Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

This I beleive

STOIC   

I believe in the power of choice. I believe as a human being I am capable of formulating my own choice. I believe in honoring my choice and accepting the consequences of my choice whether my choice is good or bad. I can decide to pursue what I want in a rational and moral way. It is the power of choice that let me decides whether to fog my mind with a negative attitude or illuminate it with positive role. In everything I do it is the power of choice that let me decides whether to imitate or invent my own style. I believe in the power of understanding things my own way. The power of choice has a survival value in my life.

It is the power of choice that let me decide whether to live a balanced life or a life full of extremity. One of the greatest dangers of life is not able to make your own choice. I believe in the power of exercising my freedom of self-determination by freely choosing to live in any country of my choice. I choose to live in America because of its crucial believe in democracy. I choose to live in a country where a maximum opportunity of participation is granted. In almost all, perhaps all of my life I have never allowed others to determine my principles or priorities. It is the power of choice that allows me to seek out alternative and independent sources of knowledge. This I believe in choice…..

I believe in the power of responding to the constant stream of my choices. It is the power of choice that guides me at my job. It is the choice that guides me to make clarity in my work. In the world of earning a living you have to make a choice between honesty with self versus dishonesty and self critique versus non-self-critique. This I believe in the power of choice…..

Ibtisam   

^^^ i agree. MAybe if i squint one eye and close the other eye, i could think of AMerica as the home of democracy

I believe in the power of choice.

i agree with that much.

Ms DD   

Salaam Aleykum

I think the topic starter has placed so much confidence in himself with regards to choosing the right thing.

Where does what Allah chose for us come in that long list?

I know we are given a choice to either believe or not to. We are also given an Aqal to make the right choice.

The comment

"I choose to live in America because of its crucial believe in democracy."

I nearly choked in my coffee. Patriotic Act mean anything to you? What choice do you have but to choose what America wants?

STOIC   

I believe that a perfect democracy can not be attained in its entirety in any where around the world due to real life constraints, but some countries do experience some higher level of democracy than other nations. You will agree with me that in every country a substantial gap exist between what we would refer to democratic nation and what we would call undemocratic nation. Some countries-including the one I grew up in- lack some or all major political institutions that may lay the foundation for democracy. I and you do make consensus on what we believe to be democratic depending on the judgment we make of the nations we grew up in or our adopted nation. How did I come to the consensus that America was a democratic nation?

I depended on my empirical judgment on what I have witnessed living in America compared to my birth nation. I reasonably come to the above conclusion by examining the political institution of America. This country has adopted a policy of effective participation of its citizens. Every citizen in this nation has equal and effective opportunities to raise his voice to be heard. I am not a political theorist and some in that field would argue that total equality is not plausible when we obligate that role to a government. I carefully examined my human experience with the element of democracy. I believe that it is here in America where I found free and frequent elections, alternative source of information, elected officials and an inclusive citizenship that doesn’t discriminate on the base of color, race and religion when matters of right to vote are being addressed. It is here in America where you and I have the right to voice our opinion in order our views to be known. Now some may say that the patriotic Act has limited the free expression of the citizens and I do agree with it in some sense.But at least it is here in America where I hear matters that bearing to government conduct such as the Patriotic Act being addressed freely in the media.

America is a democratic nation in my own judgments because of the control of the military and police power by elected officials. When the police power and military control is not governed by the elected officials’ democratic society will be unlikely to survive. I know you might be asking yourself whether I forgot how countries such as America used its military power with the approval of its elected official in invading a foreign country without any probable cause. Some times and I agree with you if you still with me that some leaders can be dangerous when they have the power to cause a coercion of submission. This is a too complex of an issue for me to address. Even though democracy is a system of rights sometimes democracy can be limited by the leaders of the country. I do believe that America has provided a maximum opportunity for me to exercise my moral judgment without the fear of retaliation. Where else can I sit in a place eight hours of my working shift arguing with them that Ayan Hirsi was a publicity seeker even though she was arguing the same point my co-workers defend to the last breath?

PS I added Ayan story because I had a long argument on Monday with my co-workers after they watched Ayan on Sixty Minute on Sunday

RedSea   

I don't believe in Democracy period. It's man made system full of errors and wrongs, but Islam is the perfect system and thus perfect and in it,I believe.

STOIC   

Isn't it funny how people are extremely difficult and unpleasent when they are choke full of arrogance? Some of the above response do appear to be rebarbative. Its either you want to engage or your screen name is there to iritate.You might as well read it silently-just like how I do when I have nothing to say about the subject at hand-and let others have their opinions.

STOIC   

So what disappointed you amigo, is it the democracy part or the response above your comment? I am curious about your bitingly sarcastic observation.