Sign in to follow this  
-Lily-

Weight Matters

-Lily-   

Just yesterday at work I went to the local Fish & Chip shop, purely because I was gripped by urge to eat chips. Anyone who has tasted chips from F&C shops knows that the tastes of those chips are incomparable to other chips elsewhere. Non F&C chips fail to make them as tasty, fat and juicy. So I make my way back to the office and it is as if a disaster has befallen the workplace. I could mentally hear all conversations seizing as the fragrance of freshly fried chips filled the air.

My colleague, who lives on a daily dose of rabbit food (salad) with minimum dressing, looked in horror at the chips. I offered her some, she refused. She couldn’t sit next to me so as to not tempt her any further I went to the kitchen. Another colleague walked by while I waited for the chips to cool down. She looked on in a mixture of distain and delight. She tells me how unhealthy they are (Oh really, I didn't know that!) and says now I have tempted her beyond resistance. I offer her one and she takes it grudgingly. Later she says she has had her chips for the week, one. Another college declared that it has been 2 years since she last ate a biscuit.

My manager walks by, a late 40-50 something stunning woman who looks 20 years younger than her age (apparently it's a must to look at least a decade younger than you are, no matter what the cost). She says, 'Oh I smell chips, whose chips are they?' I smile nicely and offer her some, she refuses, her excuse 'When you get to my age dear, it takes a lot more to shift one pound' . Only the IT girl, who is a slightly normal human being like me, ate a chip without comment or guilt. She was a healthy size 12. The strange thing is that all the skinny girls/women in the office were the ones who constantly talked about dieting and food. This isn't the first time this has happened. It's an office culture, where every break and lunchtime is wasted on comparing calories, even teas and coffees have been changed to 'healthier' brands.

Now it's one thing to eat healthy but another to discuss food at every eating opportunity. You would think that dieting is prevailing at this time of year, with summer coming up and magazine's urging to 'Get that bikini body NOW! ’ This month's Glamour issue, which featured a skeletal Nichole Ritchie, actually had the nerve to tell you 'What to DO, EAT, BUY and WEAR' , why don't they give you a manual on how to breathe as well? No, this is an all year trend.

I for one am sick of hearing about food and dieting in one breath and using ‘healthy eating’ as an excuse to 'diet'. Healthy eating is a life choice, it is not dieting. Somebody needs to drum that in.

It is truly distasteful to be talking about how many calories is in the food you are eating, especially when you are sitting down and eating with people, regardless if they are WOMEN and not men. This is extremely annoying (& insulting to those starving) when they should really be grateful to the Lord they have that meal to begin with. So basically, if you are on a diet, get on with it quietly. No the world isn’t interested in how many calories you lost this week or how many times you ‘slipped up’ or about the latest fat- free-sugar-free-salt-free-energy free-nothingness that’s available to you, that you have to grimace through and pretend it tastes as lovely as the original.

It's also unnerving how women judge other women solely on their weight, I mean she could be a company Director, a Professor, an excellent mum of two, if she isn't skinny, it's ‘Oh great, but too bad about the weight’ or ‘If only she were to loose a few kilos/pounds, she would be ''perfect'' ' . It's sickening.

My philosophy is, you want to be healthy, exercise, and stuff your face. Or enjoy an obeasity in bliss.

Janna   

Interesting story, Lily.

Might I add, I am so luck not be around such non-sense. We should be thankful for what Allah has given us. It's also important not to kill ourselves by overeating. Food is desire. ;) Some people cannot control their desire. :D

Lily, your workplace sounds like a sitcom office. :D

Ppl always talk about food, don't they? In my previous job, there used to be a woman who insisted on making a drama out of every single thing she put into her mouth ala "I did such a naughty thing last night (everyone stops to listen)...I had a chocolate digestive! (Cue a gasp or two)...ok fine...I didnt stop @ just the one (cue more gasps), but that's it for the month. No more choc bickies!!!! (relieved laughter and applause)"

It used to be really annoying. Thankfully, there are no such problems at my current job, if anything it's the opposite. Everyone loves to cook and discuss what great and exotic dishes they made/ate over the weekend. We have a lot of catered meetings/events, as well as a highly protected FridayLunch@arestaurant policy. I'm usually forced to cut back on what I eat at other times (as well as at home) to balance it out. No one on a diet would survive in this office!

PS: Leave Glamour alone, yeah? It's my favourite Mag and I'm already dry-buffing my body so I can Fit into that bikini now!. :cool:

I think we should watch what we eat special those of us who sit while they work.

My self after 6 month of my job I realized I have gained 10 pounds just case all I do is sit and drink pop

So I started to watch what I eat and drink, so my suggestion is do a lot of walking and drink water, it helps me.

-Lily-   

Ahura, that woman sounds like she would fit in beautifully in this office. Here you would feel like you should be on death-row if you even discuss delicious food. Sounds like you have a mature office. It is getting to the extend that eating junk food ‘interferes with spirit of team work’ and ‘lacks support’. They all go to spinning classes, Ti Chai or whatever it’s called, and deviate between yoga & Pilates, depending on which is more fashionable that week.

About Glamour, I like it too (and Marie Claire) but I was buying a drink on my way home yesterday, feeling frustrated with s*lly women from the office and LO and Behold! Glamour tells you what to ‘eat, do and wear’; I just wanted to smash the whole stand smile.gif . I love their clothes section, Cosmopolitan has an excellent fashion section, laakin, shame about the rest, and their whole universe is cantered around men & sex. ‘How to please your man’, ‘Is he thinking of popping the Q?’ ‘Tips from Gay men’ have seriously put me off from ever buying it again.

