Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

HUMAN RIGHTS IN ISLAM

Salahh   

Ngonge,

I have no clue where you are coming from. First of all, I am surprised that you are content with having one man dominate another due to his/her financial troubles. Another thing, why do we need slaves if people can work and get paid for the amount of work they do? Would it be because we would like to mistreat them knowing that they wouldn't be able to do jack? I don't get it...break it down for me.

JB,

Thanks for the Education....I had no clue the prophet was rolling that deep. Atleast he was buying more than he was selling but I do not get why (him being the prophet and all), he didn't set them free? I am even more appalled that he was selling some?

All in all, I don't think any human can beautify slavery. It doesn't matter wether the economy depended on it....owning a human is unjust.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Salahh:

Ngonge,

I have no clue where you are coming from. First of all, I am surprised that you are content with having one man dominate another due to his/her financial troubles. Another thing, why do we need slaves if people can work and get paid for the amount of work they do? Would it be because we would like to mistreat them knowing that they wouldn't be able to do jack? I don't get it...break it down for me.

JB,

Thanks for the Education....I had no clue the prophet was rolling that deep. Atleast he was buying more than he was selling but I do not get why (him being the prophet and all), he didn't set them free? I am even more appalled that he was selling some?

All in all, I don't think any human can beautify slavery. It doesn't matter wether the economy depended on it....owning a human is unjust.

If you work, your boss owns you.

If you have shelter, your landlord or the gov. owns you.

You are a slave to someone or something; therefor, your line of reasoning is negatable.

Plus, its just arguments that are filled with sentiment and not objectivity.

NGONGE   

Ngonge,

Saaxib, this is not about condoning or condemning. It’s a discussion about slavery and I’m simply trying to look at things from all sides.

Do you agree with the notion that humans throughout history tried to subjugate and dominate other humans? Do you think that this is an inherent human attribute? Again, is it part of our human makeup to seek to dominate another human’s will? Why was Slavery accepted for more than two thousand years and only regarded as ‘unjust’ in the past two hundred? How difficult would it be for the world to return to that time of slavery?

Looking at man’s faults I can never discount the return of slavery. And, no, this is not about colour or origin; slavery knows no colour (though black was quite fashionable).

Is it possible this is why Islam did not prohibit it outright?

Viking   

JB,

Salahh,

Don't rely on JB to educate you on Islam because his knowledge in Islam is extemely inept! It is highly doubtful that he has ibn Qayyim's books lying on his shelf (correct me here if I'm wrong on this JB - and tell me where in the world this book by ibn Qayyim is available in its entirety in English - not the summarised version by al-Tamimi that doesn't touch on the issue of slavery) and a quick "google" search will show you that his sources are very likely to be from one of these three anti-Islamic sites on the net...

http://answering-islam.org/BehindVeil/btv5.html - This website is known all over the world for writting anti-Islamic material that mostly consists of materials from Orientalists and misquoted texts. There is a website called answering-christianity.com which was set up by some yuong Muslims to counter the lies on this website.

http://uk.geocities.com/jonpartin/muslims6.html - This site is run by Christian missionaries doing their best to discredit Islam.

http://debate.org.uk/topics/coolcalm/slaves_in_islam.html

- This is a Christian website taht is set-up to "debate" with Muslims but a quick look at thewebsite and you will quickly understand what it really is about.

I would reiterate that it is better for you to learn about Islam from direct sources instead of engaging in discussions with scant knowledge on the subject or relying on the utterances of inept non-Muslims [on Islam] like JB.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Is it possible this is why Islam did not prohibit it outright?

It doesn't matter. Muslims, following Islam, practiced slavery as late as this past century. So regardless of what Islam intended, muslims thought it was A-Ok to enslave people.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Viking:

I would reiterate that it is better for you to learn about Islam from direct sources instead of engaging in discussions with scant knowledge on the subject or relying on the utterances of inept non-Muslims [on Islam] like JB.

