Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Desert Flower: The Dubai Thread.

I don't understand why we glorify the slight progress of the few dying Arabs who are nothing without the oil. We Somalis were supposed to help the Arabs in general, and all muslims. We've the largest seashore in the Africa. Our population is ever increasing, though they undermine us with the 10 million figure we're at the time of independance, and there are more and more opportunities in the country. Every where in somalia is livable and in fact that is impossible if you were in Dubia.

No farming lands, no pastural resources, no livestocks and no nothing at all except the flow of the anytime-to-stop oil. Please, I urge you brothers to stop bullying with the Masaakiinta Carabta ah, because if you can't help them overcome the current system of Gaalo invation on them, then you've no right to bash about their visible miseries.

They are our brothers in major crisis, all we've to do is pray for them to come clean from the disorientation of the oil money. Building centers does never equil to real progress. Real progress accurs in the heart, and a willing heart for progress finds no obstacle in againing every doible achaivements. Let's work on for our country and make some changes in there, instead of speaking about the small symbolic landmarks in the Arab cities.

:D aaway gabadhii shaaha karineysay meeshan!

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Viking:

Such a gesture does indeed hurt westerners, you know why? Because if a litre of petrol costs 1 pound, they collect 75p, 75% of a pound we spend on fuel. As for Israel, they are still occupying Palestine (more of it since they built the wall) and killing an average of four Palestinians a day, displacing and making them homeless by the thousands. Most of them live below the poverty line; but hey, they should atleast be thankful for the "gesture".

At the end of the day, some Muslims are trying to build the tallest building in the world, while their brethren are without shelter and eating dried grass straws. How do you justify that? What will they say when Allah SWT asks them how they spent their wealth on the Day of Reckonning? [/QB]

Heh. Like I said, what the Western governments do and don’t do should not come into play when we’re discussing Muslim contributions. It really is not some kind of race, saaxib. Your argument (or at least the way it comes across to me) is that they don’t do much (or anything at all)! I set out to explain that they indeed do a lot to help their Muslim brothers.

Now, the next argument might be that they don’t do enough (which is probably why you used Western statistics and contributions in your posts). How much is enough? How do you measure enough? Is the UAE government the only one expected to do it all? Why single them out? Do we accept them as our Muslim leaders then?

If this was the case, then there isn’t much I could add here, it’s a difference of opinion and the way we see things I suppose.

Just a quikc google

Another instant google - I bet there are many more

Of course the Arabs do something. But if I would send a penny to a starving child in Africa, while I'm a millionaire, would I deserve credit of helping here? Of course not. This is exactly the case with the Arabs.

I was fuming with anger when I heard an Arab sheikh offering $ 15 mln USD for the victims of 9/11. What about the victims in the air raid by the US in Khartoum, razing a promising medicine manufacturer to the ground? Or when another Arab sheikh bought a necklace worth $40 mln USD for his daughter?

Even Westerners themselves loath the extravagant lifestyle of those Arabs. They also treat non-Arabs, including Somalis like dirt. I read a book of a Danish woman who used to live in Saudi Arabia. The whole book is about the pity she has for the shallow Arabs and she praises the Somalis in her book for being honest, friendly, strong and able to cope with the Arabs.

But what disgusts me and affects my country in a terrible way is their unfounded ban of Somali livestock or more importantly they are responsible of the destruction of Somalia's flora and fauna. Our precious acacia trees and animal wildlife are sold by Somalis to the rich Arabs, while Arabs themselves invest $7.000 USD per tree in their lifeless deserts. Why do Somalis sell their national heritage? Because of the import ban by the Arabs on Somali livestock. If there's something wrong with our livestock, how come there are no epidemics in Somalia due to our 'bad meat'? I can't understand it when Somalis defend the Arabs. You lads are a minority among Somalis and for a reason.

They may have been the 'chosen people' by Allah swt, but like the Jews they are squandering their blessing.

