Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Metamorphosis: Changing the thinking of the “Somali intellectual�

Sophist   

Metamorphosis: Changing the thinking of the “Somali intellectualâ€

Every great discover in history of ideas has had some private and persistent muse luring his sober reflections into more daring speculations than the ordinary run of mankind who just goes around for his daily rituals. This has been channelled through the annals of history. Thinking radically and rigorously is what brings-forth fruitful results. That philosophical adage 'Always un-reasonable men adopt the world to themselves, where reasonable men adopt themselves to the world, thus unreasonable men are those who change the world is a touching saying, a saying that engulfs my mind with cold breeze whenever I contemplate the affairs of Somalis and more importantly the Somali ‘Intellectuals’ who in this case pretend to be reasonable and stay out of the way of Somali affairs, whereas the pathologically power hungry are shaping and adopting Somalia to their whim.

For number of years, (endeavoured firstly writing 1999, but observation and reading goes a bit further) I have carried on researching and writing on contemporary Somali affairs. After many capsizing, on which occasions I always looked for the source of my error or merely tried to get some insight in the nature of my many but light blunders, I have finally reached (How can I be so sure?) the point where I feel secure in my understanding of this precarious matter. In this modest piece, I shall look at the importance of enlightenment (perhaps the political philosophy or history students would be puzzled with the word in relation with the Somalis. I am merely using it is sheer conceptual meaning, and as the Essay progresses one will have the full understanding of what I intend to do- perhaps that is not a very good way to start a paper then again

it would compel the reader to finish the paper in order to get the flavour of my inimitable idea) as a driving force in bringing about the revival of our long lost state- a very ambitious task which many well celebrated world class scholars made them shy away from it because of its venomous nature; I shan’t be weary about it since I have no name to cocoon. I am no scholar but a mere novice who is new to these scholarly topics-.

Illumination

Illumination is man's release from his self-incurred tutelage. Tutelage is man's in-ability to make use of his understanding without direction from another. Self-incurred is this tutelage when its cause lies not in the lack of knowledge but in a lack of resolution and

courage to use it without direction from another. Courage is the driving force of the illuminated (the progressive) man. In contrast to courage, laziness and cowardice are the seeds that poison our Somali 'Intellectuals'. Remaining in the rooms that they had first been shown how to write; what a stagnation. After harsh nature has long since charged them from internal direction (though these academics, mostly lecture at universities that encourages Socratic dialogue 'perhaps not, since most State Universities in America do not exercise this method of teaching' they seem not to reflect on the issues they write about but merely follow blindly what other men had written. Some of them go their way by saying that; where Somali studies are concerned “The retired Professor is the Textâ€); nevertheless, they themselves paradoxically enough maintain life long tutelage. Why do the supposedly illuminated men remain in this dark room? Is it because they aren't really scholars per se or do they fear that if they write cutting edge ideas it won’t make to the publishers desk?. These are some of the puzzling conundrums that young fresh thinking minds of Somali Social Thinkers grabble with.

If I have a book that understands for me, a Sheik who has a conscious for me, a doctor who decides my diet, a house that is free of charge and so forth, I need not to think, reflect, not to watch what I eat and indeed not to work to pay my rent (as I was writing this, the stereotype of freeloading Somalis in Europe came to mind, oh well such is rather exaggeration; or so I hope) If I can some how make others readily undertake this irksome work for me I would live like a baby whose needs had been satisfied by his parents or guardians. Of course, this is not the case as we these chaps adorn themselves with academic titles which of course indicate illumination and knowledge. Now If knowledge is tool or means to an end then the only way one can distinguish good intellectual from bad one is to evaluate not only the extent to which one commands the subject matter of particular topic but more importantly the end in which the acquired knowledge is being used. And in so far Somali intellectual tradition is concerned both areas have poor records. In other words, if we studied something it has been the wrong subject and if we studied the right subject, say political development, we used it in counterproductive way (either helping the "beloved clan" or improving ones chances of robbing the state) This is where my comments can be best understood. Why then Tribalism of all things? Why power and it’s glory? More importantly why the continual stagnation of these good professors? First let us look at Tribalism.