Good Viking , Though you've tried hard to discredit the words of Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya you have fallen short in providing contrary words of another Islamic scholar ( direct source, as you call it ) that clarifies the Islamic stance regarding Slavery and furthermore states that Muhhamed (pbuh) never bought,sold or rented slaves , neither did you good Viking provide the TRUE words of Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya regarding his book "Zad al-Ma'ad " ( given that the book exists only in another language), specifically those refered pages be it in English or Arabic, unless you do that or prove the non-existance of a book by that name of that Author , your attempt fails regardless whose shelf the book "Zad al-Ma'ad" is laying on.

Good Viking this is everything but anti-Islamic, unless you regard every point of view that disagrees with your point of view anti-Islamic, please provide us with the TRUE account of the number and names of the slaves of Muhammed (pbuh), preferably from one of your " direct sources".

That something about Islam is not true becouse a Muslim scholar wrote about it, but it was brought forward by a non-Moslim is like saying the Pie tastes bad becouse i diden't make it. :D

Good Viking , unless you provide another account of Islamic slavery that alots Muhammad(pbuh) a role that is diffrent than an Owner, Seller and Renter, i , Salahh and anybody with a little or no knowledge about the Islamic account of Slavery will be having difficulties to beleive otherwise, The propensity to engage you in this is so irresistable,so deliver my good Viking.

Viking   

Originally posted by J B:

"Muhammad had many male and female slaves. He used to buy and sell them, but he purchased (more slaves) than he sold, especially after God empowered him by His message, as well as after his immigration from Mecca. He (once) sold one black slave for two. His name was Jacob al-Mudbir. His purchases of slaves were more (than he sold). He was used to renting out and hiring many slaves, but he hired more slaves than he rented out."

Here are the names of Mohammed (pbum)'s slaves.

Radwa,Yakan Abu Sharh, Aflah,Salma Um Rafi', 'Ubayd, Dhakwan, Tahman, Mirwan, Hunayn, Sanad, Fadala Yamamin, Anjasha al-Hadi,Rayhana, Mad'am, Karkara, Abu Rafi', Thawban, Ab Kabsha, Salih, Rabah,Khadra, Yara Nubyan, Fadila, Waqid, Mabur, Abu Waqid, Kasam, Abu 'Ayb,Maymuna daughter of Abu Asib,Razina, Abu Muwayhiba,Um Damira, Zayd Ibn Haritha,Maymuna daughter of Sa'd,Mary the Coptic, and also a black slave called Mahran, who was re-named (by Muhammad) Safina (`ship'),in addition to two other maid-slaves, one of them given to him as a present by his cousin, Zaynab, and the other one captured in a war.

JB,

This kind of things make evident your inept knowledge in Islam (and of those Orientalists whose sites you visit). I ignored adressing your post because it was basically rubbish! The Prophet bought a lot of slaves and he didn't sell them on, you know why? Because he bought them to free them! But the morons who are quoting ibn Qayyim won't tell you that because they have a sinister agenda. Those who stayed on with him were not living as slaves but were saved from bad treatement from their "masters".

The list above consists people whom you probably haven't heard; do you know who Zayd ibn Harithah and Maria the Copt were? Maria was his wife given to him as a gift. The Coptic leader of Egypt gave Maria as a gift, a slave, but the Prophet didn't own slaves and she became his wife. Did the Orientalists you read mention this?

Zayd was among the first five people to covert to Islam. he was also known as Zayd ibn Muhammad because he was the Prophet's adopted son. naturally, the sites you visit don't teach you this because it goes against their plans, but they know not that Allah is the best of planners!

Here is a bio of Zayd even available on Wikipedia.

One can punch holes in every single person mentionned on the list but you are not here to have a civilised discussion. You are here do discredit Islam and even if you are convinced beyond doubt with proofs, you will emerge in another thread with other "proofs" from your Orientalist or Christian missionary sources that you quote in ignorance and often out of context.

Happy GOOOOD JB? I guess not!

PS: Do you read ibn Qayyim or did you just go and copy "his words" from one of anti-Islamic sites I mentionned above? Did you go "directly to the source" as I suggested to Salahh? My advice to Salahh is stretched to you too, study Islam instead of using the lies spread by those who work against the great faith.

