Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Muna's Murder

NGONGE   

The truck was hurtling along the Sudanese border at full speed. In the back, under a dirty canvass, lay Liban, Salma, Abdi and half a dozen others. They all met in Ethiopia and, through the journey from there to their present place, Liban and Salma avoided Abdi. He on the other hand was puzzled to see them there and wondered why they chose to flee town at the same time as him!

Now Abdi might have been an eternal drunk but, when sober, he did possess a quick mind and sharp intellect. In addition, the emptiness and idleness of his journey from Burco to Sudan had given him time to think things through and ask himself a few questions. The cramped space in the truck also meant that he was lying a couple of feet away from the other two. They were still trying to avoid his gaze and kept their conversations to mute whispers. But Abdi carried on quietly staring at them with a satisfied smile on his face. He noticed that Selma was getting agitated and his smile grew wider.

Selma: What are you smiling about?

Abdi: Who, me?

Selma: Yes. You! You have been staring at us and smiling all journey. What is your problem?

Abdi: I have no problem. I’m merely puzzled..

Selma: Puzzled about what?

Liban: Let him be, Selma.

Abdi: No. It’s ok. I am puzzled at the coincidence that brought us together. I mean who would have guessed that three people from the same town would be travelling on such a journey without planning to go together in advance!

Liban: Yes. It is a strange coincidence. But, to be fair, we don’t really know each other. All we were in the past was a nodding acquaintance.

Abdi: True! Well, we are going to spend hours, maybe days, together. I think it’s time we went beyond the nodding stage.

Liban: Maybe you are right.

Abdi: Good. Now that this is cleared up it’s time I cleared up another misunderstanding.

Selma: What other misunderstanding?

Abdi: I did not kill your aunt.

Liban: We know.

Abdi: You KNOW?

Selma: He meant we don’t think you killed her.

Liban: Yes. Yes. We knew you were not capable of murder.

Abdi: Hmm. You must be the only two who think that. Everyone else believed I did it.

Selma: Well...I mean...err..you had no reason to kill her. I was actually surprised when they arrested you.

Abdi: Really? Hmmm. I wonder who killed her!

Liban: That’s history now. We are going to a new place and a new life. Lets not remind ourselves of the bad times.

Selma: True. Every time I think of my poor aunt and the way she died I feel like crying again. Better not discuss that subject anymore.

Abdi: Ok. I guess you are right. But I would still love to know who killed her. I mean, I was going to get the blame for it you know. If I didn’t run they probably would have charged me with her murder.

Liban: Just as well you ran then.

Abdi: I suppose.

Abdi sits back and closes his eyes momentarily. He opens them and catches the other two agitatedly whispering to each other.

Abdi: Everything ok?

Liban: Yes. Yes. She wants me to change places with her so that she can lean her head against the side of the truck. I’m telling her it is too hot.

Abdi: Want to swap places with me? It’s comfortable on my side.

Selma: No. No. I’m ok. We don’t have long to go anyway.

Abdi: we actually have another day and a half to go.

An hour later, the truck breaks down and the drivers ask everyone to get out. They tell them that the truck can not be fixed and that they have phoned their smuggler friends for help. Another truck is going to drive this way tomorrow morning and pick them all up. It was six in the evening.

Returning back forty eight hours earlier to Kadeer and his loud laments to Adan, we see the poor man sat at his desk and still complaining about his rotten luck.

Kadeer: I will get the sack, Adan. I know I will.

Adan: Hmmm.

Kadeer: I will be jailed too. Dereliction of duty and all that..!

Adan: It was a murder case after all.

Kadeer: True. They might even accuse me of being an accomplice and helping Abdi escape!

Kadeer: I can’t remain here like a sitting duck. I have to do something. I will talk to all the important people I know and ask them to help me out.

Kadeer: You are right. They may refuse. This is a murder case after all.

Adan: Yes.

Kadeer: Ok. Leave me for a bit. I’ll have to think about this one.

Adan leaves the room and Kadeer sits thinking. He knew what he needed to do. He had made his mind up about it already. He must do it without getting into any more trouble. But he needed Adan to cooperate. Kadeer, of course, was going to run away and head for Europe!

Lol now Kadeer is gonna run eh? Wonder who's gonna follow, Abdi or maybe Minister of interior?

Bahasha naga soo dhamee dee adi before it turns a daytime "Dallas" like soap opera. :D

Smiles@the Tahriib scene. You know you could have made those killers life a little bit miserable on their journey to Sudan. Where was the cramped-sweaty conditions the blazing hot hear of the carraige melting the skins of their bones? Come NGONGE. I demand they SUFFER!

At least a little de. :D

Ps About the running away to Europe thing, how did Khadiir get that wild idea? Surely everyone who kills a family member doesn't successfully run off to Europe. Other than that do continue. LOL

NGONGE   

^^ This whole thing started when I thought about the crazy idea of Tahriib. Do you know how many Somalis try it each year? What if one or two of them didn't do it for the usual 'xarragow' reasons and were instead running away from something (poverty aside of course)? :D

As for the extra detail, that's why I said this will end in two parts or take days to do. I decided to take the middle road.

Cawaale   

^today i picked several youngsters tahriibayaal who crossed Egyptian border from the Libyan side, they left behind young Somali boy, they said he landed hard on the ground the sun beating down on him before he blacked out from exhaustion and pain.

and of them had his cellphone with him and managed to take video shots, very disturbing shots wallahi, its like they are fighting desertification with their bodies.

Qof aad ka anxaeyso bad iyo saxaraba ha u dirin!