Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

WHY?

1. Why is the Sky blue?

2.Where do babies come from?

We all have heard of these questions firsthand or know that they exist. Children are famous mainly for thier habit of asking endless questions--morning, day and night. Some are funny, some incredibly hard to explain, and others just plain silly.

They want to know the reasons for A and the cause of B. They sometimes, surprisingly, ask questions we have never thought of ourselves! smile.gif

This is how children gain knowledge--at home asking questions and recieving answers to them. The home is the first school for a child. Thats how they learn about their history, culture, language, family, religion, and basically the world around them.

Thus, one would think that parents should answer their child's every question with patience. After all---arent they told that no question is dumb? Arent they constantly reminded that of the somali mah mah " *qof xishood ka batey iyo qof kibir ka batey...labadaba wax ma bartaan*?

I have personally found out thorough my and my friends' experiences that this is not so! Especially when it comes to sensitive questions regarding Islam.

When I was younger (5-10) I had so many questions about Islam. I attended a private elementary muslim school where we had an Islamic Studies Class as part of the curiculum . Reading those books I would have so many topics to think about, wonder, and question.

Questions that kept me awake at night..but was too afriad to ask.

These are some of the questions I had when I was 5-10 years old. (<----Dont look at me like that! I know I'm not the only one who had them! REMEMBER I WAS YOUNG icon_razz.gif )

1. If Allah is neither male nor female..why do we refer to him as "HE"? Why cant we call him "She" or "IT" for that matter?

2. Why are there no black prophets mentioned?

3. Why didnt Allah allow women prophets to exist?

4. Why are there more women in hell then men? Why did Allah love men more than women?

5. Etc. Etc. Et.c (A lot more...some Im still thinking about! <---but not at that level!)

A child is not a miniture adult! Why do grownups forget that they were children once?

I think thats legitimate questions for a child to ask? How else are they supposed to learn? Islam is not programmed into our genes from birth...Its a life-long learning process ..we learn..practice...and learn some more in an unending cycle.

Isnt it the right and responsibiity of a muslim to learn about their religion? Didnt the prophet (S.C.W.) say Seek knowledge---even if you have to go to CHINA?

Why are children (who geniuly want to know the answers to these questions---WHICH THEY DO NOT KNOW!) made to feel embarassed or naughty?

When I had these type of questions to my teachers or family either I was:

1. Ignored and told Allah knows best (YES! but ALlah also said that there was a reason for everything...and I want to know WHY! I dont want to use my imagination or come up with my own answers!)

2. Told that too much questions was the sign of shaytaan trying to lead me astray and weaken my IMAN.

3. Told I dont know (I accepted that...If they didnt know..I moved on...didnt want their opinions.)

4. Asked why I was question Allah's decision (Are you trying to say that Allah has made a mistake?) <---- N0! Why is my FAITH or INTENTION being put into question..I had a question...PLEASE ANSWER OR ZIP IT!

It got to the point that I was embarassed about asking sensitve questions about Islam, inc. sex (which I learned, more than I cared to know..from FRIENDS :rolleyes: icon_razz.gif )

WHY ARE CHILDREN BEING PUNISHED FOR BEING IGNORANT AND WANTING TO UNDERSTAND? WHY ARE THEY NOT TAKEN SERIOULSY?

I have talked to alot of my frineds about this and they felt the same way and had similar experiences....We generally taught ourselves..from books,surfing the net, or just talking to each other.

Its really sad walahi.

P.S. A child is just like a new convert to Islam or a non-muslim! Thats the type of questions that they would ask from the start. How is one supposed to answer them if they DIDNT GET SATISFACTORY ANSWERS THEMSELVES!

This is not just a personal problem...but one that could affect our ummah as a whole.

Nice topic FF.

Walahi I had those questions (and some others) too when I was young and I was embarassed about asking them.

And as I got older I thought about asking the Imam at our local Masjid...he had a question and answer session on fridays after the maqrib prayer. But I was too shy---the thought of asking a sensitive question in front of a room full of sisters intimidated me so I never did.

Like yourself...I mostly read, visited islamic websites (Ex. Ask a Scholar) or just asked my friends and hoped that they knew.