Tribalism

An onion of all things will efficiently explain the Somali syndrome. This really says a lot about not only our mental faculties but also indeed our cultural structure. We (my family and I in 1991) fled from our most cherished place on earth to seek shelter in place that gloom and despondence was the norm, where people were quarter friendlier than in Mogadishu. Where you couldn't get water because people don’t know you—Kismayo iyo Kistaa!!. That was the very city that promised shelter from the bedlam and the carnage of Mogadishu had become. But to my astonishment, the same city had its share of chaos. People first exchanging harangues that were based upon clannish; after the harangues proved to be futile for the parties concerned, they turned to their only method of solving their difference- taking weapons and start killing each other. Naturally, as young boy, bewildered by the blood feuds of his fellow countrymen, I took the time to enquire as to why we are in this dire predicament as society. Why after fleeing from my home city and coming to this supposedly safe heaven are we now preparing another voyage to a country that we had little in common with. My father, who I dearly admire, his quick wit and influenced me greatly was the appropriate person to put me out

of this overwhelming misery.

I asked naively my father who has responded my cry with a careful tone, why did we flee from Mogadishu and why are we preparing another run? He sat me down and asked my beloved younger brother to fetch an onion and since onions were normally kept in the kitchen and boys were not suppose to go into it, it took him time to deliver to us—a time that seemed days for anticipation involves far enacting than delivery. When the onion was brought back by my attentive little brother, my father started to talk with his deep but gentle voice. My son, this is an onion, started my sagacious father. Perplexed, I have forsaken the voices that came to mind and tried with some victory to concentrate what my father was about to say.

He continued to say, as you can see this onion has many layers. I nodded sheepishly, anticipating conscientiously what is about to unfold. He took the first layer off, and then the second and the third until we were left with one layer. Son, this is a classic example of what tribalism is. Take *********** , for example. First you have the first layer, that represents *********** , the second represents Maxamuud Garaadthe Third layer Ugaadhyahan, , the fourth Nalaye Ahmed. And it goes on. The one before last represents the family of your father who have (another example) two wives, the last layer would be Your Bah.

Time has passed since I had that fatherly conversation with my dad, and naturally lots of things happened due the course of time. People from Mogadishu who were from same tribe maimed each other, so as people from kismayo, Hargeisa-Burao.

Question one has to ask, is really tribalism the force that drives the Somali politics? I shall answer this question in detail in my forthcoming article; Tribalism: Eternal Force or Mechanism for Power?

What they ought to do—the Intellectual Somalis?

â€Writing about Somali Politics, to speculate a moment, is like a plowing the sea, for writing requires, at minima some coherent pattern in the subject written about, the Somali Politics, like the Somali character in general, has no coherence or logical pattern; but only opportunistic contingency, a century and half ago Sir Richard Burton, after observing the Somali society for months with his keen eye said “The Somali is consistent with inconsistence†Professor Samatar- Rudgers University, New Jersey.

Though the above ostensible analysis may sound plausible to many, a careful examination proves its shoddy strength mainly the later part of its substantiation. The illustrious professor of Rutgers asserts a premise and then substantiates with what ancient British improvident wonderer wrote about Somalis about a century and half ago.

We shall require a considerably new manner of thinking and approach

towards Somali studies if the Somali phenomena to be understood. And this would first be to take the right steps reclaim ownership of Somali Studies. The primitive and under classed societies are those who have foreign writers to be authority on their culture. This of course does not mean to discredit None-Somali academics who laboured decades to advance Somali studies, but merely to show appreciation of what they have done for us and also to demonstrate our ability as nation that we can henceforth take the flagship of Somali studies. I am in not in the business of dishonouring respectable world renowned academics who not only contributed vastly to writing our history and nature but indeed shaped what has become known as Somali Studies.

