Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Troll, Shah and Sheeko

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by Malika:

Insha'allah! Gormee wax baraan jirtee,your either out partying or on SOL or at work..Lol

^ :D

Good q!

Juxa   

congrats old man ^^^ this is the 4th shahaado since aan ku aqaaney maasha allah.

why is the invitation written in english ninyow?

Today I sifted through 48 applications as we are looking to hire a new cashier. Yet again, there were quite a few resumes that brought either a chuckle or provided laugh-out-loud humour. There were one or two more people who said they are combatant who probably wish I thought they were competent (reference to post of a couple months ago). A few applicants have skills in treasure, which would no doubt make it easy for them as a cashier to replace whatever cash loss there may be from errors in bookkeeping. Though I don’t really remember some other funny typos, as they all began to run together, the very first line of the very first resume I opened set the tone, and seemed hilarious as I hadn’t grown tired and bored of the process yet. After the To: and Subject: lines, the first line of the cover letter reads:

Irreverence to your advertising concerning a vacant …

Although the candidate didn’t have the qualifications to be shortlisted and participate in the exam or interview stages, I did consider calling him to the office just to see if I’d want to hire him anyway. I might rather like someone farting, burping, being coarse or carrying out any number of other irreverent behaviors to spice things up in the office. Currently Mr. Been is our most irreverent staff member, and I must admit that his stories and general demeanor actually provide us with good dinner conversations and bring us some laughter quite regularly. He's probably the Somali equivalent of a dirty old man. His inappropriateness isn’t over the line, though, but is actually a little bit of what I’d expect from the Mr. Bean most of you are familiar with

I am a native English speaker. Some places I've been, it has been difficult to know if the person was speaking English or some other local language. Other places, however, I know it's English, it's just a different version of English. And others just have a telltale accent for some words. For example, take Boston: They don't know how to pronounce 'r'. They've got Hah-vahd University and they eat clam chowdah. Or how many of you have ever ordered fried rice at a restaurant and when they bring it, they say 'flied lice' because the 'r' turns into an 'l' for some reason. Yeah, there's a population in Kenya who do the same, but they also pronounce the 'l' as an 'r', so when the Elections took place in Sudan, the people who work for the Carter Center were described as the ones who were responsible for the ... well, you can figure that out on your own.

Where I am now, 'b' and 'p' are commonly confused. Somalis are known for fighting, but I didn't know how much they prized it until recently. There's been enough fighting going on here for the last several decades to keep things from developing too much, but when I received the above recommendation as we were looking to hire for a new position, I was a little surprised. Seriously, maybe being aggressive is a positive trait here, but I really wouldn't think to find it in a reference letter. How many people do you know who want an employee who is 'combatant' (see the highlight in yellow above)? After I realized that the person meant 'competent' and not 'combatant', I had a little laugh about the difference in language, and added it to the list of interesting application letters we have received.

:D:D

NGONGE   

Peregrine%20Falcon0014.jpg

One of these stood by my window and stared at me for a full five minutes before it flew off. I stared the basket down. Ma shinbir baan ka baqaya.

Ma shinbir baan ka baqaya.

nobody would have blamed you if you ran - balse daaqaddaad isku halaysay :D

Coomaada duulaya bey Cadan ka keenene

cirkii iyo dhulkii baa isqabsaday cararaqdiisiye

adiguba caqlaaleedahaye carar maxaa dhaama

nuune   

Marriage is the chief cause of divorce baan hada ka hor meel ka akhriyey, yesterday I was invited for a grand divorce party taking place this evening(no wonder it is not held on weekends(that belongs to weddings etc)), Soomaalida wey dhaqaaqdey wallee, at least it is sabtii adduunka for me so no problemaatiko, wondering what kind of food will be there.

yesterday I was invited for a grand divorce party taking place this evening

yaa, maxaa tidhi - bal kusoo celi - yaa ku maqsumay - ma ninka mise naagta? :confused: ma waxaa la gaadhay in wixii foosha xuna loo dabaldego haddeer :eek:

Salaam Juxa,

gabayyada subaxday ku fiicanyihiin

p.s. 'parties'yada miyaad wax ka ogtahay?

Malika   

Looooooool@divorce party..hehe,people have those?

Is it their way of dealing with their disappointment/pain/anger etc?