Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Arsenal sign Reyes in £20m deal

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

reyes1115_pc.jpg

Arsenal are on the verge of breaking their transfer record with a swoop for one of Europe's brightest young talents, 20-year-old Spanish forward Jose Antonio Reyes.

Reyes will arrive at Highbury later this week to undergo a medical, with a view to completing a four-and-a-half-year deal that may be worth up to £20million after terms were agreed with Sevilla.

The one minor problem is that he could arrive with a one-match suspension hanging over him if the ban is transferred from Spain to England.

Then again, as his new manager, Arsene Wenger, joked: 'That just makes me think he has all the qualities to be an Arsenal player!'

Reyes admitted the move had taken place so quickly that it 'seems like a film' as Arsenal made clear their intention not to be muscled out of the transfer market by Manchester United or Chelsea.

Having studiously saved their cash for more than two years since the signings of Francis Jeffers and Giovanni van Bronckhorst for a total around £15million, Wenger has now finally made his move.

The deal is expected to cost Arsenal about £9million up front but, with a complicated bonus system based on appearances, goals and team success, the entire package could rise close to £20million.

And that would comfortably eclipse the Arsenal transfer record of a reported £13million paid for Sylvain Wiltord in 2000.

Wenger had been tracking Reyes for more than a year, having made an initial approach last July, and was initially lining up the talented Spain international for a summer move to Highbury.

But injuries to Wiltord and Jeremie Aliadiere, and Kanu's departure for the African Nations Cup, have stretched resources so that a strikeforce aged just 36 - Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, 17, and David Bentley, 19 - will start the Carling Cup semi-final second leg at Middlesbrough.

Wiltord, Kanu and Dennis Bergkamp are also out of contract this summer, leading Wenger to eclipse United's £12million move for Louis Saha earlier this month with his stealthy move for Reyes.

The Arsenal boss said: 'We have a game based on movement, technique and pace, and he has all of that. He is a good investment as he's 20 and is already an international.

'He can play everywhere, up front, on the left flank or even on the right, like any good offensive player. He can be adaptable and replace everybody, so we'll use him wherever we feel that we need him.

'If we buy a player, it's because we can afford him. When we buy young players, we make the price conditional on achievements, success and all that.'

Reyes' impending arrival at Highbury has left Wenger insisting that there will be no more signings - either this month or in the summer.

That means their initial bid for Feyenoord's Robin van Persie will not be increased, while interest in Jermain Defoe will also be shelved.

'If we buy now, then we don't buy in the summer. If we sign him, we will not buy anybody else,' he stated, with his £20million budget now effectively exhausted.

Reyes, who has won three caps for Spain and scored 21 goals in 84 Primera Liga appearances for Sevilla, is, perhaps crucially, eligible to play in the Champions League for Arsenal.

He was contracted to Sevilla until 2010, but his move has dramatically eased the Spanish club's financial problems.

'I'm the happiest man and the saddest man in the world at the same time,' he said on his personal website.

'I'm leaving the best team in Spain to join the best team in England.

'There is no doubt this is a huge step forward in my career, but I am not forgetting I am leaving the club I love with all of my heart and it has all happened so quickly that it seems like a film.

'I thank God that my sale has fulfilled what I always said - that it has left a good payday for the club and that I am going to spectacularly improve everything.

'I have never been so nervous, and I am remembering a lot of things and a lot of people who have supported me.

'I am upset that I am leaving the fans without saying goodbye, but I hope to return one day and hope they won't forget me.'

Now rest assured folks that We wont worry to much about Bergkamp growing old since we got ayoung talent by the name of Reyes come in step in his shoes. I trully believe we got the best player for the part and hopefully you will see Arsenal in avery different picture from now on.

Go Goooooneersss

wow, am postively fabergasted by the exuberance displayed by arsenal for oonce.

No doubt he is a quality younger player who will only make ur team stronger.

But it still wont change your overally problem, i.e. your over run with nearly men off club football, and u have too many premadoners.

still great move smile.gif

Did u see what happened to Roma by the way? If you did then you would know what the term premadonas means.

