Sign in to follow this  
Miskin

Culture in crises

Miskin   

Gone are the days of respecting the elderly. Gone are the days to return to wise and old people in order to resolve disputed matters among the member of the society. Gone are the days to respect and love parents. Gone are the days to shay away from bad things. Gone are the days to respect people for what they are good at? Gone are the days of loyalty and obedience. Gone are

the days to fulfil promises and pledges. Gone are the days to respect religious men and women. Gone are the days to spare innocent lives for Allah

's sake. Gone are the days of unity and mutual love among the society's members.

Truly, ours is a culture in crises because all the above stated matters are quite true and apparent to all.

In reading your title:::: i thought u might it was about the primal things, such as our heritage. However, all the points you've listed are true, and Somedia Five is devoted to getting our culture back in track. So if you know people who are interested in perserving our culture.

PEACE

Miskin   

even though numerous people do not like to

tell and admit the truth. As it happens, whenever a certain society ceases adhering to the good components of its traditional culture, its extinction and obliteration are obvious and looming indeed.

Let us cry for a disappearing culture and abandoned values. Let us cry for subdued wise people and victimized learned siblings. Let us cry for a lost family values. Let us cry for our forsaken Somali routes. Let us cry for our lost dignity and formality. Let us cry and let us cry.

to be cont--------

miskin-macruf

Ariadne   

First let me say Wow!

Yes, what the first poster said does have some truth in it, but its mostly the younger generation it applies to. And even though everyone at sometime or another does have wild ambitions (some wilder than others ;) ) we all grow out of it and settle down. So please stop making mountains out of molehills :D:D;):D *this time we're in will come to pass*

Blessed   

Oh well :rolleyes:

No culture is static and change in values and morals should be expected from a nation whose population resides mainly out of the country.

Some of your comments are exaggerated but true. I guess, it all depends on who is setting the standards?

Salaam'alakum wrAllah'wb..

i DON'T GET IT!! :cool: thats not really somali Culture more like the religion to me!! why don't you include'''gone are the days they mutulized GIRLS''' hmmm'' somali culture well there ain't any, thats why we get LOST easily' hope that made sense..

Fee'ameem'Allah

Miskin   

Traditionally, Somalis respected their elderly, religious people, scholarly, women and the weak. Now, all these are truly nonexistent, and our culture is in genuine crises. It was extremely vital for the bygone Somalis to keep their pledges, and they often preferred safeguarding those promises to losing their precious

lives. What about now? Where are those pledges and promises? What happened to the love and the respect that used to between the Somalis? Ask the

experienced nation, and your question will satisfactorily be responded.

As far as one can tell, nowadays people spy on each other, and neither promises nor friendships are kept at all. Is not this a culture in crises?

Your sincere response might be of a paramount help to some people. In the olden days of the Somali nation, people were proud of their learned ones, but the contrary is rather true at the present time. let us cry for our culture in crises.

Khayr   

"Gone are the days of respecting the elderly. Gone are the days to return to wise and old people in order to resolve disputed matters among the member of the society. Gone are the days to respect and love parents. Gone are the days to shay away from bad things. Gone are the days to respect people for what they are good at? Gone are the days of loyalty and obedience. Gone are

Waxaa teeraxdha wa Haqq

Its the payoff that we have to pay for migrating to nonmuslim lands for the sake of a 'better life' and not for Allah and his rasul (sallahu caliyhe was salam).

This is the trade off for persuing 'FREEDOM' which basically means to do whatever you would like to do for your own personal self gratification. When people believe in this, then a house will surely crumble because no one wants to maintain it, but rather try to live in their sepereate bedrooms.

What happens when you worry about your own bedroom and not help to clean the rest of the house? Well then your own bedroom becomes messy and the house becomes messy too. This leads to things detriorating in the house and over years, affecting the its structure. Also, conflicts with other house memebers escalates.

Why? Because everybody is to busy persuing their own 'Freedoms'. This is definitely SHIRK because this means that people are putting themselves and own self gratification above the Word of Allah.

This is why things are the way they are today!!!

Miskin   

although i appreciate and respect all your opinions, see if you agrre this with me!!!!!!

Learned people are constantly envied, and they are prone to numerous dangers. They are butchered on a daily basis for the sake of their degrees and knowledge. Doctors who simply treat the sick ones of the society are murdered for no apparent reasons to mention. Why are they killed? Some envy them and the services they give to the destitute society.

Couple of months ago a friend of mine’s father who is doctor went to Somalia as a volunteer; but surprisingly this resulted in him being targeted, and he had to be arm guarded day and knight for the duration of his stay. Surely ours is culture in crises.

If the wise-people are put aside, and the knowledgeable ones are exterminated, who will remain and benefit this disadvantaged society of ours? Ours is a culture in crises! Does not the reader agree with me?

underdog   

I very much agree with the original observations but I also see the human nature behind the transformation. People do not like to be different. There is a great comfort in being "normal". Our people didn't change, the definition of "normal" changed. We come from a society that is based on a group of people with similar needs (Family, Clan, tribe) and most western socities are individual based. Now we find that all those who want to be normal must conform with their new surroundings and engage in all the sad behaviours detailed in the first post.

Cry for our culture??? No way, my somali culture is alive in me and in most of the people here. And I'd rather lead by example.

Someone once said "Stand For Something Or Fall for Everything"

TIIMBARO   

This problem is universal miskeen. You can’t expect these young people to preserve their traditions; there is an immense pressure for them to “fit” in. Let me ask you this buddy, what will you do differently to safeguard this distinctive culture of ours?

Miskin   

It is true that this problem is a universal one Jeenyo, but the problem goes lot deeper than these young people who are trying to fit in. I think the problem lies at the heart of our society as a whole; you see brother surprisingly those who respect other opinions and choose to be modest in their daily lives are regarded as the foolish ones, while those who disrespect and misbehave are the smart and brave ones. Ours is a culture in crises.

Worse, it is quite hard to oppose some Somalis' points of view and remain their friend at the same time. One is either with them or against them. This dictatorship mentality is an evident phenomenon in our daily dealings and discussions. The bygone Somali generations used to sit under trees, and they would talk and oppose each other, but that did not mean they were foes to each other. The opposite is true now. There are neither trees to sit under nor free expressions to convey. Ours is a culture in crises.

Many children defy the orders and advices of their caring parents, and the regrettable parents do invariably see and experience their offspring

stepping out of their homes. Consequently, parents are disheartened and dismayed because their children do not obey them anymore. Our culture is unquestionably in crises.

Our wives, sisters and daughters can stay up the whole night if they want to. Also, they defy the advices of their husbands, brothers and those who

advocate for their well-being. Wives call police on their husbands. Consequently, the poor and powerless husbands are commanded to vacate their homes and children for a long period of time, if not once and forever. It is a culture in crises. Married couples go to courts so that one wins and puts the other behind bars. These are the problems that I am disturbed about and I am I truly believe ours is a culture in factual crises.