Upon establishing the first task, the Somali intellectuals then has to see them-selves the carriers of Somali burden. The Somali Intellectuals that are engaged in Somali affairs, Ali Khalif Galeyd Professor of International Politics at University of Minnesota a good a example is, he not only has the intellectual capacity but I hear also the finesse political shrewdness that harsh Somali political environment needs. But like other Somali Intellectuals he seems to be at loss with wider Somali intelligentsia. Another good example is Abdi Ismail Samatar, Professor of Geography at University Of Minnesota. Unlike his colleague Prof Galaydh, Prof Samatar has yet to be involved himself in the political machine of Somalia, however he is very much engaged. Professor Samatar whom I have had the pleasure of meeting in London seems passionate, engaged and quite starry-eyed who preaches that Somali “Intellectuals†can make a difference politically in Somalia. This is where the ball gets complicated. These days, it seems the word intellectual in Somali circles connotes anyone who has had the taste of University “Educationâ€. Accepting such a defective definition, can we then say someone with a decree in Lobotomy contribute well to the political advancement of Somalia? When Samatar came to London, there were meetings convened by Mr Garad of the BBC, who Mr Samatar asked (or perhaps Mr Garad suggested) he should meet the Somali Intellectuals in London. Numerous meetings were convened, meetings that only brought quite few number of Somalis in London (some with University Degrees others without any speakable erudition). In these meetings, Prof Samatar spoke about the need for the Somali Diaspora to engage in “Somali Politics†in particular to come to Eldorat, Kenya and make their mark. This was welcomed and alas those who met with him (I was not there) formed Somali Concern Group (the current leader is jolly well chap). Men from this newly formed group were sent to Kenya to participate and influence the conference. This is all well and good. But like any other emotionally charged Group, this newly formed group attracted some individuals who perhaps did not (in my humble opinion) qualify enough to lead. I am not here to critique the leadership, as I have formerly said the current leader; Engineer Yariisow is good man with clean heart-- the Chairman only can not decide the date of the organisation. The notable members of the executive were men who a lot of people would accuse to have double personalities (the multiple personality of Somali individual will be discussed in my forthcoming piece if God permits it) and they are said to be a weakling bunch of failed community organization leaders. I beg of you to understand me here, my intention is not to blacken the reputation of certain individuals but indeed to show an example of the void left behind by those able Somali intellectuals.

Why didn’t Prof Samatar himself assume the leadership of this organization? He for example is self made man, a man who can show something for his achievement? Why are most of our community leaders and politicians at large men who would fail in the real competitive world we live in? Any society destined for progression is led by the most able men. Why then all these "intellectuals" allowing has-beens to lead us to prosperity? Don't we have a genuine men and women with abilities to lead? Verily we do; I know many able, diligent intellectuals in our Community, why can’t take the leadership? I know why, because they don't want a challenge. Most of them are quite fed up by a lot of has-been men who pollute our community, unless these has-beens are challenged then the vacuum will still be there, and our community will be led by incompetent, failed bigots who can only increase the shadow of ignorance and political stagnation.

In badan baan is weydiiyey muxuu aqoon yahan Samatar oo ay caddahay in uu yahay nin karti iyo hufnaan leh; garanna kara baahida jeelalka Soomaaliyeed ee soo socda ( haddiiba Soomaalidu ka ummad is-haysata ayna dabar go'in inta uusan dhammaanin qarnigan cusubi ee 21aad)uu u asaasi waayey urur middeeyaya wax garadka jaalliyadaha Soomaaliyeed ee dibad-ku-noolka ah? Yaan sugeynaa? Ma Ingiriis intuu inoo yimaado in uu SYL kale oo summaddeedu turub tahay (Turubna waa khamaar) inoo sameeyo?

Ragga hataan soo diganayow, dan iyo xeeshiin!

NGONGE   

Some people have the intellectual credentials and capacity but fall well short when it comes to having the talent for leadership. If there are Somali intellectuals who also are potential good leaders I suspect we would have seen or heard of them by now. So, lets assume there are none. Lets also assume that there is actually an active group of Somali “intellectualsâ€. In my honest personal opinion, their role should be to advance and promote “new†ideas (or at least new ways of looking at ideas). They need to create the atmosphere with their writings or action for an “uneducated†leader and nation to follow. If their work is positive and sincere it will get through to the masses regardless of them assuming leadership or not. In a way, this is also what you’ve said at the start of your article, “Why do the supposedly illuminated men remain in this dark room?â€

It might be the case that they need an “electrician†to light up this room for them. They can harp on about the magnificence of light. They can theorise, rationalise and reflect while the “electrician†gets on with the practical activity of installing that light. They need to become “Gurus†which leaders and populace alike can refer back to for guidance and enlightenment. They need to be like Arthur’s Merlin but if one of them happens to be “Arthur†then we’ve really hit the jackpot.

