Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

'We can no longer afford to hire maids'

Faynuus   

looooool@qarxis.com, aleylehe waxbaa ka raacay.

There are many somali maids but they work illegaly becouse according to UAE law, nationals of the 22 arab countries can not be hired as maids. That is how it was few years back but I don't know now.

it looks like each country has cornered it's own part of the market

somali women ............ dahab

asians...................... maids

russians..................... (you know)

who am i missing ?

Khayr   

The prospective housemaid also has to be
above 30 years old
and she has to be given a mobile phone within two weeks of her arrival in the UAE.

Why above 30yrs old? Whats being implied here? :D

somali women ............ dahab

asians...................... maids

russians..................... (you know)

Saxib,

what should we know about russians? :D

Why are the philipino's paid the highest? Is their "commodity" of more value then the other groups?

Miriam1   

^ Northerner, I wouldn't suggest it honestly, from the point of view of a person who grew up with more than 6 different maids since the age of 5, if you have the option of one parent staying home with the children, its always preferable. My parents didn't and I always understood that and it wasn't a negative experience on the whole but no one can replace your own family.

Haneefa, to be honest I am not sure what the logic around it was, but I remember clearly at some point in the 90's everyone decided to switch to Filipino maids. My family did it too, for one they spoke better English, which helped alot if you were trying to teach your kids the language and also they were seen to be more adaptable than the Indians.

There can be an entire research study done on this honestly.

Originally posted by ThePoint:

Haha. Gazans can barely stay alive but these guys are worried about this.

Imagine the magnitude of work those filipinas would do had they worked in Gaza?

No one has a legitimate answer as to the reason why Filipinas are paid more? Are they better workers? Personally,i have a theory but i dont want to dwell on it smile.gif

Interesting.

Is it true that a large number of "off-the-boat" Somali girls are turned into prostitutes in Dubai by Somali "pimps" who are smuggling these young girls into UAE by the hundreds? Have we become just like the Ethiopians? I heard most Somalis in Dubai know about this sad story and they can't do anything about it.

Chimera   

why hearsay brother?

Somali business capital is Dubai, Somalis have a real presence there and they are probably the most close-knit community in the whole Somali diaspora, if this hearsay story was really true they would have been delt with along time ago, since many Somali men are also police officers there and crack downs on prostitution bars happen all the time where only poor girls from Eastern Europe are saved

read:

http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewArticle.asp?id=22745

Must be due to hard work! The average Philipino have two jobs down here, while other Asians like the vietnamese and arab league members e.g somalis hardly hold a job.

I had few of them in my college and oh boy, these guys had more than a full-time job, while studying full-time.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

Interesting.

Is it true that a large number of "off-the-boat" Somali girls are turned into prostitutes in Dubai by Somali "pimps" who are smuggling these young girls into UAE by the hundreds? Have we become just like the Ethiopians? I heard most Somalis in Dubai know about this sad story and they can't do anything about it.

Say whaaaat? :eek:

No such thing is happening saxib. Don't believe what you hear. Many visitors would attest to that.

Aaliyyah   

subhanalah, if such things are taking place may Allah swt curse those who are smuggling those girls into the UAE.

But, then those girls are to blame as well? we are all responsible for our actions, we can not point out at other ppl and be like oh someone forced me to do it. At the end of the day it is your choice. I guess those who are smuggling the young girls in UAE are manipulating those young girls in terms of saying oh you gonna make lota money etc, and if that young girl is in financial need then she might be susceptible to be persuaded bt still that doesnt make her innocent and free of guilt.

p.s. Northerner, lets hope such things aren't happening.