I dont know. Some people just believe its CEEB to ask these type of questions. They question your faith or intention---not realizing that you honesty do not know the answer.

It is sad...and it happens alot.

Islam is not programmed into our genes from birth...Its a life-long learning process ..we learn..practice...and learn some more in an unending cycle.

Very true. Well put.

Assalamu Alaikum

I think that the main reason is that the parents themselves do not know the answers to some of the questions and also they find it difficult to give answers to their children---because they know that they will not like it (Ex. "thats not fair" <---try to convice a little kid when their mind is already made up).

And also its cultural too---a lot of parents do not feel comfortable discussing some topics with their children.

Femme Fatale,

I think those questions are an evil-inspired Questions, so don't complicate your little mind. Believe in Allah, and do what you're told to do as part of the obligations imposed on you, and then leave the rest blank. That is all.

Islam is a religion of reason and for pure rationality (fitrah), but bad reasoning are part of the sheytanic plot to complicate the mindset of the humans towards his Creator.

Do you understand my Dhibic?

I think those questions are an
evil-
inspired Questions, so don't complicate your
little mind

Im really insulted and offended by that. Did you even bother to take 2 mins to read all I have said before you jumped to conclusions? I bet not. :rolleyes:

I said I was 5-10 years old.

Alle-

If the questioned asked are evil inspired can u plz elaborate further for the benefit of the rest of us? :cool:

Can u also elaborate as to exactly how u assertained that FF had a little mind? :cool:

FF

I think most nomads would say those are questions that would have gone through there mind as they were going through that age range, possibly even at an older age.

Actually your are supposed to seek knowledge, to ask questions to find answers. This are the ways you will increase your Imaan.

Its like praying, your concentration during salah would be dramatically increased if you could understand the meaning of the Surah and Ayat your reading.

So the same is true here. But in any case as an Adolesent your not not accountable for your actions from the point of the deen, so there is no need really for another storm in a tea cupp incident.

Thus, one would think that parents should answer their child's every question with patience. After all---arent they told that no question is dumb? Arent they constantly reminded that of the somali mah mah " *qof xishood ka batey iyo qof kibir ka batey...labadaba wax ma bartaan*?

If I reckon aright, the adage you have utilized has its origin in Arabic, المتكبر والمستحي لا يتعلمان.Some parents, dare I say most, are, truth be told, atrociously ignorant of their religon. Hence, when a child of seven, for instance, queries as to the nature of the Natural Laws, the parent, bemused and bewildered, ignores, or worse yet, discourages the child from pursuing this natural enquiry. It is a shame of colossal porportions, indeed!

My father had once said " there is no such thing as a silly question; if it can be asked, then it is a good question ". Naturally, I bombarded him with many a philosophical query to which he replied " Do you know what I said about there being no such thing as silly questions, well umm...." In retrospect, I find his reply quite humorous.

These are some of the questions I had when I was 5-10 years old. (<----Dont look at me like that! I know I'm not the only one who had them! REMEMBER I WAS YOUNG

Unless one is unfortuitously entrapped in a labrynith of arrested development or a maze of mental stagnation, it is ineluctable that one query till one become, as it were, replete of answers.

1. If Allah is neither male nor female..why do we refer to him as "HE"? Why cant we call him "She" or "IT" for that matter?

4. Why are there more women in hell then men? Why did Allah love men more than women?

5. Etc. Etc. Et.c (A lot more...some Im still thinking about! <---but not at that level!)

The queries, above-quoted, are all genuine, Fair Femme Fatale. If one has but an iota of islamic illumination, then one can, quite easily, answer the above questions to the satisfaction of the enquirer. Alas, ignorance has become our eyes; indifference, our ears. Thusly, ye ears must be battered, so ye eyes may learn to hear!

I think thats legitimate questions for a child to ask? How else are they supposed to learn? Islam is not programmed into our genes from birth...Its a life-long learning process ..we learn..practice...and learn some more in an unending cycle.

Hear! Hear! Those queries you have brought-forth are natural for a child to ask; nay, it is equally natural if queried by he who is not in his salad days (childhood). If that be not the case, then woe is us, for we are save machines.

