Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Social Debate: IQ is below retardation level?

It is not uncommon for Somalis to mention themselves along with the Jews, the Chinese and the Indians, when they talk about "intelligence". In general, intelligence is a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings--"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do.

Here are some scores for different groups.

//

Somalis | 68

Congolese | 73

Chinese | 105

Malaysians | 92

Germans | 102

Arabs | 82

Ibo tribe (Nigeria) | 77

Jews | 108

Japanese | 107

//

Note: anything below an IQ of 70 is considered "retardation".

all comments are appreciated. No histrionics please.

N.O.R.F   

looooool

wot do they know, white ppl assessing our inteligence and coming up with this,lol,let them think that, one day they will be surprised and by then it would be too late for them!

Liqaye   

themselves along with the Jews, the Chinese and the Indians, when they talk about "intelligence". In general, intelligence is a very general mental capability that, among other things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings--"catching on," "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do

Hehehe .

First of all i wonder how an average I.Q of an entire population is given.

More so in the case of somalis were there are no standardiesd national examinations as in the other countries you named.

If these tests were taken in the somali diaspora then that would already make it inadmissible as a gauge of peoples average intelligence, due to diffrent educational, language levels, indeed a major bedrock of the I.Q test is the ability to empathise with diffrent situations, a skill you must admit which is easier to come by from a westernised somali than a badiyow.

Also i must ask about the appropriateness of the questions asked, a black american researcher once wrote an I.Q test that was felt would be more revelant to an inner city child.

A case in point

Q. When is mothers day?

A. when the welfare check arrives

you may find that funny but that is about as relevant as I.Q tests in general and Western I.Q tests structered for westerners are as a gauge of intelligence.

Also there is a new breed of I.Q tests that try to find not how intelligent you are, but what intelligence you have.

Lastly and i must admit a bit proudly i must state that somalis are very intelligent but only have a very short attention span like I do.

Typical comment on report card of somali youth:

He/she is innately intelligent ut should pay more attention, I recomend ritalin for your son/doughter

Blessed   

lol. I suppose that is one way of excusing our poor state of affairs.

Laakin, it has to be asked how was the IQ level of the meantioned groups measured. What techniques were used?

Sometimes these tests can be culture sensitive. Note those from richer countries scored higher.

Miriam1   

^^^ True, these tests are usually culture oriented, even though recently they have been trying to construct more universally applicable tests.

So this test preety much brands us as a "retarded" nation.. :rolleyes: redface.gif :rolleyes: I beg to differ!!!

Blessed   

^^^ Well actually, I gave it some thought ...

If we are compared to technically advanced nations such as Japan and Germany; we are lacking in the IQ department (retarded bit blunt formy liking). I'm not sure how these results were gathered but should it be based on tests that takeplace in the countries of the said nations than the results are more or less spot on.

Majority of the Somali population are illiterate and the level of influence our (uneducated) warlords suggests that our people aren't very well equiped in the analytical department. I know I'm sounding a little harsh but if we weren't just morons,than, maybe just maybe we'd have a country redface.gif

Rokko   

Ameenah and Jawaahir, did you guys ever wonder why all the "baac" people are considered normal in the somali culture unless they are really "qof waalan". As a matter of fact our society discriminates more against the "manic depressed" than it does against the "retarded fellas". lol

If you are ina-hebel, you are not "baac" at all. lol

In the west, "baac" fellas are recognized by the teachers early on in school and they are put on "special education" classes and some are even segregated. Some even recieve medication.

There is no such thing in Somalia. Ina hebel is ina hebel. The "baac" is just Xaliimo's little fat brother who always runs around the house screeming his lungs off.

What have we accomplished in this world? what have we contributed to science, mathematics or arts? nothing.

We are still fighting tribal wars na'mean?. lol

Macalin   

This is tottaly an unfair way of determining 'inteligence'

in college: my pysch prof showed us a video of aborigins in aussie that was given a version of IQ testing similar to the modern by USING local and traditional names/objects and they showed a higher IQ than the western one.

Quick survey has anyone here taken an IQ test before?...am gonna post one and we will see from here if we really are retarded or not!(any takers?)

I disagree with the figures you quoted Libaax Sanka taabte.I actually went to an IQ Test site and took the test and scored 139 so the figures are most definately WRONG.

Incidently the communities that have the lowest IQ according to the Data published by Libaax are all Muslim Communities

Hmmmmmmmmm! I see! I am supposed to believe that?.I think NOT

^^^ It doesn’t change your IQ whether you are Somali or not and so I suggest you try something else PK!

On a serious note though, I don’t trust IQ tests cause they are inherently flawed and thus don’t tell us anything meaningful. However, people who are arguing, my scores are high here, and therefore my country should be above average they need to study statistics.

LANDER   

libaax,

I'm curious as to where you got these scores sxb and how they were determined, can you give us the source?

Something always told me Somalis where abnormal creatures, but I hadn't realized we were actual "retards" :D .

NGONGE   

^^^^ It was "posted October 17, 2003 11:15 AM", saaxib.

Since the lion teaser is Somali and since Somalis only got 68% on average, how do you expect him to remember the source of something he wrote over a year ago?

Heh. Gives a whole new meaning to the expression “play the foolâ€. :D