Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Mismatched names, character and personality

Paragon   

Originally posted by Haneefah:

Mom and dad were trying to have a daughter for a very long time before I came, and when they finally had me, everyone wanted to name me, but the honour went to my maternal grandpa whom no one could disagree with - it was so important for him that I'd be given this name that he had to send witnesses to my wan-qal, as I was told. So yes! I've always had the blessing (alhamdulilah) of being surrounded by loving people in my life who always made me feel like the
'beloved'
one. Didn't really have to work that hard for it.
:D

Paragon, I know a couple with your name, they are all culama
smile.gif

Thanks dear. Soo ducee.

Adigu magacaaga iyo dabeecadaaduba waa esh calaa. If I were to name you in Somali it'll most probably be: Suuban. Serene character. smile.gif

Nephy, don't know? :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Blessed*:

You're meant aspire to be like the person you're named after or it's a reflection of what your parents want or hope for you, how they felt about your birth or it's just a pretty name.

Or they had no idea what to call you until they were forced to choose a name by the very persuasive fact of your birth! :D

Before my eldest was born, I had a collection of people (usually women relatives) suggesting all manner of cute names. One day, her aunt suggested I call the unborn baby Jamila (bloody Somalis)! I could not help making the sarcastic comment that she will be born dark and ugly and have to be saddled with that name for the rest of her life.

To get out of the ordeal of having to agree to one of their suggestions, I told them I need to see the baby's face when its born and then decide on a name that fits. The months passed and I forgot all about that conversation (well, not unless someone reminded me by suggesting a new exotic name).

The day of her birth arrived and after long, gruelling and painful hours of sitting outside the labour ward reading a newspaper or running outside the hospital to hurriedly smoke a cigarette, she was finally born! I was summoned. I walked in with shaking legs and a beating heart, expecting to see the relieved face of the Mrs and a nice baby in a Moses basket. Instead, the wife looked like she just finished a fifteen rounder with Mike Tyson (on the losing side might I add) and the baby needed to be given a bath! Even worse, they expected ME to give it a bath! I made the sarcastic comment that my Mrs and her daughter were spoiled princesses that got themselves an unpaid servant (me) and told the Mrs to wash her face and look presentable, her worried father was waiting outside. That's when her, my mother, sister and the wretched aunt (for she was there) assaulted me with the question about the baby's name! The aunt asked 'do you still think the baby is dark, ugly and looks like a jaariyad?' Which, I confess, I did at the time(newborn babies are not pretty)! But, contrary to conventional wisdom, I do have my diplomatic moments.

I quickly countered by saying 'NO! Didn't you just hear me refer to her as a princess. That's the name I am going to call her' and that's how my eldest got her name.

Ps

This is a secret between me and you (SOL people). Neither my wife nor my daughter know. Though I don't mind if the daughter knew. The cow had the audacity earlier today to suggest I use Just For Men! :mad:

Indhoos   

^^^^Wow, now I know NG uses cow as an endearment and not derogatory way...What a relieve.Welcome to the world of princesses and appearances. :D:D

What are some fave names for SOLers, especially for girls? *sigh* Don't ask why I am asking.

Cara.   

What piffle @ Ngonge. Admit it, you agonized for months over what to call your eldest. You tried out different girl names with various prefixes like Madame, President, Prime Minister, and yes even Princess knowing she would probably have to marry into royalty... Next, you decided on her name based on it's meaning in Arabic or Somali, while making sure it had no possibly nasty connotations or off-color rhymes in English, Russian or Mandarin. Finally, after narrowing it down to a manageable 14 names, you had to be sure the number of letters matched her star sign and the phase of the moon while NOT adding up to 8, which has negative associations in the Micronesian islands... That left you with 3 names. Unable to choose, you named her all 3, and rotate them based on the day of the week and her most current accomplishments.

On the other hand, the other kids' names were picked out of the list of ingredients on a cereal box the morning after they were born. My regards to little Zinc and her younger brother Folic Acid :D

[edit] Indhoos ^^^ Why are you asking? :D

I need to do a survey to see if people around me think that my name matches my personality.

See, the whole point is your perception of yourself and other's perception of you can be completely different. so who is right?

Saying that the truth is "a name carries the hopes of your parents" and truly it represents how they see you! (er' at your birth)

So Che, you will end up being true to your name.

Cheers

Cara.   

That's just crazy LOZ. Who would do that?

Now I want you to meet my own bundle of joy, You're-the-Weakest-L ink-Goodbye, or YW for short. Twin to YF and a year older than darling little WWTBAM? Yes the question mark is part of his name.

Indhoos   

^^^At the direction that Cara is going with this, LOZ, I am saying forget I asked; let alone telling the reason.

Now let me see, R-i-b-o-f-l-a...OH FORGET IT.

I was given two names when I was born.

Alexandru (prounounced aleksandru) after my grandfather, meaning "defender of men" which kinda fits.

And Iustinian (ioo-stee-nyan)which means "upright, righteous" which doesn't really fit lol.

Originally posted by Blessed*:

Yes and no. Hooyo and aabo named me twice.

I have few people like that in our family, but for some reason, the name given by dad becomes the legal name, and the one given by mom becomes the actual name person goes by in daily life.

Nehandi It is not suppose to be logical

Legendzu I thought it did till I find out I wasn't willing to go back to fight Ethios. Kashafa and Alle-Ubaahne were much dedicated to the cause, but they didn't go either...so that made me feel better :D

Aaliyyah   

My name certainly suits me. You know the prophet csw always recommended to name your kids a good name, he was a firm believer the name plays an important role in the person's life...

salaam

Pucca   

lets see....one of my names has no meaning and the other is the name of a city also no meaning.

Im thinking that says something about me but im going deny that and say that a name is just a name and nothing more. I'd be the same person if i were simply a letter or number.