Why are children (who geniuly want to know the answers to these questions---WHICH THEY DO NOT KNOW!) made to feel embarassed or naughty?

Children recieve this treatment because thier Guardians are forever traversing the absymal valleys of ignorance. They apprehend not their religon and as such are dismal and blind. Indeed, embarrassed and naughty are not the children, but they!

Isnt it the right and responsibiity of a muslim to learn about their religion? Didnt the prophet (S.C.W.) say Seek knowledge---even if you have to go to CHINA?

The authenticity of that particualar hadith, according to the collectors and narrators of traditons, is not indubitable. Be that as it may, there are many verses in the Quran and authentic traditions, that prove, without a shred of doubt, the laudabilty, nay, the necessity of Knowledge.

P.S. A child is just like a new convert to Islam or a non-muslim! Thats the type of questions that they would ask from the start. How is one supposed to answer them if they DIDNT GET SATISFACTORY ANSWERS THEMSELVES!

There is a well known hadith in "Saheeh Muslim", which explicitly states that a child's default state is in accordance with the "Divine", the principles of Islam. This hadith, of course, has many doctrinal implications of which I shan't discuss herein.

You see, Fair Femme Fatale, that which diffrentiates Islam from other worldly religions is that Islam affords the enquirer answers of astounding adequacy, whereas other belief systems, instead of providing the enquirer with answers of relief(answers to doctrinal queries), make the person laden with grief. It is most unfortunate that many adults who are professedly muslims breathe the dust that is dogmatism and swim in the smudge that is ignorance.

To rephrase Hagar, the protagonist in Laurence's Book, The Stone Angel , Dogmatism is their wilderness and the demon that led them there was Ignorance!

هل يستوي الذين يعلمون والذين لا يعلمون؟ انما يتذكر

اولوا الالباب

P.S. Perhaps you ought to read The Alchemy of Happiness or in arabic كيمياء السعادة by Imam Al-Ghazali. Therein he delinates the manner in which knowledge can facilitate the acquirement of Happiness or what Aristotle called Eudomania .

^^^ smile.gif

My father had once said " there is no such thing as a silly question; if it can be asked, then it is a good question ". Naturally, I bombarded him with many a philosophical query to which he replied " Do you know what I said about there being no such thing as silly questions, well umm...." In retrospect, I find his reply quite humorous.

:D Had a similar experience. Mother regretted that she uttered those words!

Those queries you have brought-forth are natural for a child to ask; nay, it is equally natural if queried by he who is not in his salad days (childhood). If that be not the case, then woe is us, for we are save machines

True. I still have countless unanswered questions swimming in my head...but the ones I listed where from when I was much younger (BTW I did eventually get the answers to those from a wonderful aunt and my mother.)

This reminds me of a story my mother used to tell me: (Im horrible at retelling stories--terrible memory..so this is just an outline)

There once was a very old man in his eighties. HE wanted to learn to read the Quran but thought it was too late at this stage of his life. One day as he was getting water from a nearby well...he noticed how the rope attached to the bucket cut into the stone. HE thought to himself---if a stone can be transformed by a rope then an old mind can still learn. He put aside his pride and sat alongside 5-6 year olds and started to learn reading and writing the quran from scratch. For his efforts, he became one of the most learned man of his time regarding the memorization and tasfiir of the quran. Mashallah.

Our questions cease when we die...then WE are the ones who are asked the questions. :D

Lets just hope that we are ready and prepared...

Taqwa   

Our questions cease when we die...then WE are the ones who are asked the questions.

Beautifully Said, I would answer your questions but I'll come back for it.

==================================================

5. Etc. Etc. Et.c (A lot more...some Im still thinking about! <---but not at that level!

1. Walaal the English language is deficient in finding a better word to address Allah with a genderless name. So you use his 99 names to address him. That is why Allah (swt) has chosen the arabic language to convey Islam.

2. Femme lets say that there was a black prophet mentioned, would you be any less a better Muslim or for that matter less obedient. Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) would talk about equality under Islam for there is no Rank, Color and Race in Islam; all are equal in the presence of God. Ilahay ba oog, if some Prophets where darker then others in those days.