Viking   

NGONGE,

Muslims should help other Muslims instead of gaalo coming to our rescue. I appreaciate what the non-Muslims do, but would expect more of these oil-rich nations. The link you provided said that the UAE provided $2 million to Somalia, just compare that to the $26 million ONE Swedish organisation is donating to help children of Darfur. You live in London, just go to the Chelsea/Kensington area in the summer and see how these Sheikhs and royal families live. Do you seriously think they are doing their best to help Muslims in dire straits?

UAE is the one we are talking about because this topic was about the extravagant structures they are erecting in Dubai. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain et al. should also do more.

NGONGE   

But what disgusts me and affects my country in a terrible way is their unfounded ban of Somali livestock or more importantly they are responsible of the destruction of Somalia's flora and fauna. Our precious acacia trees and animal wildlife are sold by Somalis to the rich Arabs, while Arabs themselves invest $7.000 USD per tree in their lifeless deserts. Why do Somalis sell their national heritage? Because of the import ban by the Arabs on Somali livestock. If there's something wrong with our livestock, how come there are no epidemics in Somalia due to our 'bad meat'? I can't understand it when Somalis defend the Arabs. You lads are a minority among Somalis and for a reason.

They may have been the 'chosen people' by Allah swt, but like the Jews they are squandering their blessing. [/QB]

Read the following link, saaxib. Might help you come up with stronger arguments :D

Livestock ban

The loss of that particular argument doesn't effect my perspective. I would love to share with you my views about the Arabs, but I have no time right now. Perhaps later Ngonge.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Viking:

NGONGE,

Muslims should help other Muslims instead of gaalo coming to our rescue. I appreaciate what the non-Muslims do, but would expect more of these oil-rich nations. The link you provided said that the UAE provided $2 million to Somalia, just compare that to the $26 million ONE Swedish organisation is donating to help children of Darfur. You live in London, just go to the Chelsea/Kensington area in the summer and see how these Sheikhs and royal families live. Do you seriously think they are doing their best to help Muslims in dire straits?

UAE is the one we are talking about because this topic was about the extravagant structures they are erecting in Dubai. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain et al. should also do more.

Heh. Would you want them to live in poverty as a sign of empathy with their fellow Muslims, saaxib?

People are allowed to be rich, saaxib. Giving and helping is an obligation but no limit was set on how much one should give. It is left to the discretion of the giver! The fact is that they do give. They’re not as aloof and disinterested as you paint them. The $2 million was but one example (a five second google job). However, I get the feeling that even if I should fill the page with dozens of links proving that these people do indeed give, you will still have a problem with them because of the big buildings and the money some of them spend in the streets of London!

Salma   

Originally posted by Nationalist:

Of course the Arabs do something. But if I would send a penny to a starving child in Africa, while I'm a millionaire, would I deserve credit of helping here? Of course not. This is exactly the case with the Arabs.

I was fuming with anger when I heard an Arab sheikh offering $ 15 mln USD for the victims of 9/11. What about the victims in the air raid by the US in Khartoum, razing a promising medicine manufacturer to the ground? Or when another Arab sheikh bought a necklace worth $40 mln USD for his daughter?

1- First of all thats the Saudi Prince "AlWaleed Bin Talal", and nobody likes him anyway, he invests in the Westerns Hotels, Walt Disney and he is so attached to the western celebrities like Wacko Jacko ...etc. Don' tell me you consider all the Arabs like AlWaleed Bin Talal, do you?!

2- Guyz, there are many muslims who spent their money on their pleasures and luxurious things. For example like Sultan of Bruney who spent big amounts of money, jewels and precious stones on his life and specially on his daughter's wedding ceremony or any other president or leader?? SO why concetrating on those Arabs who r doing the same.

3- mmm and now you are talking about a Danish lady's book. Don't be so proud of her book, you'll find another Danish person who is attacking the Somali ppl. Common 4 god sake, be realistic & fair!!

OG: I need a Panadole, I thought its enough the Darfur topic in the politic section.

P.S. Shehrazade: Iam in Abu Dhabi dear and u r most welcomed in UAE. About the "Wasta" thing Iam sure its everywhere NOT ONLY in UAE ;)

OG_Girl   

^^ Is by force!! Give us money or you are not a good Muslim? Since Adam and Eve there was rich and poor, what is that you don't understand about Arabs?.. You guys don't remember Islam unless you see Arabs?! Do your part then blame others!!!

