chubacka

Today I....

Dahl lol ulekua una subiri stori ya kuchunwa na buzi nini? lol sija fikia stege hiyo thank god....mwenzako nangalia benki yangu leo eti naona neme lepa hela kwenye account Fulani nisijua shoga neleona mataa kichwani mwangu..

Ps wakumbuka mwembo wa taraab –mchuni buzi?

Ibtisam   

Today... I am very sad, I spent too long reading the news this morning and last night I could not sleep, instead I spent hours reading about the sorry state of humans across the world. In addition humanitarian NGO's reports and endless unsuccessful campaigns has reduced me to a thoroughly depressed and hopeless state of mind. The world is messed up. :(

Miriam1   

The whole system upon which NGO's are constructed on sooner or later determines their faliure..so I would say get use to all the sad and depressing stories.

Nobody from outside can come in and tell you how to change..one requires to have internal insight and combine action with word, to produce concious and critical discourse on their conditions and on the power relations that exist between them and external actors like NGOs, interstate organizations and international organizations. ..Paulo Freire not me.. I feel like answering your question cynical even though its not addressed to me.

What someone can do..the average joe or jane, chill and figure your own road to success, being a little selfish never hurt. And most likely you will be doing alot more good when your capable to attain some sort of expertise and relative power.

What did I do today? read effing too much..where's the tv..ugly bettys on

Ibtisam   

^^^Interesting take on things. But I think that only works for certain type of people, I cannot trick my mind.

In all cases it is very hard to close your eyes and ignore what you see or exposed to on daily basis. Everyone once in a while it will bring you down, but if you keep trying (and if enough people keep trying in their own way) I really do think it will and it can make a difference. In some places we may not live to see those changes, nor will the suffering easy as a direct result of your current action, but setting the institutions and building the capabilities now, may benefit others in 50yrs or so, it may mean that certain illness will not kill the poor on mass scale, or that dominate states can murder and massacre others, or people won't die of hungry in one place, while food is wasted in another. Obviously there is a high chance that the world will only get worse, with more injustices, higher gap of distribution of wealth, more wars etc. But even if a collective effort benefits one person, it must be better than doing nothing....well at least that is what I tell myself. Who knows maybe this is another way to make myself feel better…….

Today I have a lot of work to do. Why I'm here?

-Lily-   

Ghanima, you’re going through classic-IR/Politics/Development Studies depression. Soon you will either be one of those rare brilliant sparks of people who DO or you’ll get an NGO job helping some wretched creatures out, or depending on how good your contacts are, your shoes could be heard click clicking in air conditioned mega international organisation headquarters. Either way, you will not loose out!

Today I, I, ...

I don’t think its fair on the NGO’s out there to be painted as failures waiting to happen just on the basis of their construction, yes some have been subordinated in such a way that there no longer fair, impartial or transparent, some are nothing but a façade organisation acting for the hegemonic power ( more visible from there funding)…on the same token there some out there who do provide a valuable services to the masses without them millions would have died and are still out there filling the social welfare/service vacuum the state has long deserted….. So lets not devalue there services here

Development has always been economic and policy pursuing growth it said nothing about social welfare even though it claims so, as for the top down approach in development, there is no alternative; the development manual/project that was issued from Washington in 1949, 1980s triumph of the neo-liberals ensured/reasserted the hegemony and its dominance globally ie geographically, economically, politically and socially in turn flexing its muscle in every corner of the globe…. So Hayam- how can you realise this conscious discourse? That will in turn establish a justifiable power relation between the state & external actors? Also lets not forget states/leaders have long been externalised and are now nothing but Whoring for the market/ hence why national liberalisation policy has become a national project one undertaken by the states themselves either through consent or by association ( that’s why most of the African leaders are so well off than there subjects) they have accepted the consequences of capitalist development under neo-liberalism, in which the role of the state has been reduced to administrator, protector of resources for the benefit of MNC/Market not its people…..all in the name of economic development not social welfare…..

Ghani- what institutions, what capabilities are you referring to? Also don’t you think 50yrs is wee bit optimistic? For centauries the concentration of wealth within the hierarchy has remained the same what makes you think such is about to change or the late comers to development somehow will get there share of the wealth? Do keep in mind of what happened in 1997, how the capitalist countries + its institutions changed the rules of the game, the capitalist system is a dynamic system that knows nothing but accumulation/profit, now thanks to the neo-liberals/IFIs it has a defence, a mechanism that will protect that concentration of wealth…..

Ps Ghani most of what you see its part and parcel with the primitive stage of capitalist accumulation hence forth the degradation at mass scale…..wallowing on the sheer volume of injustices/declining social welfare around the world would not help… I don’t think just chilling is an option, but I believe it’s a personal quest and each to there own…. But being depressed about it won’t help! the question still remains what would you do

Miriam1   

CYNICAL! love your response. tell me are u a polisci, IDS, or international economics major? I will respond, however allow to formulate a substantial counterpoint.

p.s I giggled when I read Hegemony, I love that word..