^^^Good advice @study Islam instead of using the lies spread by those who work against the great faith.

JB, intee ku niri sida isku dhaan adeer :D !

Originally posted by Viking:

JB,

The Prophet bought a lot of slaves and he didn't sell them on, you know why? Because he bought them to free them!

Viking,

I read several Sahih Ahadith to the contrary. Your double-edged reference, Maria, is one such example. Correct if I'm wrong but she wasn't freed prior to being married to the prophet, was she?

Johnny B   

Good viking, even i of all people can understand that a non-Moslim or an Orientalist (as you label some) with an ulterior motive might give an invalid account of Islam and slavery, Be that as it may, Naturally speaking my good Viking all you needed was to educate me ( and Salahh for that matter) and share that solid account of yours regarding Mohammed (pbuh) 's relation to slavery in general and his relation to the slaves he owned ( as you've affirmed) in particular, given that there is one and you were willing to share.

It really saddens me to know that you of all Nomads think that i'm here to discredit Islam with few rubbish quotes from an Orientalists, but it is more saddening to see that you've yet to deliver to me, Salahh and the world .

resorting to my intentions and depicting them as ill might help you blurr my point of contention but it never removes the question mark of why slavery mysteriously survived in Islam and why Muhammad (pbuh) owned slaves, whose names i don't have to have heard of to grant them their intrinsic human value, namely their dignity, that they were human beeings should be more than enough for any self-respecting one .

For the last time good Viking , that Muhammad(pbuh) bought slaves have you agreed with me ( though you mentioned the sole purpose behind it beeing to FREE them) , but disprove to us that he sold or rented slaves and as a result forbad his wives , relatives and followers to enslave and own a human beeing .

Good Viking, don't disappoint us and resort to stating the obvious, that there are people on this earth who don't beleive in Islam for different reasons is and should not be the mere reason as to why Islam is the only correct path , to be the only correct path Islam should show why and do it crystally clear. no?

With that , i'm trying to say , the Issue is not about those who don't beleive in Islam , at issue is human rights in Islam , hence the Islamic account of slavery.

Atheer Xiin, is there anyway better than to study the very ones who beleive in it?

Viking   

Socod_badne,

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

I read several Sahih Ahadith to the contrary. Your double-edged reference, Maria, is one such example. Correct if I'm wrong but she wasn't
freed
prior to being married to the prophet, was she?

Some people claim that she was a "concubine" but that is just rubbish. Those who lie about her are indeed the ABTHAR. Here's a bit about Maria Al-Qibtiyya.

JB,

Good viking, even i of all people can understand that a non-Moslim or an Orientalist (as you label some) with an ulterior motive might give an invalid account of Islam and slavery, Be that as it may, Naturally speaking my good Viking all you needed was to educate me ( and Salahh for that matter) and share that solid account of yours regarding Mohammed (pbuh) 's relation to slavery in general and his relation to the slaves he owned ( as you've affirmed) in particular, given that there is one and you were willing to share.

JB,

What you posted was gotten from anti-Islamic sources, are you going to formally admit it (you seem to be evading this issue)? Once you admit where you got it from (since it is evident you didn't get it directly from ibn Qayyim's book) only then can your motives be evident for everyone. Orientalists always gave negative accounts of Islam and the work you quoted is actually being spread by Christian missionaries who wish to promote their faith by discrediting islam as some sort of barbaric alien faith (the same thing Orientalists of the past like Dante, Flaubert, d'Herbelot et al.).

What is puzzling is why the heck a Somali bloke from Sverige would be getting "info" from these people. Do you want to know what islam says aboaut slavery? Open the Qur'an and you'll see verse after verse talking about how people should be treated and even asking Muslims of the 7th Century to marry their slaves. Do you want to know how Prophet Muhammad SAW lived? Open one of his many biographies out there and find out first hand.

You don't do any of this; you go and get some false and misrepresented "facts" from a Muslim scholar and post it as "your evidence" that the Noble Prophet himself owned slaves (basically saying that slavery is condoned in Islam which is not true).

