Sign in to follow this  
shyhem

Will the Real donor Please Stand Up?

shyhem   

It's been long since i posted a topic here and i'm alittle bit rusty, so please bear with me.Afew months ago a i moved from Carli to Minny and in the process i had to change my DL.Since mine was a Cdl i had to wait a couple of months, for the dept of homeland security and the F.B.I to do a background check on me.And I think i should sue Osama for loss of wage,coz if it wasn't him this whole process would have been finished in less than three weeks.

Anyway i just recieved it recently,however there were some clerical errors and i had some endorsements missing.I went back to the DMV and they promised to fix the problem.

My question is when u apply for DL or ID, do u check yes or no on the question that says,"do you want to donate an organ" and what would you do if clerical error had you listed as a donor.

In general what do u think of organ and body donation......Body donation basically means giving the whole of u'r body to an institution like a university for medical students to study or u can think of the "the body farm" in Tennessee where they throw u'r body in the forest for forensic puposes and study how fast it decomposes.

ps-Again forgive me if i didn't make myself clear and i will appreciate if u let me know what u'r answers are.Thanks in advance.

Bess.   

i have always just assumed that it was wrong to donate organs... as i thought it was a violation of the near deceased's body....but i did some research and found some articles...both for and against.....as a sciencist im for ppl donating thier organs...as there is a real need for organs....and many ppl die waiting...and it could be avoided.....but personally i don't think that i could do it, nor would i be happy if someone close to me chose to do it....i thought this article had some merit....

Although organ donations and transplants are less frequent in Muslim countries, in 1996 the Muslim Law (Shariah) Council UK issued a fatwa, or religious opinion, on organ donation.

Normally violating a human body - whether living or dead - is outlawed in Islam, but the fatwa is based on the principle of necessity overruling prohibition (or al-darurat tubih al-mahzurat).

The council decided that:

* Organ transplantation is supported as a means of alleviating pain or saving life on the basis of the rules of the Shariah

* Muslims may carry donor cards

* The next of kin of a dead person may give permission to obtain organs from the body to save other people's lives in the absence of a card or an expressed wish to donate organs

Most Muslim commentators view organ donation as charitable or required to preserve life. But there are still a number of Islamic scholars who believe that it does not fall under principle of necessity overruling prohibition (al-darurat tubih al-mahzurat) due to other Islamic principles that override this rule.

Evidence to support both of these viewpoints can be found in the Qur'an and the Ahaadith, so it is recommended that individual Muslims make a decision according to their understanding of the Shariah, and if necessary seek advice from their local Imam.

web page

shyhem   

Besbaaso

U have a valid point and i do understand where u coming from.However,if me and you are not interested in donating our organs,who on earth will donate to us if we ever(may God forbide it) need them.Think about it for aminute.

By the way the link is almost blank,i can only see a small picture.Anyway thanks and i will try to search through the BBC archives.

Bess.   

fixed it..... sorry about that shyhem....

i understand where u r coming from, and we all need to do our part to help humanity in any way that we can...we can't all just sit...do nothing and expect this things to be better...but i can't help the revultion that i feel when i think about my died body being cut open and my insides being pulled and given to others...i feel weired sharing clothes ...imagine body parts.....sorry i can't be the better person in this case...other more giving ppl r gonna have to step up...

Som@li   

There was this somali guy who died in a car accident a while ago, when his family retrieved his body from the hospital for burial,to their surpise, all they could find was something in small bag, being a donor, they removed and took everything, even the bones!! :mad:

I am not a donor and believe it is Haram, the Dead deserve a respect.

shyhem   

Besbaaso

Lool i thought a scientist like u will led us to the promised land of organ donation,I guess in the end our imaginations gets the best of us.

Personally,i have no problem donating my organs provided Islam allows it.If possible i will donate my body to a medical school in somalia,but again i don't know what islam says about donating u'r body to medical students.

Thanks for the article,i certainly gained new knowldge from it.

So far the real organ donor hasn't raised his/her.

shyhem   

Originally posted by Farxan:

There was this somali guy who died in a car accident a while ago, when his family retrieved his body from the hospital for burial,to their surpise, all they could find was something in small bag, being a donor, they removed and took everything, even the bones!! :mad:

I am not a donor and believe it is Haram, the Dead deserve a respect.

What good are the dead if they are just going to decompose in the grave.And for the family of the boy they should have been proud of their son,who knows how many pple he saved their lives.

As for the haram part,are sure or are u just giving us u'r opinion.

Pacifist   

Thanks to all of you. I was wondering about Organ Donors and if Islam allowed it. I for one am all for it. The reason behind my decision was a loved one died while still waiting for a liver transplant.

Thanks shyhem and pilipili;)

Bess.   

hasna sweetie may allah grant him ja'aana....

and sheyhem....i can't just get over the phobia of being cut open....and as a sciencist its important to understand my short comings....hopefully there r others that don't have cripling fears to stop them....

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Pacifist:

Thanks to all of you. I was wondering about Organ Donors and if Islam allowed it. I for one am all for it. The reason behind my decision was a loved one died while still waiting for a liver transplant.

Hasna my sincere condolences, but I also know my dear sister you share with me the fact that they would still have died have they received that liver transplant.

My understanding of donating an organ while somebody is alive and that he/she will not be harmed cause of it is persuasive. But am admant and strict on the fact that the organs and the whole body of a deceased should be left intact and alone .

I'm an organ donor....got the card a year or so ago.

I don't see what the fuss is. We donate blood, don't we? If a sibling needed a kidney, we would give it to them, wouldn't we? So what makes this any different? And ultimately, what do I care what happens to my organs once am dead? I would rather have them put to good use, thanks.

I have two views on this subject---If people started to donate their organs when they died...the demand would decrease and poor poeple in third world countries would not have to sell their organs to survive (alot of young women and men, in India particulariy, sell their kidney (+other organs) to pay off debts or just buy food...from european and American customers. It's a very large lucrative black market business).

However, I am also paranoid. How is one to know that the doctors are doing everything in their power to save your life (if you are in an accident). There are alot of stories in which doctors take bribes to take organs....they would be tempted to let you die.

In the case of Islamic ruling:

6. It is permitted to transplant an organ from a dead person to a living person whose life depends on receiving that organ, or whose vital functions are otherwise impaired, on the condition that permission is given either by the person before his death or by his heirs, or by the leader of the Muslims in cases where the dead person’s identity is unknown or he has no heirs.

"An whoever saves a soul it would be as if he had saved all mankind". It should be given as a gift. The sale of an organ is prohibited. (Quran 5:32)

Another opinion:

C. Dead To Living:This is not permitted since it involves the desecration of the dead body.

Islamic Ruling on Organ Donation

^ Have you seen Dirty Pretty Things? It was about that - illegal immigrants having to sell their organs to pay for passage to Western countries or to afford basic necessities. Pretty good film.

As for your paranoi...you'll die when its your time (whether the doctors try their best or not).

the Dead deserve a respect.

And so do the living.

I have two views on this subject---If people started to donate their organs when they died...the demand would decrease and poor poeple in third world countries would not have to sell their organs to survive (alot of young women and men, in India particulariy, sell their kidney (+other organs) to pay off debts or just buy food...from european and American customers. It's a very large lucrative black market business).

Wouldnt it be much easier to adress the ISSSUES that causes poverty? :confused:

I am a Donor!(Gladly).However what am worried about is,if and when someone gets my parts,and then turns around to be a menace to the society , :confused: am i to Blame?