It’s in our interest to eat healthy, but not to obsess over weight, that itself is form of illness. From where I am standing it is glamorized starvation.

(relieved laughter and applause)" LoL thats halarious, I know people like that.

There is nothing more annoying than healthy people with normal weight obsessing about food or scales! Uff. They make me lose my appetite. I tend to lose and gain weight regularly...it doesn't faze me because I know that if I stop eating chocaltes ice cream every single day (I'm going for a record here ok. :D ). It would just melt off---no, technically not melt but slowly dissappear into the fat graveyard. I do have a problem with exercise though---can someone tell me how I can stay motivated for more than a week?. I've tried running, jogging, bike riding, walking about I stop after a week or two or I start feeling cramps in my legs or tummy. I guess I could only focus on changing my food and cutting out some of the fat and sugar.

Waterlily, those people are not crazy about colories. They're just a bunch of aliens masqurating as your workmates who are cleverly tring to avoid normal human food. I would just laugh in their faces as I slowly pop each oil and salt soaked chip into my mouth. *drools* I've always said, everyone is going to die. I might as well die eating my favourite foods instead of denying myself the wonderful pleasure that only sugar laden food can provide.

Hayat   

i think its healthy to gain weght and lose it, it keeps you busy plus it introduces your body to extraemes slowly diminishing health complications. Its a balance really. but yeah i agree with you scarlet:

There is nothing more annoying than healthy people with normal weight obsessing about food or scales! Uff.

. like that is meant to change anything!!. :rolleyes: show-offs. what is more frustrating though is people who are fat, and when you eat launch with them, they make you look like a pig, whilst they slowly insert peice bit by bit :mad:

enjoy food, but don't show off as well as don't let go off yourself,thats my theology.

you got to love people who eat decently, love their food at the sametime can control their weight.there shouldn't be any fussing :D

nafta   

You know, I think most people consider the 'perfect weight' to be about fitting into size 8 jeans or a tiny dress, when it really should be about being at a weight where they (as an individual) feel most comfortable.

It's like shoes, you buy a strappy pair with killer heels, which totally assault your feet, but you would bear with the agony for the sake of your appearance.

Why put yourself through all that when mid-level heels would've done just fine and saved you a lot of blisters (and plasters!).

Essentially, the "ideal weight" should be about looking good to yourself and feeling comfortable in your own body, rather than trying to please everyone around you. If you are natually voluptous you're hardly ever going to be a perfect size 8 are ya?

More to the point, some people don't look as good when they lose all that weight. There's nothing pretty about a portruding collar bone, where you can rest a drink on and hide your keys in at the same time!

Think. Life would be so much easier staying at a constant dress size, rather than yo-yoing between sizes. Not to mention save yourself a lot of money!

Economist says peaple live longer, look fit/smart as ever before beacause of the healthy food, modern medicine..i know it is sin to say that refering to our HOLLY DIIN but it is better to take healthy food/drink and control the kind of meal u take daily especially women need to do that ..if u take chips every-day and eat SAXN WEYN BAASTO at nights(if your desires of eating take ur upper-hand)exercise has nothing to do with fitness/smartenes as well as ur health..still fat womem are around , enjoy on their lives, marry handsome man ...my previous girl was 87kg

Janna   

Originally posted by man_in_malaysia:

Economist says peaple live longer, look fit/smart as ever before beacause of the healthy food, modern medicine...still fat womem are around,...my previous girl was 87kg

Economist have the knowledge to comment on weight? Shouldn't they be more concerned whether their markets crush tomorrow and find ways on preventing a market crush. Perhaps women should be more weight conscious. Considering the fact your previous girl weighed 87kg, you should have encouraged her to excerise more depending on her height.

Women world wide wish to have the perfect figure. However some are unable to accomplish due to their addiction to food.

ladies! as long as u burn them calories in sweat everything will be cool! i just dont wanna here yall saying i think, my back side is getting bigger!! lol.. ok.. that thing is nowadays consider a leathal weapon!!

ahura! dont sweat, just try some bikini wax!! it works like charm!! u dig!! its faraaxs best friend!!

you are right they are about to measure and predict logics about market , but they are moslty talk about two variables monetary system and population growth and for that they say shortly and recently decades peaple live longer because of healthy food, modern medicine for them to consider the world(developed countries ) will have more unemployed/retired DUQ peaple then ever that will affect economic growth.

Considering the fact your previous girl weighed 87kg, you should have encouraged her to excerise more depending on her height.

i did ...but what i meant was .there are alot of peaple like me who dont have problem with fatness if she is intellegent and intellectual person/smart person that her comment send ya luring mood thinking...

Janna   

Man,

Understood.

Fatness is a shame to majority of people. Seeing as you enjoy extra layers on a woman, fatness would be a privilege.

Ibtisam   

lool water; your work place is madness. there is a size 4/6 women of 25 in my work place who is on a diet the whole year around. I swear she has nothing but Yogurt for Lunch. I actually liked yogurt and salad before i started working in central London, where people consider it as a meal rather than an addition to your meal.

My advice, eat as much as you want then dance and hit the gym. No need to starve your self, with a 2liters of water, 5fruits and a yogurt. :rolleyes:

In saying that there are a lot more people around who are over weight, and need to get it under control for their own sake.

bottom line, women should watch what they ear if they still wanna look Fab!

If women eat greasy stuff than they are what they eat>>simple not rocket science theory need there,

Please refrain from chips/any refinded carbs/sweats/ or fried foods if You want to look smashing hot chick with the body