Sign in to follow this  
nuune

somalia is a backward country: says waris dirie

U know what DAD9000 that little snipet that u posted says all that needs to said about her. A lost girl with a complusive nature of lying.

Salaamu Alaikum,

1. Somalia is a Muslim country and even though Muslim countries have many problems one thing we are not is backward as we are umatul waaxida ukhrijat li naas meaning we Muslims are the best nation to ever be raised amongst mankind.

2. I bet you the lady herself does not fully comprehend the term backwardness the definition used is dependent on societies' values and we are all well aware we do not share the same values for example western values are different to ours.

3. Somalia has many issues which God-Willingly will be sorted there is no need to call our country backward otherwise this would imply all somalis are backward and nothing is further away from the truth. We somalis are getting better and would Insha Allah return to our former glory if we can adopt Al-Islam fully in our personal lives.

Wa Bilahi Tawfiq,

Mujahid.

DAD   

U know what DAD9000 that little snipet that u posted says all that needs to said about her. A lost girl with a complusive nature of lying.

Yea, its really hard not to think she is not some sort of *stand-up* comedian somewhere. Click here for more of her humor

H   

Supermodel waris dirie was a give-year old child of the somali desert when an old woman held her down and circumcised her with a rust blade, sewing up her wond with catgut and thorns.

I guess She's only tryin 2 stop such things happen'n 2 others

Thunder   

I first saw the lady on ABC's 20/20, and her piece on FGM was an eye opener for me. I heard about her books and never bothered to read them.

I guess she run out of topics to write about, 'cause every body knows that SOMALIA is very backward country. If you don't think so, just look at the news archives in the last eleven years, or visit Somalinet's forums and see how backward Somalia is. :D

Ariadne   

I know this might sound strange to some

but I read the book and liked it and also wasn't offended by anything in the book.

Nobody can disagree that the sister has been through a lot of struggles in her life. We also have to realize that their are millions of people out there that go from rags to riches some of them become better people because they think back on their own struggles and try to help others or do something good for society.

However there are also people that are in the same rags to riches position that their struggles have made them bitter to what they struggled with

in Waris 's case her contininet (she didn't have a single goood thing to say about the whole continet but more importantly her country.)So I don't hate her or condemn here for saying whatever she said in her book, because the parts that were fictionalized were done so that her book can sell more copies. I don't think we should say people like her are a menace and I think she needs guidance I think all people like her need guidance and when she siad somalia is a backwards country she was speaking of her own personal experience with somalia she was speaking as someone who went from struggles and hardships to glitz and glamour and of course when she had so little she is going to make her new life as a model look good to her by rationalizing with her self in saying "I came from a backwards country and now Im the picture of sophistication". Anywas that my 2 cents....

Nuune!

As I was reading most of the replayz I found many disagree with ex model waris opionions about Somalia in her book. I think what waris wrote was based on her expreiences. Personally I found most of things she wrote about Somalia is true. I am really honest person. I think most of somalians don't wann live in the reality or to say it better don't wanna know their mistakes. If I am worng or right i admitt it and try to CORRECT IT AND TRY TO BE BETTER PERSON. :eek:

This is pretty much interesting and brings forward the dilemmas “We” as a community face. I haven’t read any of her books as yet but I also cant help thinking perhaps that Somalis cant solve their own problems and wait for the West to come and rescue us out of it. It is well noted that like Weriis does in her books, we have to bring out the dirty laundry for other cultures to laugh at "US". Whatever, our ills and Ails are, there should be a home made remedy and not a westernised one cause the only way you get to be viewed is being barbaric in nature and very backward. That poison so far comes from within rather from the outside. We are well known for creating out own misery rather than alleviate them. The lesson we should learn is that we should learn that no one is out there to cure “US” but “US”. To me the lady happens to represent a culture regardless of what the culture is and so far she has brought more shame ridicule and more scorn our way than a few millions Somalis could have in many years. She’s a mouthpiece for the society however, just like a lot more around the West (brainwashed), she keeps stabbing deeper and deeper.

There is a need for the community to learn that there are far too many backward cultures out there than the Somali one but then again they have what We Somalis call "CEEB QARIIS".

I was looking at some extracts from Waries books and they surely sounded quite amusing. Here are a few extracts and comments.

“My family was a tribe of herdsmen in the Somalia desert. And as a child, the freedom I had to experience nature’s sights, sounds and smells was pure joy. We watched lions baking in the sun. We ran with giraffes, zebras and foxes. We chased hyraxes—rabbit-size animals—through the sand. I was so happy.”

You would think she was living in a zoo somehow.

“By five I knew what it was to be an African woman, to live with terrible suffering in a passive, helpless manner.”

You would think that African women don’t still suffer with the burdens of raising families. After all she portrays here that she had a wonderful mom and dad who eloped with each other and probably loved each other.

“ "Come and get me," I said to the lion. "I’m ready."

The big cat stared at me, and my eyes locked on his. He licked his lips and paced back and forth in front of me, elegantly, sensuously. He could crush me in an instant.

Finally he turned and walked away, no doubt deciding that I had so little flesh, I wasn't worth eating. “

Now what kinda woman is so brave as to ask a lion to eat her?J

“Papa was very handsome, about six feet tall, slim and lighter-skinned than Mama. My mother was beautiful. Her face was like a Modigliani sculpture and her skin dark and smooth, as if perfectly chiseled from black marble.

Her demeanor was very calm, very quiet. But when she started talking, she was hysterically funny, telling jokes and saying silly little things to make us laugh. “

I bet she misses that and yes Somalis tend to be just that pretty/handsome and funny.

Haboon   

I wonder what all the fuss is about, nobody will base his/her opinion on somalia on what waris wrote we r giving her way too much credit

We would be better of if we ignored her ***

U know what amasses me , the way my sisters once they'r in the limelight use the circumsided and married to an old git card

nuune   

Posted by Shaqsi

Papa was very handsome, about six feet tall, slim and lighter-skinned than Mama. My mother was beautiful. Her face was like a Modigliani sculpture and her skin dark and smooth, as if perfectly chiseled from black marble.

Her demeanor was very calm, very quiet. But when she started talking, she was hysterically funny, telling jokes and saying silly little things to make us laugh. “

I bet she misses that and yes Somalis tend to be just that pretty/handsome and funny.

she really tells the truth,yes i was reading a book written by non somalis,it concludes that the population of somalia is about 10 million and 7 million of them are very tall,pretty and handsome,she really got that information about her father from this book!! :D;)