Sign in to follow this  
ElPunto

UAE bi*tchslaps Canada - New Visa requirement for entry

Shukaansi kulahaa. Of course, comfort u baahantahay, especially long flight haddee tahay. And of course it would help more if great flight attendants saaranyihiin.

From point A to Z kulahaa, sheekadaas yaree. Haddee dhab kaa tahay, Air Canada Jazz u raac London, cariirigeeda. I wish it served international flights.

Adiga su'aasha ka jawaab, waligaa Emirates ma raacday?

Somalina   

^Waan raacay from London to Dubai, n I admit it is a lot nicer than AC laakiin uma baahnin competitionkooda ma garatey (as a Canadian), dawlada si fiican bey yeeshey by protecting our beloved AC's investors.

p.s. Jazz weligeey ma raacin for that reason aad soo bandhigtey.

Blessed   

Canadian troops were forced to pull out of Camp Mirage last week in retaliation for the federal government’s refusal to allow UAE carriers Emirates and Etihad Airways to land more often at Canadian airports.

I'm glad this has happened, even if the motivation was commercial, the end result has khayr in it. Good on ya, UAE.

ElPunto   

^The base closure is fine - it's that the UAE is abusing Canada with the new visa rules. And the Canadian government shouldn't take it lying down. Time for retaliation.

As MMA says - Air Canada sucks. Why protect a carrier that offers poor service and high costs?You would assume a Conservative government would be pro free markets and competition but strangely enough not. This Conservative government seems hapless on the foreign policy front. A little while ago they got slapped down at the UN and lost a Security Council seat for the first time.

Experts are blaming Canada's failure to win a seat on the United Nations Security Council on its foreign policy, not political division, a day after Tuesday's surprise loss in New York.

Paul Heinbecker, Canada's former ambassador to the UN and a leading critic of the government's foreign policy, said many of Canada's decisions -- including decreased African aid, its support of Israel, and its stance on climate change and peacekeeping -- are unpopular with the international community.

Still, Heinbecker said, it is a painful loss.

"It's a big disappointment, and it's a shock," he said.

Stephen Harper's government faced criticism early on for not having a cohesive foreign policy. In 2006, Harper attempted to bolster his foreign policy credentials, boasting "Canada's back, as a vital player on the global stage."

Ngonge - at least in a democratic country - you would get a little debate, even behind closed doors. Government officials in the Arab world seem to make many decisions on whim and tantrum.

Blessed   

..like Canada was 'abusing' them? They've been seeking visa reciprocity for a while now, I guess they just needed someone to p*ss them off into action.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by ElPunto:

Ngonge - at least in a democratic country - you would get a little debate, even behind closed doors. Government officials in the Arab world seem to make many decisions on whim and tantrum.

Heh. Democracy has nothing to do with BUSINESS. If the shoe was on the other foot, Canada would have done the same (in fact, I bet they would have gone even further).

By the way, when it is political and involves the whole state, there is no such thing as a whim. They would have thought long and hard about this decision before making it.

ElPunto   

^Canada wasn't abusing them. They requested and were granted access to a military base free of charge. After the denial of increased flights it was appropriate for the UAE to kick Canada out of the base. Tit for tat. But this new visa requirement, the only such one for a western country, is an escalation and therefore 'abuse'.

I did hear about the reciprocity thing but they haven't moved on that for a long time. Anyway it's at odds with their stated economic policies - which is to become a centre for tourism and commerce. If that is really your objective - it wouldn't matter whether X country lets your citizens visa free. UAE policy would strive to minimize entry requirements for most travellers/businessmen especially from rich nations. That's why I don't really buy that they were really seeking reciprocity. But it is a convenient response to their latest policy regarding Canadian passport holders.

ElPunto   

Ngonge - the visa rules have nothing to do with business. I'm sure you will agree. In fact they could potentially hamper business.

You don't think Arab governments operate on whim? The governance structure is made for it - dicatatorships and ruling families. Decree this and decree that is all you hear. Surely you will agree - the whole Kenyan thing was based on whim - because of a perceived affront to members of the Royal family. Or are you going to say that was another well thought out policy? icon_razz.gif

NGONGE   

^^ Israel is a supposed democracy, is it not? Did you see what they did to the British FM recently? :D

This is politics, saaxib. It is all about 'saving face' and hitting back with an equal insult. It is calculated and well thought out, never a whim (yes, even in Kenya's case).

Ismalura   

Originally posted by NinaNC:

^Shukaansi iyo fiirfiirso diyaarad uma koro, A to Z haddii aan safe u tago alxamdulilaah. Adiga masaajidka visit-kiisa iiga waran? maxaad Washamsi u baahantahay.

Canada weyku dhaartaan Air Canada walaalow ee hana dhaafaan Arabtaan iyo khamiiskoodaba. Goodbye basal cunayaal n dont come back.
:D
who cares about visa haddii lagu galaayo, wixii aada ayaanba la yaaba meelahaas.
icon_razz.gif

NinaNC walaaley maxaad saa oogu dheeraatay wadaadada. Awal hore waxaan arki jiray Arab-worshiping Somalis and I used to wonder why baryahan there is to much Arab bashing on SOL. Waxan waa all about siyaasad and bussiness and everyone is protecting their interest ee adiga if you can get a Muslim owned company that serves you better maxaad ku nici? Mise your loyalty to Canada is more important than everything else including your own comfort?

Tuujiye   

DR. Fen Hampson! lool I was shocked when I read his name lol how often do you open SOL and read something about one of your old professors lol..

Harper and his Conservative party will loose next election anyways so they better get all the money they can...

Air Canada's monopoly days will come to an end soon when private American compenies start to invest in West Jet and Porter... Airports cross Canada are getting larger and soon things will change...

Nina! West Jet wiligaa ha isku raacin.. loos iyo biyo kulul bee kugu beer goonayaan.. adoo laab dilaac ku haaye ayaa diyaarada ka daganee runtii...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Ismalura   

Originally posted by NinaNC:

baro lee iga ahayd saaxiibey...

Muslim magac keliya laguma noqdo sida aad la socoto, n we don't need khaliijigaan dollarka wareejinaayo. Canada comes second after Somalia of course.
smile.gif

Maya Muslim magaca kali ah weey ku yihiin; everyone who claims to be a muslim is one.

Dhinaca diyaaradaha anigaba I am quiet loyal to Canada lakiin if the Arabs give a better service than I can forget the loyalty and go with them ;)

Polanyi   

Originally posted by *Blessed:

quote: Canadian troops were forced to pull out of Camp Mirage last week in retaliation for the federal government’s refusal to allow UAE carriers Emirates and Etihad Airways to land more often at Canadian airports.

I'm glad this has happened, even if the motivation was commercial, the end result has khayr in it. Good on ya, UAE.
Indeed. Nuff said!

Waa yaabe, UAE growing a pair?. Good for them. If they only knew how to use their power for the benefit of their own people, they could do even more.

For those who are bashing UAE it is the largest trading partner for Somalia and thousand of Somalis live there and many do buisness or use it as a gateway to Europe and America.