Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Government troops move on Mogadishu

NASSIR   

Government troops move on Mogadishu

Al Jazeera

Ethiopian troops supporting the forces of Somalia's transitional government are advancing towards the capital, Mogadishu, as the United Nations Security Council calls an emergency meeting on the conflict.

Fighters from the Council of Islamic Courts have retreated from the main frontline after a week of artillery and mortar fighting.

The Ethiopian prime minister said that more than 1,000 people have been killed in the fighting.

"We got reports of more than 3,000 wounded in a Mogadishu hospital. Those who died are well over 1,000," Meles Zenawi said, two days after Ethiopia admitted military intervention in the country.

Both sides have reported killing hundreds of their opponents in the recent fighting, but the claims could not be independently confirmed.

The Red Cross said that more than 800 casualties had been admitted to hospital since the fighting began and thousands of people had fled their homes.

The Islamic Courts admitted that they had been forced to withdraw from many frontline positions, but have vowed to dig in for a long war with Ethiopia, which has denied intentions of taking the capital.

"Liberating towns is not our agenda. Our troops have not entered any town," Meles said.

"Our forces and that of the [transitional federal government] have broken the back of the international terrorist forces around Baidoa and they are in full retreat now," he added.

Heading for Mogadishu

Abdelkarin Farah, Somalia's ambassador to Ethiopia, told journalists in Addis Ababa that the transitional government's forces were 100km from the capital.

Islamic troops withdrew more than 80km to the southeast from Daynuney, a town just south of Baidoa and advancing government and Ethiopian troops captured Bur Haqaba, one of the Courts' main bases, after it was abandoned early on Tuesday.

"We woke up from our sleep this morning and the town was empty of troops, not a single Islamic fighter," Ibrahim Mohamed Aden, a resident of Bur Haqaba, said.

Islamic Courts fighters were also reportedly retreating on two other fronts. On the southern front, government troops captured Dinsor and on the northern front, government and Ethiopian troops entered the town of Bulo Barde, where two weeks ago an Islamic cleric said anyone who did not pray five times a day would be executed.

Government and Ethiopian troops were headed for Jowhar, 90km north of Mogadishu, after driving Islamic courts troops from Bandiradley, Adadow and Galinsor.

"We have decided to change our tactics," Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, the head of the Islamic Courts executive committee, told a news conference in Mogadishu. "We are ready to start long-lasting war with Ethiopia."

Tactical retreat

An Islamic courts commander told AFP on condition of anonymity: "There is a lot of pressure from every frontline and in order to overcome this war, Islamic fighters have emptied several posts including Burhakaba and Dinsoor.

"This action is a military tactic, it is a kind of military retreat."

Meanwhile, Abdirahman Dinari, a Somali transitional government spokesman, has called on foreign fighters, believed to be supporting the Council of Islamic Courts, to pull out and allow Somalis to seek ways of restoring peace in their nation, wracked by conflict since the 1991 ousting of Mohamed Siad Barre.

On Tuesday, he said: "We ask all the foreign fighters to pull out of the country and allow Somalis to seek ways of reconciling and establishing peace.

"We strongly appeal to the Islamic Courts to put down arms because the government has made a decision to give them complete amnesty."

The offensive came after thousands of Ethiopian soldiers prevented the Islamic Courts from surrounding and capturing Baidoa, the only major city under government control.

Castro   

Originally posted by Caamir:

On Tuesday, he [Abdirahman Dinari, a Somali transitional government spokesman] said: "We ask
all the foreign fighters to pull out of the country
and allow Somalis to seek ways of reconciling and establishing peace.

Is Dinari including the Ethiopian troops when he says all foreign fighters? Mise he, like A/Y and Hiraale, strongly believes the Ethiopians are exempt from foreign status since they're in bed, missionary style, with the TFG? LOL.

Castro   

^ The words "all foreign", numskull, can only mean one thing. ALL, by definition, has no exclusions. Perhaps you're another door knob related to Hiraale. It seems that infested gene pool has reached everywhere.

Jacpher   

to Addis Ababa said Ethiopian troops were within 40 miles (70 km) of Mogadishu and could capture it in 24 to 48 hours.

Who is running the show? The ex-warlord turned government or the Ethiopian government? The reports don't add up.

"We strongly appeal to the Islamic Courts to put down arms because the government has made a decision to give them complete amnesty."

Thats very generous of the Government, but it comes from victor who has to reconstitute a country and bring it back to the world.

RedSea   

The warlords whom we all know what they were are back today after Ethiopia implemented them on their former seats of corruption.Some people call this a help,that is really sad.

It's beyond my comprehension,how could some people actually believe that the Ethiopians are helping out the Somalis...well I gues by bringing back former warlords and bombarding the Somali capital.

So when we say government troops,do we mean the Xabashis if not then who is moving to Xamar,or maybe the TFG has over 30 thousand,well equiped with tanks,and jetfighters,is that the TFG? you tell me,idiocy in at its worst.

Axmaaro jab hada ayuunbuu sugayaa.Gorrila war shall start,they will be warned out,their cities will be rocked afterwards.Ethiopia will not feel any pressure unless fire blazes within their own territory.

