Sign in to follow this  
Intel

Mufti eyes state seats

Intel   

THE controversial Sheikh Taj al-Din al-Hilali is planning to run Islamic candidates in three safe Labor seats in the coming NSW election.

He is considering running himself against Premier Morris Iemma in the seat of Lakemba, the home of his mosque.

He will also endorse Muslim candidates for the seats of Bankstown and Auburn, which are held by Labor's Tony Stewart and Barbara Perry.

Sheik Hilali, speaking from Egypt, also gave the strongest signal yet that he may stand down as mufti.

"There must be a shake-up, with new blood to be rid of the old guard and bring new blood, including the position of mufti," he told SBS Arabic radio.

Sheik Hilali would not name candidates, nor reveal if he would stand for the seat.

But a close friend, Keysar Trad, said the mufti was considering it.

"If the community intimates its desire to run him, we would expect him to accede to the community's wishes," he said, adding that it was time the Muslim community took the election seriously.

theage.com.au

Buuxo   

man that sheikh never ceases to surprise me. he had me laughing on the floor , when he said on the egyptian tv that " muslims have more rights to be in Australia than anglos . because we paid for our airline ticket, whereas they came in shackles." :D:D im sure he sold a lot of news papers.

This guy keeps pulling rabbits out of a hat.

I wonder if he realises how much easier he has made it for the likes of Alan Jones etc. He should just step aside - this talk of running as an MP must not be serious because he lacks one important skill....the ability to speak english.

LOL, Rokko can't vote for him he is not a resident of Lakemba.

Seriously though if this guy does get elected(which i doubt) im sure he will make interesting viewing during Question Time.