Sign in to follow this  
commonsense

Why lie about your age?

Hibo   

LadyFatima...oh come on, add 4 years? Girl I look way younger than my age to begin with, so no1 even believes my age.

Anyway, Buubto, its funny how u use to call certain pple eedo and habayar when u were younger...and all of a sudden, when we became young ladies......they get offended when we do??? I don't get it. I say it out of respect. I can't imagine calling a lady older than my mom ..Xalimo ama LuuL. Please!!!

------------------

"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Almighty can stand up to anything."

Buubto   

Tamina

Sis I feel the same, but what can we do if the majority r twist minded walaahi is uncountable seeing ladies constantly complaining were being called auntie. Personally I can’t see the fuss of it. ok we could call them “abooyo” & “aboowe”. There was this lady who has older kids then me she is “grandma”, I called her auntie she gave me greasy look & said abaayo. I was so shocked that I couldn’t believe it.

Is funny how far u could go by lying. there was this lady that my auntie was interpreting 4 her, the lady is in her fifties. The nurse asked her how old r u? she replied I am 35, the nurse couldn’t believe it & said to my auntie is impossible this lady to be 35 lol. She added women 35 years of age don’t go through these changes lol oooooooooops. How embarrassing. Walaahi i wouldn't do that.

------------------

"Our Lord! forgive us our sins and anything we may have done that transgressed our duty: establish our feet firmly, and help us against those that resist Faith." (3:147)

ARAWEELO   

cwm2.gifcwm2.gifcwm2.gif

The funny thing was i used to call women auntie and there was at one point when i was about 18 yrs old when a child called me auntie i got shocked cause it never accured to me that i was old enough to be an auntie.

cwm6.gif

I think that most women I know would not mind to be called auntie simply because it is an honor and respect, sometimes your auntie could be younger.

cwm29.gif

Ameenah you're funny welaahi " a girl needs to be married by a certain age" that makes sense, this makes her lie about her age until she gets married cwm2.gif

I always took it personal when someone tells me...oh i'm 17 years old and she has wrinkles. Or you might hear stories like.... naa Ugaaso 1983 baa India lagu guursadey, what!!!!! she told me she was turning 18 next month.

raula   

LF..if I double-chek...aah!!! cwm28.gif u passed ur due date gal...so betta chek ur local listings 4 any male...4get bout da crib sheet u dat lists all da criteria & so forth....gal Iam tellin' ya its tyme...Yeah. I'll spare u the pity of kashiifayin' ur age...

midwesta

mataan   

salaan dhamaan;

i understand why girls lie about their age, because as Ameenah mentioned in our society when women reach certain age they were called 'guun' and no one used to marry them when they reach that age, so fair enough if the girl plays the smart age game cos thats the only way she would go through, but one thing i dont really understand is why men lie about their age since there is no pressure on them. I hated when people called me little boy in my younger age and i still hate it, but we are all different. the othe ting is that most somalis who came to the west in the late 90s has fake age, I remember when i was in school some somali man aged 25+ was enrolled as 15 year old, he got into so much trouble and i used to translate for him all the time...man the british kids are so cruel they said to him how many children do you have and sh*t like that and he used to terrorise them all the time, ileen waa nin ciyaalka ka wayne waxaba wuu lsyn jiray.

peace

OMIGOD is so true that somalians have issues about age and it became some kind of threat if u ask their age not only women hide theirs men also take a big role....they never move.

Commansense don't you see people who were born back in 70-79 are all coming down to 82-83..LOL damn next 10 years everybody is born in 90s..lol that's even going nuts...

there was this chick that was atleast older then me 5 years and i knew her back in 94 so she came to my 22 birthday and she says i'mway older then her and the sister ain't even close to 19 DAMN get a grip aight...i was like ok guys we all need to move and by the time your grand kids are 19 u guys gotta away the crown

Guys we need a scale that measures up Agesyndrome and weight..LOL alot of secrets will reveil in that way

Pujah   

I can understand women lying about her age But why do guys lie about inconsequential stuff like age. :confused:

UK_ROSE   

I would never ever lie about my age, on the contrary. woman this day and age should be proud of how they look. My manageress is 54y and mashallah if you see her you'd say she is 25 lean boody very elegant.

I am proud of my looks, i look 8 years younger than my age alhamdlilah..

you just need to have confidence and high slef esteem"

winnie   

i think i look 8years older than my age, but im cool with it.

i know guys who lie about their age, it ranges from the perverts who like the youngins (13-15), to just losers who cant accept they have wasted and are continually wasting their lives with parties, drugs and alcohol. denial isnt just a river in egypt.

^Lame line lol.

I think I look my age. Though I do remember being told I looked like I was in year 9 when I was in grade 5. :eek: Though in fairness it was because at that point I was towering over my class mates (can't say the same today im afraid)

Aisha   

Good topic commonsense! We really do need to find an answer to this frustrating Q!!

I remember I was talking with a family friend that I went to primary school with. She was 3 years ahead of me. Somehow her age came up in the convo and she said "I'm the same age as you." I just thought to myself nooooooooooooooooo.............. she's one of them!!! The way these ppl think is just too twisted for me to analyze!

Source   

A lot of people lie about their age, and its not only among Somalis. I guess it all comes down to their self of esteem. However, in my case people find really hard to believe my age... here is an example of a frequent incident..

Lady @ the booth: "You Sir are too young to see this movie its Rated **"

Me: #$#&* Where is my ID argh!! :mad:

Aaliyyah   

Nomadic princess lol sis I know how ye feel, I was always tall myself. Anyways, I am yet to c any one who lies about their age, they either know it, or don’t. Ultimately, age is nothing but a number.

wa salaam