3. Walaal lets look at this from a social perspective without touching the religious aspect. Lets go back to the period when Arabs/Non Arabs where in Jahiliyah (Ignorance) and they buried their daughters because they held no status but shame. Imagine if Allah (swt) sent female prophets to acquaint mankind with Islam. What would the reaction of people be? She would either be called a witch or admonished. Example would be Mariam (Blessings be on her), if it wasn't for prophet Isa talking in birth would she not be labeled an Adulteress by her community. Istakfurallah. For that reason, Allah the magnificent takes into account everything about human beings and makes the utmost perfect decisions for us, whether we see it fit or not.

4. Rasul (pbuh), said that women gossip more then man and that lead more females in Hell then their counterparts. This Hadith gives two things; (1) advice and also a (2)fact . Advice would be don’t gossip unless you want to reserve a spot in Jahanum and Fact is that gossip amongst women is not rare.

As for Alle-Ubaahne, I think what he was trying to convey to you is something innumerable scholars have stressed and it is not to fall into doubtful matters that may question your Imaan. As for asking question for the sheer purpose to learn, there is always a red carpet for it.

Kind Regards,

Viking   

In my teen years I came across a Chinese saying that somwhat changed me. It says something like... "He who asks is a fool for five minutes and he who doesn't is a fool forever". I have been a fool for a many five minutes and don't hesitate to ask questions.

I remember asking as a kid how a tv worked; how it was possible to actually visualise images and how they were able to get transmitted through the wires. The explanation of anodes and cathodes didn't make sense to a kid my age but I was lucky to have people who I could ask anything.

Alle-Ubaahne,

You sound like the Christian clergy-men of Europe in the middle-ages with your response; they thought that an inquisitive mind was the playground of the devil.

Dear brother Silence Jazakaallah Khayran for your time and patience and for taking me seriously. I should have known you when I was younger....thank you very much.

But...Those were examples of questions I had when I was 5-10 years old. And I believe everyone has these kind of questions when they are first learning about Islam. I dont have them anymore (Alhamdulliah)...but I appreciate you answering them in such a kind and respectful manner.

May Allah bless you brother. smile.gif (If I do have any other questions maybe I should refer to you :D )

The purpose of the thread was: Why arent kids given those kind of answers instead of being ignored or made to feel bad for asking?

Vicking: I read that saying somewhere...and always liked it. Stayed with me.

--------

Anyone After this point: Please read everything I have said before you comment. To lessen the misunderstandings going on. :D

Viking wrote,

Alle-Ubaahne,

You sound like the Christian clergy-men of Europe in the middle-ages with your response; they thought that an inquisitive mind was the playground of the devil.

Saaxiib hadana ma waxaan iskugu yeereynaa magacyadii gaalada iyo kuwii ugu danbiga badnaa! Subxaanalaah, ilaah ayaan ka magan galay waxa aad ila rabtid inaan noqdo. FF aniga kuma sheegin wax xun, laakiin sideedaba sheydaanka waa naloo sheegay inuu dadka ku shaqeysto oo xitaa ka hadlisiiyo, marmarna qalbigooda kusoo rido waxyaabo xun xun.

Viking, Waxaan u maleynayaa diintaadii baa ka aradantahay ee ilaah haku soo hanuuniyo wadada toosan, aamiin.

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

[QB] Femme Fatale,

Islam is a religion of reason and for pure rationality (fitrah), but bad reasoning are part of the sheytanic plot to complicate the mindset of the humans towards his Creator

What a contradictory answer!!!..This is why the questions like the ones that FF had asked are not supposed to be answered by Those who do not know!!!

Bad reasoning??? First;Reasoning is not questioning!!! Second; obviously the person answering the question is the one that should avoid the bad reasoning?? and hence should say " I do not know but lets ask someone knowledgable"

Salaamaat

FF

I never has such trouble and all success lies with Allah Tabaaraka wa tacala. I was always fortune enough to have someone there, who to the best of their knowledge tried to answer my questions.

But be that as it may, always keep in mind the saying of our Beloved Messenger (sallalahu Alayhi wa salam) (“Saying ….I DO NOT KNOW…. is half the Knowledgeâ€)

You can not honestly believe that all parents know the Deen Of Al Islam !!!!