Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

blonde bombshell, ravishing redhead or blah burnette?

Ok, fine. The blonde is a bad idea; I haven't come across a black girl who looked good with yellow hair unless she has really fair skin. So cross out the blonde.

But lately I've been thinking about colouring my plain black hair a wild colour- bright pink or neon green or purple. But to take baby steps I've purchased this new product:

FLIRT ALERT

Summer isn't the time for commitment. Flings are the thing as it heats up outside. Which is why HERBAL ESSENCES COLORFLIRT MOUSSE ($7.99 - $9.99) is perfect for the gal looking to add a little colour to her life (and hair) without thinking long-term. The ammonia and peroxide-free formula comes in nine shades and lasts eight to twelve washes. And remember: the longer you leave it in, the more intense the colour. Available in drugstores and mass retailers in September.

77-bl-12.jpg

Its perfect for those of us who are commitment phobic; and it lets you see what looks good on you and if for some reason you decide it looks hideous; no worries, fades away in only 12 washings.

Anywho, I bought a red one. I'm thinking, do I have to bleach my hair so the red colour could stick? And what if I put the blonde colour on - of course that won't change it from pitch black to blonde, but would it be a sort of light brown? I plan on doing it on my own.

So any suggestions, whats the best colour on a black girl? And if you colour ur hair, what product do you swear by? What about the whole damage-hair-falling-off-baldspots thing?

P.S. This excludes men. I'm sorry but the thought of a man colouring or highlighting his hair makes my skin crawl. *cough* gay *cough*

hodman   

what happened to the idea of guys being post-modern? Thought that included being able to put a little subtle color :D so where does that leave all the somali guys who color their hair mise daawo madoobayso is not a color guys?

Anyway try rich Auburn that's a pretty color and not too loud.

Nephissa   

If your current color is jet black then, you'll have to strip your hair with peroxide until it's white, so that it's light enough to accept the color, and then dye over it with the red or blonde. Or maybe you could do both? Buy that cap they use at the salons, pull some hair through and dye first half red, and the 2nd blonde..repeat it. That'll give you redish gold brown? no? If worst comes to worst Xijaab dhakab isku sii for couple of days. And start all over. Try another color!

I've been dying my hair for 10 years, you name the colour I've probably had it. I've had blonde streaks for the last 3 years, but everywhere I look, loads of people with the same. So, for the first time I'm letting my natural color come through. Also if I don't stop dying it, I'll probably be bald by the time I'm 30.

I use Henna sometimes too mixed with olive oil and eggs. I keep it on over night. Gives me silky brownish looking hair.

G'luck ruining your hair. :D

Edited:

77-bl-12.jpg

Doesn't that ^^^ look like Xaaar?

Castro   

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

If worst comes to worst Xijaab dhakab isku sii for couple of days.

The things you get away with around here. :rolleyes:

Modesty   

Bisharo

use Henna sometimes too mixed with olive oil and eggs. I keep it on over night. Gives me silky brownish looking hair.

I heard it's not good to sleep with henna.

Anyways, Stay natural!

Ah.. the dreadfull hair-coloring art.

I'm thinking, do I have to bleach my hair so the red colour could stick?

Hon, what do you mean by bleaching? bleaching as in blond, then red? I wouldnt recommend you to do this little experiment of yours at home cuz a lot can go wrong :D and trust me when I say that am speaking from experience :( . The best option is to go to the salon near you and consult with a hairstylist. But if the salon aint your favorite place to be at, then try mixing two bold colors, preferably red and blonde. dye the hair dark red, then apply streaks of blond to emphasise the red. If you have fair skin(and I dont mean "light" skin)this will truely accentuate your skin color.

-----------------------------------------------

Get Up!Up Even the best fall down sometimes

Waxaan ka baqaa gabdhaheenii quruxda badnaa in la arko iyagoo bidaar leh sida ay daawo iyo cosmetic iskula dhacayaan! :D Kuwii isku dayay inay is cadeeyaan, waala ogaa waxa ku dhacay maqaarka jirkooda: barabaro ayey yeesheen.

The girl who dissatisfies with her complexion and physical appearance is not only suffering from lack of self-esteem, but she is also suffering from dearth of iimaan, or may be knows nothing about Allah's will. Raising your daughter in western countries has many implications, among them is causing her to despise her skin color and making her violate the natural disposition of her perfect design.

Pucca   

^easy there sir, its just hair color; but about the skin coloring thing...i agree its totally wrong!

i suggest you try temp highlights...in almost every color before deciding to fully color your hair.

red's my fav and it looks hot on both dark and light folks...rich auburn with a lighter toned red does wonders.

as for bleaching-makes-you-go-bald....NOT true...i probably have the most fine (thin) hair in history; but alhamdulilaah with all the chemicals i pour into it; they're still there.

take a leap and try something bold and totally not you *maybe pink highlights?..and ofcourse not bright pink* its only temp; so play around...

oh and there are many haircoloring products that have natural ingredients...however the colors dont catch on as much.

GOOD luck! ^_^

Thnx for the tips, beau femmes.

How disappointing the mousse was. I brushed the globby orange mass into my hair, left it for the prescribed thirty minutes, washed and blow-dried carefully, step-by-step, reading the guide all the while. Then I stood in front of the mirror and slowly opened my eyes- I stared at shock at my pitch black hair. I quickly closed and opened them, but nothing changed.

I guess I shouldn't ignore the labels; it said it works for hair from light blonde to dark brown. Not black; but in typical fashion, I thought it would be different for me. I guess the salon is the only option then; arrrrrr. Maybe next year.

Alle-Ubaahne,

The girl who dissatisfies with her complexion and physical appearance is not only suffering from lack of self-esteem, but she is also suffering from dearth of iimaan, or may be knows nothing about Allah's will. Raising your daughter in western countries has many implications, among them is causing her to despise her skin color and making her violate the natural disposition of her perfect design.

Yes. My Imaan is so low; I need a change of hair colour to raise it a few notches. Thanks Mr. Psychaitrist. icon_razz.gif

Nephissa   

suntaan aad madaxa iskaga shubeysid iska jooji,

Looool, walahi that sounds like my Hooyo. :D

Shaize, there goes my 1000th post! I'm officially a post wh0re! Wait up Ahura, here I come.. :D

^

LoooL@whore. Wlc to the 1000post members club.

I dont have a problem with the hair coloring bizness. It adds a lil some some to the whole 'modern xalimo' look. smile.gif My personal favorite is the blonde xalimo. "Negra Blonda" they say.loool

But what about them typical xalimos with timo "Bis Qoleey" leh,who for some strrange reason decide to have baruuko added to her hair? I would like to know xisaabtaas,please Xalimos help me out here. :confused:

And if you decide to do that,give a farax some heads up before i go all romantic and start giving out my 'world renowned scalp massage'. Dude; Them Bumps from the baruko can slow down a Dale Earnhardt vehicle. :D