Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Death row

I find governments taking away someone's life disturbing! How many people have they killed so far, that would have been innocent if they had the right technology. The entire system is flawed.

Honestly, God gives you life, and only God should take it away.

Castro   

^ Indeed. God should be the only who takes it. But I've been told that some people, right here on earth mind you, kill other people. The "should" goes out of the window at that exact moment. We as a society must intervene to right the wrongs of the wicked and evil doers. Those who have no respect for the sanctity of others' lives cannot expect that respect for themselves. Provided there is no doubt they've committed the act.

The man knew the law of the land. He broke it. Thought he could get away with it. Didn't. Are we supposed to feel sympathy for him? :confused:

Castro   

Originally posted by Ducaqabe:

How about an amputation for child molesters, rapists, sex offenders and pedophilers. A good method of deterrence?

You mean castration? Yeah. I'm all for that. Add to this list those who walk out on their kids to father other ones in different towns.

Kashafa   

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:

I find governments taking away someone's life disturbing! How many people have they killed so far, that would have been innocent if they had the right technology. The entire system is flawed.

You're not, by any chance, affiliated with the ACLU, are you ? Either that or the Roman Catholic Church. :D

Castro   

^ Castration is not a surgical procedure really but a chemical one (via injection). Nothing is physically removed but the idea is to reduce testosterone (and in turn, the sexually deviant urges). Some say it's cruel. I don't know. It's better than other things, like life in prison or even death. But does it work? I'm actually reading about (sexual) deviancy in humans at the moment and may be I'll share what I find out.

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:

Thats what i was saying. The Gov. iLLinois[A republican], came under fire sometime back becoz he let go of some brothas coz the DNA results showed them innocent.

The death penalty does not favor the poor and the disenfranchised, Time and time again we have seen rich people lawyer their way out of the electric chair[Read,OJ simpson,Robert Blake among many], while the poor get executed.A very good example: The Somalis beheaded in Saudi Arabia.

Originally posted by Rahima:

Smith or Howard would of have guaranteed more protest from both the Australian government and the people, but for the reason that it is Nguyen (even though he was born and raised in Australia) it matters not and all sleep whilst the days roll on to D-day for this young man.

This is disgusting and I truly do feel sorry for him. People make mistakes, drugs is certainly not a reason to end someone’s life.

A sense of solidarity for the fella Melbournian yaah . That is why I like Aussies, they stand up for you, when you are in trouble. :D

I think MP Wilson Tuckey is right, Nguyen was prepared to smuggle deadly drugs and didn't care about those that will die from it. He was prepared to do it and strapped nearly 400 grams of heroin to his body. He should also be prepared to pay for it.

There have been about 1300 executions in Singapore related to drugs since 1990 (roughtly about 86 people executed each year), and I can only assume that there are lots more waiting to be executed some with lesser charges than Nguyen, knowing that it only takes 15 grams of the drug to get a mandatory death sentense.

Just because he happens to be an Australian citizen and happens to have access to all the privileges that comes with it, doesn't mean that Singaporean laws should be twisted and turned for it. That is not a fairdinkom.

Rahima   

^It’s not that I believe that the Singaporean justice system is being extra hard on Mr. Nguyen, but rather that the whole stinking law needs to be changed.

^^ :D

I tell ya, there are lots of stinking laws that need to be changed in this world.

How the Singaporeans handled this case deserves applause, they didn't give into the Australian cocky demands as if they were the "regional police" that Mahatir Mohamed talked about.

Baluug   

I am all for capital and corporal punishment, as it is applied in the laws set out by Allah SWT in the Qur'an and by Muhammad SCW in the xadiis. A married adulterer gets stoned to death, a non-married adulterer gets 80(i think) lashes. And so on and so forth.

As for the justice system in America, it does not follow the Sharia, so it comes as no surprise to me, nor should it to anyone else, that it is very, very flawed, same as any other country where Sharia is not enforced as Allah SWT commanded in the Qur'an(before you start about the unfairness of Sharia law as applied in such countries as Saudi Arabia, please refer to where I said as Allah SWT commanded in the Qur'an, not as carried out by people like the self-centred rulers of countries such as Saudi Arabia, insha Allah they will have their Day of Judgement for whatever wrong they have done).

Rahima   

How the Singaporeans handled this case deserves applause, they didn't give into the Australian cocky demands as if they were the "regional police" that Mahatir Mohamed talked about.

Suldaanka this is not about politics, there is a human life at stake here. Don’t get me wrong, I too am often disgusted by the Aussie cockiness in this region but it still doesn’t change the fact that some young man who made a silly mistake is going to have to pay with his life. And all for what? So that they can stick it to the arrogant Australians? So that they can continue to uphold an inhumane law?

You’re right though, there are many ****** laws that need changing, but this is the one in the forefront at the moment.

This is what happens when the law of The Maker is not followed.