My job is not to educate you brother, you are a grown man who is literate and if you want to learn anything all you need to do is open a book and VOILA!

It really saddens me to know that you of all Nomads think that i'm here to discredit Islam with few rubbish quotes from an Orientalists, but it is more saddening to see that you've yet to deliver to me, Salahh and the world .

If you are not out to discredit Islam, why then would you get your info from such horrid sites without even checking out what you are saying? If you are not well read in Islam, why then do you constantly debate about Islam? You couldn't even tell who Zayd ibn Harithat and all the others are on that list of yours yet youare READY to claim that the Prophet was dealt slaves and crying crocodile tears for the poor souls (who you thought were slaves out of ignorance).

There is nothing to deliver! You made an accusation based on what Christian missionaries are claiming to be "evwithout even checking it. The difference is that the Christian missionaries are adressing their people who know almost nothing about Islam but you are presenting these "facts" to Muslims. As I said, there is nothing to deliver...Let us start with Zayd, you tell me how he was a slave, you are the one making the accusation so the burden of proof is on you.

resorting to my intentions and depicting them as ill might help you blurr my point of contention but it never removes the question mark of why slavery mysteriously survived in Islam and why Muhammad (pbuh) owned slaves, whose names i don't have to have heard of to grant them their intrinsic human value, namely their dignity, that they were human beeings should be more than enough for any self-respecting one .

If you haven't heard any of those names then obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. Why would anyone bother? Your intentions are known to you and Allah, that is not my concern. My concern (and evryone lese's) is your actions here on SOL, the lies you spread (about the Prophet) while ignorant about the people who you call the Prophet's slave.

Slavery NEVER "mysteriously survived in Islam" but some Muslims still practised it. Know the difference, Islam is the faith, Muslims are the people.

What "dignity" and "intrinsic value" are you talking about? I'm telling you these people were not slaves of the Prophet. One was married to him, another was his adopted son whom he loved and cherished. If you are really keen I could take my time and write something about every single person on that list. But would this convince you? By the looks of it, no, because you already posted lies and you are here fighting for your lies although futile.

For the last time good Viking , that Muhammad(pbuh) bought slaves have you agreed with me ( though you mentioned the sole purpose behind it beeing to FREE them) , but disprove to us that he sold or rented slaves and as a result forbad his wives , relatives and followers to enslave and own a human beeing .

You are making the accusations here with material that has been manipulated by Orientlists and Christian missionaries. You don't know much about Islam yet you ready to vehemently defend lies. If you want to know about the character of the Prophet and his relationship to the people you call "slaves" then pick up any of the well known Seerahs books around and learn!

With that , i'm trying to say , the Issue is not about those who don't beleive in Islam , at issue is human rights in Islam , hence the Islamic account of slavery.

The issue is where do you get the "facts" that you post and use as your argument. If you read direct from ibn Qayyim then you wouldn't be saying the same thing, you would have understood it as it really was.

The Qur'an, Hadith and Seerah is out there for scrutiny by all. If you find a hadith saying that the Prophet practised slavery and mistreated any human beings then please produce it.

Islam forbids alcohol but some Muslims drink, but this does not mean that Islam condones it. Therefore Muslims might have dealt with slaves and mistreated them long after the Prophet, that doesn't mean the Prophet or Islam is responsible for their actions.

Johnny B   

Good Viking, normally one would flag for re-iterating the same point on n on , actually some would get exhausted and flag for comprehension but i know my good Viking better so here i'm whining again.

as i told you earlier the propensity to engage you in this is so irresistable, so i'd like you to deliver my good Viking,

In my post i quoted the book "Zad al-Ma'ad" (Part I, p. 160), (part 1, pp. 114, 115, and 116), now , my knowledge about Islam no matter how futile,weather i own the book or which sites use that book is of little or no importance to the point of contention here, it is a sidekick if u like.