Aaliyyah   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Lets be real, if the Islamic courts didn't threat the transitional government in Baidoe then Ethiopians wouldn't have been able to invade Somalia. Unfortunately, the Islamic courts facilitated that by threatning them and giving them certain days to withdraw from Baidoe; naturally they thought that the transitional government wouldn’t get support from Ethiopians just like the Mogadishu warlords. What they forget to differentiate was the fact that the transitional government is established government for Somalia. Do not get me wrong, I am not content with the fact that Ethiopians are invading Somalia, but I am just holding responsible the Islamic courts. Why didn't they just stick to Hamar? They were allowed to conquer Hamar? If they were fighting for peace as I thought they were don’t you think they would have found a way to establish peace and negotiate with the transitional government.

Wa Salaaamu Alaykum.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Somali_Friend:

Thats very generous of the Government, but it comes from victor who has to reconstitute a country and bring it back to the world.

listen you filthy infidel,I rather die and have my body burned alive,then appeal to empty appeals.

This is just getting started,let Ethiopia penetrate more and more into somali cities,they will not return.Their graves are dug there and their dream to implement a puppet so called government which they control will not work.

You are little to low to be mouthing of wouldn't you say,since you are an infidel,the only place you and I will meet is in the battle field.

We don't have anything else in common,kill me if you can,I sure would love to die for trying to kill an infidel.

surrender they say? what a joke,the Jihad is on.

Allahu Akbar.

RedSea   

Originally posted by AAliyah416:

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Lets be real, if the Islamic courts didn't threat the transitional government in Baidoe then Ethiopians wouldn't have been able to invade Somalia. Unfortunately, the Islamic courts facilitated that by threatning them and giving them certain days to withdraw from Baidoe; naturally they thought that the transitional government wouldn’t get support from Ethiopians just like the Mogadishu warlords. What they forget to differentiate was the fact that the transitional government is established government for Somalia. Do not get me wrong, I am not content with the fact that Ethiopians are invading Somalia, but I am just holding responsible the Islamic courts. Why didn't they just stick to Hamar? They were allowed to conquer Hamar? If they were fighting for peace as I thought they were don’t you think they would have found a way to establish peace and negotiate with the transitional government.

Wa Salaaamu Alaykum.

Walaalo you have totally start to sound like the lost lot,not that I am saying you are.

Ethiopia shouldnt' in the first place have had the right to being in Somalia.They had no approval from the people nor the so called parliament,therefore,who gave them the right to manuave and kill the Somali people.

My dear sister,this so called TFG that you see is just puppet for Ethiopia,it's not serving the somali people nor is it serving its own interests but rather Ethiopia's interest in the region.

Peace and nogiation with the puppet government was and is the postion of the Islamic courts union,under only one condition that the Ethiopians withdraw from Somali soil.The ethiopians knowing that they are actually the one behind this whole TFg didnt want to get their hands out of the pot,so what is there to nogiate.

there is no way to justify the aggression of the Ethiopian infidels.

If Ethiopia feels threaten in their home country,they would have the right to self defense, but if you bring your filthy troops into my soil,then tell me of what to do,whether I provoke a war with you or not at the point is justified,because you are in my soil.

woow, some people seem a little upset. Hey, the fighting is taking place in somalia not Somaliaonline. By the why, numskull kabiir, it does not mean one thing but what I am trying to explain to you, you need go back to school you simpleton. By the way, I am not related to barre to the gene pool you speak of is million times better then the dog genes that make up yours.

Suldaanka, you id**t, Your "Country" has been the wh**re of Ethiopia and the weakist country in the world: ya booty. Why are trying to block now?

RedSea   

^The infidel,the dameer without the damiir is you.You should maybe start star singing chorus" of Ethiopia my love".

Drop the somali nick and start being a wayane,in my sight you and your likes are even worst than the sh1t that sticks to the bottom of my shoes.

We shall see who ends up shedding crocidle tears,because Jihad has just began,the Somali people are united more than ever before.

oh,did you know that your blood is now a xalaal for me,you better believe,I could fill your lungs with so full of lead and I wouldnt' be held against me in the hereafter you dumb moron,munaafiq,nacalatulaa calayka *****al Xabash, wamacahum.

Castro   

^ Xaax, atheer Red Sea, waa ku sidee. Waar sowka ninku waysadii kaa jabiyay. Easy atheer. I know they boil your blood just seeing their words but don't let it get to you. Throw in the words door knob here and there. That seems to hit a raw nerve. :D

Don't let MMA come around here and censor you. Or even worse, LSK might come out of hiding wearing his TFG jersey ( :D ) and ban you altogether.

Originally posted by Mr.Red Sea:

what a joke,the Jihad is on.

Allahu Akbar.

Don't play with religion. Its not a commercial product to be promoted with some pakistani or arab garb.

That fake imposters Jihad call is getting Aweye embarassed for the third time.

Find another reason to fight us. We can fight over a goat, a river, a hill, a farm land, a mine..whatever, but unless you have brought a new sect there is no reason for somali and ethiopians to fight on religion.

Try as you can, but the fakery will be exposed and the hipocrisy called upon in the street where you live, before you reach us.