I cant see anyone who doesnt work his socks off mate in Arsenal. To play for a team like Arsenal is now a priveledge...in which case not even Madrid comes close let alone the Romas of this world. icon_razz.gif

hey whats up smile.gif long time man

argh fish n chibs fish n chibs :cool: just watch bro, he will come a great potential, perhaps have some good years, but in the end his talent would have been ruined by come to the premiership. just mark my words

lol true saxiib roma's squad sadly does house too many hasbeens that due to current omissions of first teame regualrs such as chivu n tommasi are taking there oppotunity to impress the dibous talents once more.

Am starting to worry that the strength or rather lake of it, of our sqaud might prove our un-doing. But with our full firs team we are a match for any team as our league position dispite only collecting 4 out of 9pts rceently shows.

arsenal today showed it has no intention of letting money come in the way of acquaring quality players, but whether Reyes is the kinda player arsenal needs is yet to be seen, honestly i dont know jack about this kid, but i know spanish players are exponential superior to the italians. I guess he will be a very good asset against Celta to begin with. i love young players they have more passion and got something to prove, i guess same was the deal with henry. in any case cant wait to see him play.

Thierry.   

Thats it boys know we have a young talented forwar/winger to take the goal scoring burden of my back.

Nice move by the gunners hope he lives up to his expectations

Baaniyal   

Must admit i am quite schocked with this excellent signing. Wenger has been chasing this kid for the last two seasons. I thought all hope was lost when he signed a new contract with Sevilla,keeping him there until 2010. Real Madrid came in with a 25 million pound bid in the summer,but the Sevilla president,said that he would never sell him to any Spanish club. I remember watching this kid this season against Real Madrid,he tore them up to pieces. Sevilla won that game 4-1. He is the Spanish version of Harry kewell,and Ryan Giggs. Him and Joacquin from Betis are the new hopes of Spain. This kid will make Arsenal's game more fluid,than it already was,and just improved Arsenal's chances of winning the CL. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be a step-over showcase like C.Ronaldo :D:D

Arsenal FC CL and PL Champions-Elect ;)

WENGER: REYES WILL FIT IN

Tuesday 27th January 2004

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is certain Spanish international Jose Reyes will fit in nicely with Arsenal's free-flowing attacking style.

The Frenchman feels that the 20-year-old former Sevilla forward's qualities will complement his new team-mates' ability.

"We have a game based on movement, technique and pace," Wenger told Arsenal.com. "Reyes has all that. "He is only 20-years-old and he is already an international. He can play as a striker, on the left or the right. In fact, anywhere as an offensive player.

"At Seville, he has played on his own up front or as a supportive striker. Recently he was playing on the left because they have gone for two tall strikers up front with a lot of crosses coming in."

Wenger had been tracking the player for the last two years and revealed that though he had thought he would not be buying players during the transfer window, injuries to his forward players made him rethink.

"(Sylvain) Wiltord has been out longer than expected, it is difficult to predict how long (Jeremie) Aliadiere will be out and Kanu is at the African Nations Cup," he continued.

"I said that if the right opportunity came along we would take it."

Cesc and Reyes

Never thought the EPL would get two of biggest young talents Spain has. It's surprising because usually they usually stay in la liga (why would they leave Spain?). As it turns out both @ Arsenal. smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

that may be worth up to £20million

:confused:

£8m to be exact and £20m based on:

appearances for club and country

trophies won, PL, CL, Cups etc

so dont get all up you arses, good player but lets just wait and see, the best way to judge a player is to see him play week in week out, tell u the truth the only footage i say of this guy was last year when he scored and his team mate bit his private parts while they were celebrating, yuk yuk :( , hope this aint repeated at Highbury,,,,,, :D

£20 million? my ar$$ --------nal :D

Northerner I can understand the envy here .....however, this guy has been proven in the Lalegaa and Wenger has been tracking him for along time and now he has his man ...it can only get better N I just hope we dont destroy most teams within the first 45.. smile.gif