And yes, there are things to deliver my good Viking, either you disagree with what i've presented and provide us with the correct, exact words of Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya in his book "Zad al-Ma'ad" preferably from the reffered pages (Part I, p. 160), (part 1, pp. 114, 115, and 116) irrespective of language or you could claim and preferably prove the non-existance of that book altogether, but that there're Christians, Orientalists and what not who are non-Moslims won't get you off the hook,we all know that the record of Christianity on this question has been hardly any better if not worse, given that you're intrested in discussing the human rights in Islam in general and the Islamic account of Slavery in particular .

As you've agreed, Muslims practiced slavery both during Muhammad (pbuh )'s liftime and centuries after his death, and that is definitely why the traces of Slavery untill today lingers in the Muslim world, specefically in Arabia where it enshrined what the believers of Islam considered to be an eternal principle.

Since you haven't found any name in the list of Muhammad( pbuh )'s slaves that doesen't belong there , but claimed his sole purpose of buying the slaves or accepting them as gifts was to set them free, you leave me with no choice but to accept the fact that these human beeings actually were slaves he bought or accepted them as gifts , sold or gave them away as gifts both during and after he was empowered by "the message", that per se speaks volumes of its own and would make me or any sinsible human beeing not only shed crocodile tears but cry a river.

Good Viking, I find it very hard to belive that you diden't encounter in the Quran the Islamic stance of "the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female", For the humble questioning eye the mere mention of these three categories quite casually indicates that slavery was an accepted category in Islam along with the other two categories as an acceptable state for a human being and for a Muslim ( a slave one ). ;)

At issue is HUMAN RIGHTS IN ISLAM.

Viking   

Good Viking, normally one would flag for re-iterating the same point on n on , actually some would get exhausted and flag for comprehension but i know my good Viking better so here i'm whining again.

as i told you earlier the propensity to engage you in this is so irresistable, so i'd like you to deliver my good Viking,

I repeat myself because you don't seem to have grasped what I've been saying all along. You take misinterpreted words from Orientalists and then challenge me to counter it? Don't you see the absurdity in this? Are you arguing and educative point of view or merely trying to use the same weapons as them?

In my post i quoted the book "Zad al-Ma'ad" (Part I, p. 160), (part 1, pp. 114, 115, and 116), now , my knowledge about Islam no matter how futile,weather i own the book or which sites use that book is of little or no importance to the point of contention here, it is a sidekick if u like.

Perhaps this will be of help (someone adressing the missionaries misquoting ibn Qayyim...

4. Slavery Islam and the Bible:

The author claims that “the Bible condemns slavery†and “one who practices slavery contradicts right teachings.†In order to prove his point he even adds “the slave traders†in 1Timothy 1:10. There is no such word there in the Revised Standard Version. Actually in the whole Bible this word does not exist. The author also makes false allegation against Prophet Muhammad -peace be upon him- by saying that he used to buy, sell, hire and rent slaves.

Slavery existed throughout the Biblical period including the time of Jesus -peace be upon him. Most of the Biblical Prophets had slaves, both males and females. Perhaps the author of this flyer did not read his own New Testament. Otherwise he would have found there the following advices to salves: “Let all who are under the yoke of slavery regard their masters as worthy of all honor, so that the name of God and the teaching may not be defamed.†(1 Timothy 6:1) and “Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory … (Titus 2:9)

Prophet Muhammad - peace be upon him - did not own slaves. He had many slaves purchased and freed. The author quotes Muslim scholar Ibn al-Qayyim who said about the Prophet, “His purchases of slaves were more then he sold.†This is correct because he used to purchase slaves in order to free them, not to sell them.

However, the author mistranslates Ibn al-Qayyim when he says, “The Prophet use to renting out and hiring many slaves, but he hired more slaves then he rented out.†The author has mischievously added the words “many slaves and more slaves†in the text. Ibn al-Qayyim is not talking here about the sale, purchase, renting and hiring of slaves, but about general business practices of the Prophet before he received the Prophethood. Actually he is saying that “the Prophet himself was hired before he became the Prophet to take care of some sheep and he was hired by Khadijah to do business for her. (see Zad al-Ma’ad, vol. 1, p. 154)

