia worked closely with Canada, which also sent national police to Nairobi. The cost of this enormous Government effort has run into the millions - the high price of the pair's foolish misadventure.

But sources have told The Age that freedom for Brennan and Lindhout was won after the families engaged a private security company - believed to be AKE Group - in an expensive gamble to bring their loved ones home.

''This has been an unbelievably harrowing and wearing ordeal and nothing could have prepared us as a family for what we have gone through since Nigel's capture,'' Brennan's sister, Kellie, said yesterday in Sydney.

But the family declined to discuss the details of the case, including claims that a hefty ransom was paid. ''I want to make it really clear … they are still in Somalia and they are not out of danger yet,'' Kellie Brennan said.

The costs of employing the security company are believed to run into thousands of dollars a day. The Brennan family had run barbecues to raise funds.

Prominent Australian business people - including Dick Smith - were approached to help raise extra money.

Mr Smith last night confirmed he had been approached, but declined to go into details.

''To the individuals who have worked so closely with the two families in this case, you know who you are and we could not have gotten this far without you,'' Kellie Brennan said.

Soon after Brennan and Lindhout were captured, Foreign Minister Stephen Smith asked all media - including The Age - to refrain from reporting the case for fear it might put efforts to release the pair in jeopardy.

Yet the Government was still refusing yesterday to comment on their release.

But The Age has learnt of the extraordinary efforts to free the pair. Hopes had risen time and again, with the captors seemingly close to releasing their prisoners.

Phones rang for AFP agents at all hours with demands, and the family was told that Brennan was sick and in need of medical attention, but there was no way of knowing if this was accurate or an effort to increase pressure.

''They seemed to think that if they beat me enough,'' Lindhout said, ''then when I was able to speak to my mother - they would put me on the line with her every couple of months - that I would be able to say the right thing to convince her to pay the ransom.''

How the drama unfolded

August 24, 2008

Foreign Affairs officials seek to confirm reports that Australian photojournalist Nigel Brennan and Canadian journalist Amanda Lindhout have been abducted by unidentified armed rebels near Mogadishu.

September 7, 2008

The kidnappers are reportedly demanding a $US1 million ($A1.09 million) ransom to free the journalists.

September 17, 2008

Al-Jazeera television broadcasts footage of Brennan and Lindhout, along with armed men who call themselves the Mujahideen of Somalia.

May 25, 2009

In a five-minute phone call with an AFP journalist in Mogadishu, Brennan and Lindhout say they are in poor health and request help from their governments.

May 26

Foreign Minister Stephen Smith says public discussion and media coverage of the situation could endanger Brennan's life.

July 23

Brennan's mother makes an unexpected approach to Mr Rudd while he is on a visit to Bundaberg, asking for his help.

November 26

Brennan and Lindhout are freed after 462 days in captivity. Brennan's family confirms his release. Brennan says he and Lindhout ''were both tortured, both mentally and physically''.

With AGENCIES

Originally posted by ThankfulSP:

Of all
hostages
from europe and around the world who were
held by pirate criminals and the kidnappings
, has anyone ever complained they were subjected to this level of abusive treatment??? Especially on a woman? :mad:

You're just totally missing the point. Just let this thread go, and hide your foolishness.