Sign in to follow this  
nuune

The Beauty Of Our Language

nuune   

MMA.

yac kadheh,no language IS PERFECT except somali,that is my believe,luqaddeena waxay xambaarsantahay murti,xikmad iyo anything else you could tell which other languages totally lack,

have you listened to one of the afarreey or gabay by Carays Ciise Kaarshe,remeber when he said sidan:

af soomaal waa margiyo

waa meeshii loo dhigiyo e

isaga oon mara laheen

midki kugu soo mudluga

macnaha aad uma kasine

waa muruge ma ogtihiin.

so i think u know what he is referring to!!

AUN   

Very interesting topic, as always MMA and Nuune are taking more than their share to educate and entertain te community. I agree with you that af-Somali is a very rich and beautiful language but the problem is and has been that we have been borrowing so many words from other languages even tough we had our own words and they subsequently replaced the Somali words and those words have dissapeared. The blame is on those who call themsevles as "educated" Remember back home when you meet with someone from abroad comes back most of them tried to use some foreign words in order for them to be seen as educated and it worked for them. For example, "todobaad' is a perfectly somali word but hardly anyone used back home especially among the youngesters the prefered words were week/sitimaan

Also atariisho and atoore are not Hindi or English but tey are Italian and as MMA said they have same root in both English and Italian wich are both European

mahadi   

Insha Allah one day one of you will become a linguistics scholar so that we can better understand the origins of our language.

No language is pure as they all build on each other and meld different words and grammar. It makes sense to me that colloquial Somali has many loan words from Arabic, Sanskrit, and Persian because these peoples have had contact with Somalis for over a 1000 years, especially the Arabs.

Personally...I dont find the somali language to be extra special. The only reason i still speak it is because it makes my mom happy and I can talk about some1 in their face, and they dont understand.

The way I see it, language is used in order to communicate effectively to people..since my somali isnt perfect..and my english is alot better..I prefer to speak english.

Now I know alot of people are gonna start hating on me..but let me make one thing clear..I wasnt born in Somalia..so I see things more different that some of you.

*one*

ps: besides..if you didnt notice...The somali language isnt all pure somali..there are alot of italian and arabic that were influenced by our former colonists and traders. So this new generation just brings an extra element, english, to the language. Ya feel me?

Miskin   

we do have a rich language, and we need to appreciate it. just look at the following and see if you can translate them to other languages.

MAANTA = TODAY

SHALY = YESTERDAY

DARAAD=?

BERI = TOMORROW

SAA-DAMBE = ? (dont say the day after tomorrow)

SAAKUUN = ?