The Qur’an teaches that freeing the salves is a great virtue (See Surah 90:13). One of the expenditures of Zakat (obligatory charity) is to spend the money for the freedom of the slaves (Surah 9:60). It is forbidden in Islam to enslave a free person. If Muslims had consistently followed the Islamic teachings in this regard, slavery would have become extinct long time ago. It is unfortunate that some Muslims did not follow these teachings of Islam and slavery continued in Muslim lands for centuries. We are ashamed that some Muslims practiced slavery against the teachings of Islam. However, it is also a historical fact that for centuries the worst type of slavery in its most extensive and horrible form was practiced by those who claimed themselves to be the followers of Christ. They enslaved millions of free men, women and children and shipped them like animals from one continent to another. They made millions in profit by this most shameful trade of human beings.

I wish to remind the author of this flyer what Jesus -peace be upon him- said, “Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, `Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.†(Matthew 7:3-5)

Source

As you've agreed, Muslims practiced slavery both during Muhammad (pbuh )'s liftime and centuries after his death, and that is definitely why the traces of Slavery untill today lingers in the Muslim world, specefically in Arabia where it enshrined what the believers of Islam considered to be an eternal principle.

All I did was to point out to you that what Muslims do is not the same as what Islam says, some people don't seem to grasp this. There were Muslims who killed during the Prophet's time and after but this does not mean taht it is condoned by Islam. You are the one who is calling it "an eternal principle", it is what you want to make it out to be, just keep taht in mind.

Since you haven't found any name in the list of Muhammad( pbuh )'s slaves that doesen't belong there , but claimed his sole purpose of buying the slaves or accepting them as gifts was to set them free, you leave me with no choice but to accept the fact that these human beeings actually were slaves he bought or accepted them as gifts , sold or gave them away as gifts both during and after he was empowered by "the message", that per se speaks volumes of its own and would make me or any sinsible human beeing not only shed crocodile tears but cry a river.

I pointed out two name right on the outset, one of his adopted son and another of his wife (Zayd and Maria RA). Did you miss it? I can see that you are trying to employ sophistry, good luck mate!

Good Viking, I find it very hard to belive that you diden't encounter in the Quran the Islamic stance of "the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female", For the humble questioning eye the mere mention of these three categories quite casually indicates that slavery was an accepted category in Islam along with the other two categories as an acceptable state for a human being and for a Muslim ( a slave one ).

If you are aware of ANY verses which say that a free man should not marry a slave woman then be a sport and present it instead of being all hazy about it. Here are some verses that deal with marrying and freeing of slaves.

If any of you have not the means wherewith to wed free believing women, they may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands possess: And Allah hath full knowledge about your faith. Ye are one from another: Wed them with the leave of their owners, and give them their dowers, according to what is reasonable: They should be chaste, not lustful, nor taking paramours: when they are taken in wedlock, if they fall into shame, their punishment is half that for free women. This (permission) is for those among you who fear sin; but it is better for you that ye practise self-restraint. And Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. (4:25)

And if any of your slaves ask for a deed in writing (to enable them to earn their freedom for a certain sum), give them such a deed if you know any good in them; yes, give them something yourselves out of the means which Allah has given to you. (24:33)

Do not marry unbelieving women until they believe. A slave woman who believes is better than an unbelieving woman, even though she allures you.... Unbelievers beckon you to the Fire. But Allah beckons by His Grace to the garden of bliss and forgiveness. And He makes His signs clear to mankind, that they may receive admonition" (Qur'an 2:221).

It is not righteousness that you turn your faces toward East or West; but it is righteousness . . . to spend of your substance . . . for the ransom of slaves. (2:177)

Never should a Believer kill a Believer; but (if it so happens) by mistake, (compensation is due): if one (so) kills a Believer, it is ordained that he should free a believing slave, and pay compensation to the deceased's family . . . For those who find this beyond their means, (is prescribed) a fast for two months running: by way of repentance to Allah. (4:92)

Allah will not call you to account for what is futile in your oaths, but will call you to account for your deliberate oaths: for expiation, feed ten indigent persons . . . or clothe them; or give a slave his freedom. If that is beyond your means, fast for three days. (5:89)