Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Nomads in Alberta, Canada

Do any SOL members live there? Can you tell me about the city? The uni, neighbourhoods, the good, bad and ugly? My mom got it into her head that she wants to move there...and all I know about Alberta is snow, oil and cows. icon_razz.gif

So what is Alberta like? Does it have a big somali/muslim pop? How about the rednecks? Which place do u recommend to live in?

etc. etc.

I was going to start a topic like this about Kentucky, North Carolina. Alberta is a cool city, I believe it is one of the prairie provinces, oil city, lots of jobs, higher minimum wages then the rest of Canada, expensive living in terms of rent etc, lower unemployment rate then the rest of Canada (around 4.5%). The cadaan there are predominantly conservatives, the unemployment rates of the cali beesteen (natives) is over 30% or 40% they're disgruntled if I was maryooley like you Scarlet I'd stay away from them. It is good to move.

Castro   

Originally posted by Scarlet:

Can you tell me about the city?

Alberta is a bloody province with MANY cities. :rolleyes:

Nephissa   

I know the province has no PST and have heard it's a lot easier to find a job. Rent and cost of living is cheaper too. But I doubt if it's really as great as everyone says. Car accident is the #1 killer of Somalis, not to mention trucks running over drivers. Wa lagu baba'ay meeshaasi.

Miriam1   

LOL Castro...

Yes Alberta is a Province...and has several cities. But the majority of somalis live in the Capital edmonton.

I heard its very beautiful, and it isnt hard to find good jobs, there is a good sized muslim pop in edmonton, very strong history of a lebonanis in the city, also heard of a very large beautiful masjid. Now thats all the good stuff

A neighbour, moved there a year ago and came back to Toronto. According to her she couldn't stand it, after living around so many of her own people or in general around a big mixedup city like toronto, Edmonton was just too ..white.. and the jobs were all low paying jobs, she said the rent was credibly low but basic things like food and other amenities were very very expensive...

Anyway, before making such a major decision, visit it in the summer..the winters are brutal...in any of those provinces...

Filthy red-neck province with with lots, lots, lots of sand oil, plus a very right-wing, right-at-home-à la-Texas premier. The province only gets interesting when the price of oil rises. Currently, as it did in '70s, its overflown with wealth from that sand oil, thus no tax in provincially.

Most Soomaalis who work there are kawaanle and drivers of isjiidka macalarimoodkiis. They make lacag fiican, considering the jobs they do, but faraha iyo dhiiga ayaa istaago the result of cutting hilib baraf ah everyday. Thus, the highest aalkuluusto of dhalinyarada Soomaalida live there, attributing to its harsh cold weather and minimum social life. Sad.

Maf Kees   

I visited family in Calgary once. It's a nice place, but boring if you know Vancouver and Toronto. They buy their cars in Edmonton and they cut frozen meat in Brooks.

That's Somali Alberta in a nutshell.

I was in Edmonton this past X-mas to visit my family – the city is actually nice, I didn’t see that many Somalis, but there are many jobs, I mean they advertise jobs on their buses, billboards and every other place.

The streets can be confusing, they’re all numbers, and make sure you don’t get lost for example there is 82 street, and there’s also 82 avenue, on two opposite ends of the city.

Also, there are many Sudanese people there, and may I say they have adopted the BET Lifestyle and lingo very fast.

Scrlet since you like to know everything, I also found out this for you the uni fees are between Ontario which is the highest and Quebec which is the lowest but it is more close to Ontario. I'm sure there are nomads who live there where are they hiding?

J.Lee   

Edmonton is a family town. Booming economy, immeasurable job opportunities, nice people, a bit country but nice nonetheless and oh, how could I forget about the affordable housing.

On a negative note it's dull and dry as chaffed skin. Not to mention that you might see 5 bars within a two block radius. Horrible, just horrible.

Scenery wasn't at all desirable either, but then again I might be a bit biased here: there are few cities, in my opinion, which can measure up to the Pacific Northwest.

P.s

I met some girls that moved from VanCity there, they didn't like it at all.

Baluug   

I live in Calgary and I can tell you there are lots and lotsa jobs, relatively cheap rent($550/month for 1 bdrm up to $950/month for 3 bdrm), and the Somali population is made up mostly of Somalilanders. We also have a masjid with a Somali Imam, Sheik Siciid Raage, who's a really great guy. The masjid is called Islamic Information Society of Calgary (or IISC ) and it's also an Islamic library. And yes, it may be a town full of mostly white people and you'll see a few cowboy hats here and there, this isn't the 1800's, you won't get lynched in the streets for being black. People love to say Calgary is full of rednecks and bigots, but you'll find those people everywhere, and I walk around with a black Muslim woman all the time, and no one's said anything about it to my face.

You will run across the occasional homeless Native person who'll ask you for money, and some of those guys can be persistent :D

I can't tell you much about Edmonton cuz I've never lived there, but it's probably the same as Calgary, but it's further up north, which means colder winters. Calgary actually only gets really cold between mid-January to March, and we don't get very much snow. But I do know there are more Somalis in Edmonton, and there are more than just Somalilanders there, too.

There are quite a few meat factories in southern Alberta, and they are always hiring, for a good reason. People quit all the time because the job is way too hard, depressing, dirty, smelly, and it's not worth it for the money you make. I know this, because I worked in one for 6 years. So if your mom does decide to come to Calgary and if you hear any of these names, Scarlet, do your mom a favour and take the application form from her hands and tear it up and BURN IT!!!

Lakeside Packers, Cargill Foods, Lucerne, XL Meats, XL Beef, Brooks(a town 1 1/2 hours east of Calgary and where Lakeside factory is located, and where I lived for one year), High River(a town 1/2 hour south of Calgary, and where Cargill factory is located).

By, the city, I meant EDMONTON.

Thanks all for your kindess in responding, esp MC Xamar. Very interesting. The decision hasn't been made yet but she heard alot of pple say it's great. But, you have to take anything somali's say with a grain of salt. :D

^^Been ma aadan sheegin wallee, laakiin ogoow waxey sheegaan ba wax run ah baa ku jira.

Mr.xamar..war waxaad iiga warantaa tagaasida ninyahoow? waxaan doonayaa in aad six bolood dhuunta isa soo qabtee.