Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Hamas announces ceasefire in Gaza

Ibtisam   

The ceasefires follow three weeks of intense fighting. The Palestinian militant group Hamas has announced an immediate ceasefire with Israel in Gaza.

A statement read by a Hamas spokesman said the group would hold fire for a week to give Israel time to withdraw its forces from the Gaza Strip.

The move came hours after a
unilateral Israeli ceasefire came into effect.

The cessation of hostilities was earlier cast into doubt by fresh rocket fire into Israel and an Israeli air strike on militants in Gaza.

Hamas' deputy chief in Syria, Moussa Abou Marzouk, said the ceasefire was in the name of all "Palestinian resistance factions".

"We... announce a ceasefire of our factions in the Gaza Strip and we stress that our demand is the withdrawal of the enemy forces from the Gaza Strip within a week, along with the opening of all the crossings for the entry of humanitarian aid, food and other necessities for our people in the Gaza Strip."

Israelis and Palestinians give their views on Israel's ceasefire announcement

In pictures

The group said the ceasefire would be temporary unless Israel met these long-standing demands.

The BBC's Bethany Bell, on the Israeli side of the border with Gaza, says Israeli helicopters and drones have been flying overhead and Israeli troops are on high alert.

Many people are hoping that a ceasefire will last, but no-one on either side of the border will be surprised if the fighting starts up again, our correspondent adds.

Rocket fire

Hamas's leader in exile, Khaled Meshaal, will make an "important" announcement in Syria on Sunday afternoon regarding Israel's ceasefire, the Associated Press news agency reported.

Israel, whose ceasefire came into effect at 0200 (2400 GMT) has said its troops will stay in Gaza for as long as necessary.

Hours later, at least 18 rockets were fired into Israel, Israeli sources said, triggering an Israeli air strike in response.

One rocket hit a house in Ashdod, injuring lightly two people, police said.

The stopping of rocket fire had been a chief aim of the military campaign.

Israeli troops killed a Palestinian near the southern Gazan town of Khan Younis on Sunday morning, reports from Gaza said. If confirmed, the death would be the first fatality since the ceasefire began.

At least 1,300 Palestinians, according to Palestinian sources, and 13 Israelis have been killed since Israel launched its offensive on 27 December.

Palestinian medics say at least 50 bodies have been pulled from the rubble since Israel halted its offensive.

Meanwhile, heads of state from across Europe are in Egypt for a summit with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Palestinian Authority leader Mahmoud Abbas and UN chief Ban Ki-moon to try to shore up the ceasefire.

They will discuss how to make the ceasefire durable and respected by Hamas, how to get aid to Gaza and beginning the process of rebuilding there.

But the BBC's Laura Trevelyan, who is at the summit in Sharm El Sheikh, says with neither Israel or Hamas attending, there are questions about how much can be achieved and whether this will amount to more than a gigantic photo opportunity by those who want to help resolve the conflict .

^War fiican. aad iyo aad ayaad u saxsan tahay. Imagine if you were not around to point the obvious eh? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (yes, the special inaguration is on the "19th" of January and the real one is on the next day. :cool: )

Ibti, how do you feel about the sudden "unexpected" ceasefire?

As an advocate for peace and part of ineffective social movement(not your fault by any account), that is far from being ideal, don't you think it would have been better for ceasefire to take place prior to the ground invasion?

I just want to pick your brain because I want to find out what your views are politically as a movement?

I know where you stand as far as advocating for peace, calling out injustice everywhere etc but I want to know your political views regarding this on/off ceasefire that always comes in the expense of thousands of innocent human lives. Don't you think that you should be picketting fence's on behalf of the palestinian people by condemning the hamas group who are just as much to blame as the yahuuda??

N.O.R.F   

^You are yet to tell us how Hamas are 'as much to blame' as yahuuda. Come on now LG, its been 3 weeks and we haven't been obliged with your thorough knowledge of the region and the this case in particular. You did promise us remember?

Don't run now smile.gif

Run where? and who is us? The last thing I remember about you was adoo guardian articles left and right meesha kusoo aruurisay. As for NG, the man who made the inquiry, he and I reached a decision which was acceptable to both of us weeks ago.(pay attention ya filastini or atleast consult your buddy before aad meesha isku soo sharaxdo)

PS: When and if you decide to engage in a mature discussion, markaas lee aniga iyo adiga hadleenaa, inta kahoreysa, point the finger at all directions ya filastini.

N.O.R.F   

Edit

Mature discussion and LG don't mix dear :D

I take it you're not prepared to explain why you think Hamas is 'as much to blame'? Not surprised smile.gif

^I know inaad broken record tahay but since you have a problem with that statement, explain to me why that isn't so, why the hamas groups and all militias operating in that region are blameless and why their leaders are far away, safely tugged somewhere? C'mon, I am here, you might as well take advantage of this moment and start this long awaited debate. ;) (I promise I will go easy on you)

N.O.R.F   

Don't worry I'll take it easy on you let you READ the link in the first post of this thread. Once you've done that, come back with your comments. I hope it enlightens you (and others).

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by LayZie G.:

^I don't do links...You either are going to engage in a discussion or be gone until the next time aan adoo meelaha ordaya kugu arko.

I'll take that as a concession,,,,,,,,,