Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

The First Somali Female Archaeologist

Aaliyyah   

Abdilatif raali ahow walaal, dont feel left out. adigana wa lugula raadinaya smile.gif

odayaasha dhinac kasoo fadhiiso smile.gif

Cadaan talk about obsession icon_razz.gif

ElPunto   

Nice. I had to google UCL though. Self important Brits!

One other thing - why is the title the 'first Somali ...'? I am always amazed by how some Somalis think their mere presence in a particular field means they are the 'first'. Superiority Complex Nation!

African Americans used to do that too back in the day, I just saw this on msn today.

I'm definitely not trying to undermine the woman's awesome achievements =) but this article is taking it to extremes.

"she is the first British-based researcher to work in Somaliland for 28 years..."

maybe that is true..though I suspect it isn't.

"...and the only somali archaeologist anywhere in the world"

now this sounds a little too exaggerated, IMO.

also just wanted to add that it's *great* that a Somali is taking this kind of interest in uncovering somalia's treasures..

How much of the history of somalia is actually written by Somalis anyway?

LANDER   

Originally posted by grasshopper:

also just wanted to add that it's *great* that a Somali is taking this kind of interest in uncovering somalia's treasures..

How much of the history of somalia is actually written by Somalis anyway?

^Glad you see it that way after your earlier comments.

No matter where she's from, it seems folks are getting away from what I think is the most paragraph in that article.

Taking the landscape as its central theme, her project explores an important part of the Somalis’ cultural heritage. Many African societies have little written history, making archaeology a key means of exploring their past

So her research will benefit all somalis and perhaps even shed light on the true origin of somalis, all 'theories' aside. It is no secret most of our history stems from oral traditions of poetry and the like. Often containing both myth and reality, it will be hard work for anybody trying to uncover hard material facts about somali origins and history.

Originally posted by LANDER:

^Glad you see it that way after your earlier comments.

please note that I was criticizing the way the article was written..not the subject of the article.

LANDER   

I didn't see what was so 'extreme' about the article, I have never seen or heard of any accredited Somali Archaeologist. If you do know any, please share with us their work or work plans so we can all benefit from them.

Chimera   

Osman Yusuf Mohamed is a Somali Archaeologist with a PHD who has done great things with his collegue Steve Brandt in shedding light on Pre-historic Somalia, Ahmed Dualeh Jama is another Somali archaeologist with numerous publications and books on his name regarding Somalia, most notably being: The Origins and development of Mogadishu AD 1000 -1800.He is part of a larger team called the Somali Archaeology Research Unit, i doubt he is the only Somali in S.A.R.U since many Somali students studying at home and in the Soviet Union specialized themselves in that field since the Somali-Soviet expedition of 1971 and again i doubt our Somali sisters who were Soldiers,Pilots,Doctors etc etc in our country somehow did not take the same path regarding this particular field so ThePiont is correct for highlighting the incorrect statement made by that editor which is a perfect example of how lazyness often leads to ignorance

Well done Sada Mire may more Sisters and brothers follow your example Insha-allah!

Cara.   

^I consider you to be an archaeologist par excellence.

Hambalyo to Sada Mire. Is that the Amazon in the background?

Haneefah   

Subxanallah, I'm concerned for some of the brothers! Talk about being possessed by shaytaan.

Perhaps some of you should look at THIS and reflect.

As for the sister, good for her!