Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Table Manners

Nephissa   

OK! I know this may seem like a silly question, but here goes:

Is cleaning my plate with my last piece of bread "disgusting"?

Some people I know have an issue with my eating habits [hard to believe, I know ;) ] They claim that when I clean my plate with my bread, it turns their stomach! So I'm here to sample the SOL population and get some statistical data. L0L. Is it something I should be self-conscious about? Keep it in check?

Seriously, what the 'ell is the bread there for if not to clean off the remnants of sauce from a kick @ss suqaar? Some people are frekkin uptight!

Nephissa   
NN: sheesh I should have saved starting this thread for tomorrow because this topic is making me hungry when it's really time to call it a night! Anyway, on that note buona notte a tutti.

Cara.   

Exactly what are you doing Neph? You must be leaving out certain details, like the fact that the plate squeaks, and that you turn the bread over a couple of times :D

Is cleaning my plate with my last piece of bread "disgusting"?

Why? Disgusting? What for?

Waa dhameynaa if baahi i heyso, if not meeshiis ku dhaafaa.

This comes from the outdated traditional view oo wax in lagu dhaafo saxanka, otherwise dadka u qaadan jireen qofka in uu wali baahanyahay. Same with cabitaanka.

But since many of us we are in Galbeedka now, dad baahan iska yar, dadka iyagaa deliberate isku baahisiiyo, oo diet iyo wax jirin ku jiro.

Originally posted by Cara:

Exactly what are you doing Neph? You must be leaving out certain details, like the fact that the plate squeaks, and that you turn the bread over a couple of times
:D

Clearly you've all misunderstood her.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with substituting a dish cloth with a peice of bread. It's cheap and environmentally friendly.

Neph, olive loaves do absolute wonders for my glassware, I recommend it. :D

-Lily-   

I don’t think I would be put off by that. There are worse things, like having a mobile phone conversation while you’re supposed to be eating, or discussing topics that make your stomach turn, loudly blowing your nose and placing the tissue on the table next to the food, or eating with your mouth half open, or chewing loudly, or the worst, loosening your buttons/belt?! Stop bloody eating if you’re that full, such a disgusting habit wallahi.

Where I grew up we were told it’s rude to finish EVERYTHING of your plate which really contradicts with Islamic principles of not wasting food doesn’t it?

Urban   

Originally posted by Northerner:

quote: or the worst, loosening your buttons/belt?!

It doesnt mean your already full dee. You're just getting comfortable :cool:
Innit man

I also do the same nephthys, if it's on the plate I'll eat it, sometimes I don't even leave a grain of rice on the plate redface.gif . I have other 'bad' habits as well, one of them is devouring everything as fast as I possibly can.. for some reason I find it more enjoyable eating 2 or 3 bites at once. Which is probably why I hate eating out

I second lily

Neph nothing wrong besides it is sunnah to leave ur plate clean infact u can lick ur fingers too! However some find it disgusting in public

So longer u know ur doing right and comfortabe, ha u bixin. If they cant deal with it then dont dine wth them! i guess it cant be ur husband.

Kool_Kat   

Nephthys, my dear old friend, saxanka intaa nadiifisid with your rooti ma ehee, markaa dhameysid cuntada, faraha leef - one by one...

As long you are not eating with your mouth open, and chewing loudly, what you do with your plate is up to you...