I’ve only read your post once and these were the first ideas that came to my mind. I’ll probably change my mind about them in a couple of hours when I’ve had time to really “read†the article.

Looking forward to your next segment.

Our true intellectuals are the ones who are striving to do whatever it takes to better the current condition of our people wherever they are. And to name such intellectuals, they are the Wadaado, (in particular an example in mind is Sh. Mustafa Haaruun Ismaaciil), who are tirelessly working hard to bring about a satisfactory change in our sociaty.

Evertime I see Somalia, only the decent wadaado appeal my attention as the ultimate intellectuals for our people. They think nothing but our country. And I believe a true intellectually versed individual always places his people first.

well its friday so tonite is my nite to live my deposite here!!

intellect has failed the nomads in many shamefully ways!! so u one might blurp where's our liberator!

well, i just read some really amazing story, the irag soccer team and their success!! its sounds like a minor spark in this country unity, such as their soccer teams success: has done what a supper pwr's liberation couldnt do!! then again just a tiny lil spark can create an infreno of an atomical amplitude! everything is about heart not burtal force!! u gotta win the heart to be successful.

imagine if there was a somali team in the olympics that was compromised of folks from every corner of the somali weyn who unite/volunteered to represent somali weyn!! aye! that will have been amazing!!

i dont belive for minute that so called intellects, religous or chiefs will ever wins any iso tag of us!

rather, i do believe strongly, that nomad unity will spring out of nomad karty or daqan!! via from every day xalimo and farah!! :cool:

pwr to 2 ppl!!

Waaq   

Sophist,

I am not confident that I have grasped your entire essay, but I feel that engagement is preferable to the current state of apathy. However, I feel it is important to avoid a winner takes all mentality so often found in African politics. Despite my own frustration and exacerbation with the current political processess and those that are the cogs of these processes, I still believe that the role of Somali intellectuals is critically examine the process from the outside. I believe their role is to increase the body of knowledge available on the Somali situation, and to uphold the principles on academic discourse. In other post it was suggested that Nurrudin Farah should assume a political role in Somalia, but in my view this would be an unacceptable blurring of the roles in a functioning soceity. Mr. Farah might be a just, honest, and capable leader, but he is a brilliant writer and commentator on the contradictions of Somali Soceity. In my view, what is more critical to the enlightenment you mention is the dedication of one's effort to the cause. The cause in this case is the rebuilding of a state and soceity. You are correct in your observations that the idea of Somalia has been co-opted by undesireable elements with little qualifications for leadership except for their shrewd misuse of Somali social organization.

Somalis, despite are small numbers can still muster a wide array of talent and energy is pressed. The problem is that few of those most able to combat the mindless propaganda and revisionist history are engaged in Somali affairs. I respect the efforts of Prof. Samatar and others who have worked for peace and reconciliation. I do not respect the larger body of Somali professionals and intellectuals who have completely disengaged from Somalia. I wish I could think of some method of awakening this sleeping lion that could effect a great change in Somalia.

Coloow   

Sophist,

Good article. However, I don't think somalia's problem has anything to do with the passiveness, hibernation or moral decay of "intellectuals".

There is perhaps no nation, save Israel that has been built on intellectual capital. Most of the developed nations achieved progress by the combination of two major factors that is absent among many somalis.

Firstly, the promotion of handcraftsmanship and farming. These two are often not driven by degrees but sheer survival, hardship that bears fruits after some generations.

Secondly, respect for either devine laws or human laws of interaction (written or otherwise).

To be frank here, the somali society (mainly in the west) are going through some kind of social and moral decay. The "intellectuals" who were suppose to be the enlighteners and production of critical articles are engaged in a pseudo-imitation of politics.

Too often, these "intellectuals" are slaves to their western sphere of thoughts.

Why should a doctor become a politician? Why should a professor become engaged in primitive political discourse?

They are needed in classrooms soo ma aha ?