Wallah 7alah ahowa '39ab? :rolleyes:

Classique, I am sure shahnazade did not mean only in UAE , even in UK there is "wasta" ;) .

Salam

Salma   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

^^ Is by force!! Give us money or you are not good Muslim? Since Adam and Eve there was rich and poor, what is that you don't understand about Arabs?.. You guys don't remember Islam unless you see Arabs?! Do your part then blame others!!!

Wallah 7alah ahowa '39ab? :rolleyes: Salam

If our brothers/sisters in SOL are really after The "Muslims help 2 their muslim bros".

I wonder why nobody is talking about Bruney,Malasyia,Indonesia,Nigeria and Turkey. Coz all eyes on Arabs ONLY!!!

Classique, I am sure shahnazade did not mean only in UAE , even in UK there is "wasta"

OG-G: Honey, Wasta in everywhere even in the Permuda Triangle you'll find some wasta there :D

Iam sure there are some Nomads here who bought spacious and luxurious apartments in the Nakheel,Emaar,Telal, and Fountains Villas and Apartments projects n Dubai LOOL.

If I ONLY know their names I can expose them here :D

How lovely constructions and skycrapers ;)

Jumatatu   

One thing I find odd is why do Somalis generally think they have legitimacy over what belongs to others. I have noticed in this thread a common factor within the Somali charecteristics. When is it a God written law that the wealth of the rich Arabs belong to us first and foremost, and if they dont give it to us then they are sinners.

I have seen Somalis who came to this countries (western world) as refugess and yet claim that the welfare they get is their God given right. Strange, when they are interviewed by the welfare agencies you will hear them say we want our rights. Damn what is their rights

they have been fed and housed cause they are poor and without a country and yet they claim to have a right. To top it up all they have no gratitude.

NGONGE   

Juma, you Arab lover! What do you mean Somalis expect to have rights? We do of course, we are the best in the world and in our capacity as the best in the world, everyone should kowtow at our feet and do things our way. Or else, they’re filthy, idiotic “peasants†who do not appreciate the great gesture we bestowed on them by noticing their existence in the first place. :mad:

Does this sound unreasonably bitter at all? :D

lol@jumatatu. Oh my.

Viking, tall business towers, IT corrodors, tourist villas are not built for nothing. They are part of a business strategy to generate more revenue for the state. In other words, these business investments are made to attract more business from around the world. It is so far workig very well. I look at these buildings as a muslim business expanding and trying to do well. I commend countries like Malaysia and UAE for moving forward with investments in infrastructure, education and tourism. I would rather see these investments made rather than see few farts depositing the oil money in swiss banks. As for the help for other muslim, I think that starts at the local level first. I wish them well. Upward mobility.

-Lily-   

I for one thing its a good idea, its about time people started associating technology, modernism and brains with the Middle East, as opposed to all the negativity of this part of the world.

We have no idea of exactly how much these ppl spend on poor muslims. It is not a crime to have money. Secondly, human beings are not SAINTS or appointed prohphets (at least in our time).

DraGon   

I am happy for the developments thats going on in

dubai. But I think the most important development is human development. If you look at world economical, educational and political indexes you will see that Arab countries are falling behind.

Can you believe not even one of the Arabian universities is ranked among the top 500 best Universities in the world??

The developments that is going on in Arab is not as a result of there respective society ingenuity or wishes but the desires of the ruling elites who wish to prove to the world that some Arab countries are as advanced as any western countries.

This is all form over substance, an indepth look will prove all this physical development is made possible by foreigners. Not only is this country economical development due to foreign expertise but also political and social life is defined by foreigners

Just pick the local paper (english) of any of this arab countries and see who are the

editors.

In contrast Israel as a country has invested alot of there resources on human developments and as a result israel is a leading nation in production, research and development.

Why cant Dubai achieve the same????

I wont be suprised if Dubai has a higher income per capita compared to Israel but I can almost guarentee you more Israelis are happy with ther nation than there arab counterparts.