The Intrinsic Disconnection of Somalis from Their Home

It is tragically an unprecedented sadness that Somalis in the Diasporas don’t ponder their extremely neglected and intellectually isolated homeland. A recently conducted survey indicates that two-thirds of Somalis in one state of the U.S. responded that they don’t think of Somalis as their country inflicted with crisis, and hence don’t favorably incline towards the settlements of the issues in their country.

I previously thought that negative experiences and hardships inherited from foreign countries would force many Somalis understand the essential value of home, but it seems that Somalis were intrinsically displaced as well, by means of eliminating their, if any, sense of attachment and connectivity to their home country. Fourteen years of strategic political disorder, cultural degradation, and economical displacements has resulted thousands of Somalis to systematically become vagabonds for no country in origin.

What is verifiable in history is that anyone who gets dislocated both internally and externally, out of desire, is bound to lose everything. This type of loss for everything becomes so effectively real when there was prior low of self-esteem and pride. And in the case of Somali people, in particular those in the West, we have seen the symptoms of what appears to be an unusually dramatic loss of identity and cultural values.

We Somalis were victimized through all ages: in the colonial times, we were oppressed in the hands of both British and Italian colony; we were fragmented as one big Somalia and divided in people and in geography for countries extremely hostile to our spirituality as well as ethnicity; we were also brought under the severe authority of puppet leaderships specifically trained by the Western governments for the perpetual humiliation and destruction of our people, part of which are obviously taking place now in Somalia through the bloody hands of inter-tribe warlords.

Sadder than everything is the current formation of the upcoming so-called government from Kenya, that is systematically funded and organized by the very enemy who divided us to benefit our misery.

If you ask any Somali for why you don’t repatriate your home country, he/she will tell you “my home is not in peaceâ€. Neighboring Africans consider us enemy, even in the absence of a cohesive functional Somali government. Europeans vow to further destroying the few Somali remnants so as to prepare us irresistible to their vicious interests for Somalia. And finally we recently witnessed the attempted-invasion of American troops to Somalia that failed after fierce and costly resistance, which after all declared to take an indirect vengeance against Somalia, meaning the prevention of any possible and Islamically legitimate government to born in Somalia.

They (both the visible and the invisible enemy)massively displaced us through strategic programs that ultimately prompted as many Somalis as possible to become oblivious of their country.

If anyone doesn't care about the ultimate value of home, Somalis are the first who had deliberately left their country behind and never looked back even for a glimpse. Of course there are small proportions that, after experiencing the negative realities in foreign countries, came to the absolute bondage and appreciation of their homeland.

But who owns my country? If anyone owns Somalia other than the Somalians themselves, how can we (The Somalis) attempt to own another country that is not ours?

Ibros (Alle-ubaahne)

Zaylici   

My Sophist, in your article, you seem to have sacrificed two important elements in any academic or decent writing; namely, coherence and logical connections between affirmed propositions. Moreover, you seem to be making structural mistake, for a long time, I have been observing a flow in you reasoning, however, I have never attempted to point out to you, for I thought, doing so would require significant work, and the chances that you may recognize would be probably be limited. However, today it is stated plainly. In your writings, you have tendency to appeal to the emotional aspect of human beings, this does a good job in soliciting the attention of the readers temporarily, but fails to address the matter in question in an objective manner. The result of such emotional discourse is quite obvious: the problem persists and the suffering continues. Moreover, you have tendency to view others are more powerful, are more apt, like Samatar and Kaliff, in doing so, you forget, the real power that can change and bring about the desired change, that is you! Since, you think these so called intellectuals, are better suited to engage with our problems, you temporarily, relieve your self the responsibility to deal with problems, doing so however, does do no better, because you seem to be worried about the ongoing suffering in Somalia and since you are worried about it, and you believe others not you can do better, you suffer! Precisely because the locus of change is not, as you believe, within you, but within others.

Finally, these older people, lack something you have, that is youth idealism( I suppose this with some grounds), they are conservative in nature, they are not willing to sacrifice much, the reason is obvious, they have a lot to lose: they are well paid, live in better standard of living and so on. As you might be aware (based on your previous good writing) true changes require commitments and worldview that puts the capacity to change the world within you and not outside of you.

NB I have written this paper with sprit of honesty and brotherhood, and not in the intention to harm or otherwise self-gratify my ego at the expanse of others.

Long life to those who suffer because of others. And long life to self-confident revolutionaries.

Wallaal, yaaqey mawaalatey? Soo uma jeedid in aan duurkeena jecelnahay, oo waqti aan aduunka 'somali' u micneyno ma heyno!

code:

mUcH lOvE out to the reer baadiye crew   

Baashi   

Sophist,

Intellectuals! Who are they? From what I gather, anyone who has a degree or schooled in western institutions is qualified to wear the banner of “intellectualâ€. I have yet to see or hear Somali think-tank-like institutions with capacity to formulate crisp, clear, objective, and unbiased policies that can relate to the realities on the ground. I prefer the term “professionals†for that’s what you find in the Diaspora.

One reason why the “professionals†in the Diaspora are ineffective might be that they don’t share collective interest that unites them and around in which they can organize. Another reason is the question of resources and the problems it presents to these folks. Most of these professionals are minding their own personal business making a living for themselves and their families. To sacrifice and dedicate one’s energy and talents for higher cause, one needs to have a support system. Without this support system (for instance think-tank institution that pays their fellow researchers), one is prone to all kinds of undue influences. Another reason is the reality of tribal allegiance that bedeviled the “professionals†themselves - that’s why they are unable to get organized under one banner. Lastly, most of these “professionals†are young amateurs whose sincerity, optimism, and idealism took them into never-land where they practice the art of self-denial!

I honestly believe that the “negative†tribalism and the mindset and political culture it propagates are, in a nutshell, what is wrong with our political culture. We might not be nomads literally but we have nomadic attitudes. The attitude of the “winner takes allâ€, the mindset that government is “Maandeeq†to be milked by whoever wins the civil war, and so on is a political reality for the folks on the ground. We don’t have political parties with unique political, economic, or social platforms instead we have tribal communities prone to lineal segmentation whose political ambition knows no bound. As of today, we don’t have visionary leaders with capacity to anticipate and look around the corners. Unfortunately, we have shrewd, ambitious personalities who have appetite for wealth and power at the expense of their clansmen and the nation. These fellas know how to cut corners in Somali culture and how to exploit their tribes.

This is what is there on the ground. One would think that these interested “professional†amateurs will at least understand that the situation on the ground dictates what approach best accomplishes their mission which is peaceful Somalia where the rule of law reigns supreme and where the system not the personalities is the locus of the political discourse. Instead, they are oblivious of the “negative†tribalism and the hold it has on the political discourse. In so doing, they either dismiss, curse, or deny this fact.

Finally, this completely dismissive attitude reminds me Powell’s famous quote and I’m paraphrasing he put this “intellectual†business so eloquently this way: Intellectuals often possess more data than judgment. Elites can become so inbred that they produce hemophiliacs who bleed to death as soon as they are nicked by the real world.

Nice thread btw...excuse the rambling!

Sophist   

Zaylici, walaal, I have for long time forsaken nitpicking; but hey who am I to judge.

Baashi,

My fellow I would have to agree with that. Many style themselves to be intellectuals or anything that resembles it. Brother, it is the young generation that needs to step up the gear. The institutions that you speak of are needed, but they will not spring up from the earth. It is movers we need, men and women with vigour.

Bashi, perhaps you can drop me a line in my private msg. Please do so.

Thank you

Viking   

Sophist,

There's an African saying that says, "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito." These 'intellectuals' you call upon probably feel (just as you do) that they lack the grit required. Baashi has a point, maybe a 'think tank' would help gather the momentum required to start change. Just look at what Chalabi, Alawi and co. have achieved with (destabilising and eventually taking over) Iraq; Somalis might not get the same backing but it'll atleast gain recognition and support from different sides.

Sophist   

Viking, like my above fellow you are missing the point. I am no intellectual whatsoever; a mere novice. To recognise ones ability is the starting point of self-development. I am still developing, we need men with not only status but intellectual power.

Viking   

Sophist,

I understood you, I was just telling you that they (the 'intellectuals' you refer to) probably feel that they are not capable of making any difference. They hope that someone else takes care of the current problem, just as you hope they lead and do the work. I would personally have theologians leading the change than have secular thinkers, but what we need at the moment is stability, hope and peace. We'll take what we get.