Sign in to follow this  
Buuxo

odaygaygi wuxuu yiri

Buuxo   

Is there certain Somali terms or words that people use constantly, that get on your nerves?

Well, When I hear Somali couples referring to their other half by using terms like “odaygaygi wuxuu yiri” , “xaaski waxay tiri” , I find that irritating .What’s even worse and I cant seem to understand why young married women refer to their husband as “ odaygi /odaygaygi” , I could understand if this was an older women say at least 40 yrs and her hubby is an oday smile.gif .

But why refer to your husband as the “old man or my old man” it is just plain rude. And Somali men do this too, like they would talk about their wife, and say “xaaska this, xaaska that” . It is not when it is used as a one of, but when they use it over and over again, i just feel like screaming. It would be so much nicer and easier to just use their names, even if the person you are talking to doesn’t know who the fadumo or Farxaan you have been talking about for the past 30 minutes is, let them ask and you can clarify, instead of demeaning your beloved.

Anyhow, I probably sound neerafoos but what Somali terms do you or would you use to refer to your spouse??

Bess.   

the Somali language has never been accused of being sweet or romantic.

So, i am surprised that the terms they use are not even more impersonal than odaygaygi and xaaska...like niinkaygi...or naagtaydi...like most use.

To answer the question, i would refer to my spouse with his name.

NGONGE   

The word denotes longevity, not to mention wisdom, respect and other bits and pieces that I can't recall now.

When you meet young, recently married Somali couples and you hear the woman/man refer to their partner by first name (all the time) the first thought that crosses your mind is that these two are just too excited about the whole thing and have not come down to earth just yet. Usually, their anecdotes will be:

Her: 'as I walked to the toilet I bumped into the world's biggest cockroach! I screamed. Abdi came running and stamped on the cockroach. Ooh Abdi is so brave, and he has nice feet'.

Him: 'as I sat watching TV I heard Leila scream! I ran over and saw that a huge cockroach was attacking her! I stamped on it and killed it. Ooh Leila is so fragile and when she's scared she breathes in the most beautiful way'.

When they've been married a little longer and are sure of their affection for each other and position in life, things start changing a little.

Her: 'as I walked to the toilet, I saw a cockroach and tried to kick it. I missed and kicked the wall instead. I screamed in pain. Odaygaygi heard my screams and came running to help me out. He saw the roach and killed it. Odaygagyi waa geel jire asal, he stamped on the cockroach with his own bare foot!

Him: 'ninyaho, ano kobbad dhawanaya, islaanta cabaaday! Baranbaray argatay. I killed the cockroach but I'm not happy about the way xaajiyado breaths! Mala hargab ba haya, yaanay I qaadseen'.

:D

-Lily-   

Ngonge you dissapoint me, where is the romance of getting a cold together? :D

I’m kidding… even love has limits. Very funny indeed.

When the marriage of over 5 years the woman start calling her husband: CARUURTA AABBAHOOD

and when he is with his friends he also call his wife: CARUURTA HOOYADOOD

Ibtisam   

lol wow, Ngonge has a funny bone. :D

Buuxo somali people don't like to appear to like or be fond of anyone, even their spouse. They are too scared everyone is going to tease them! :D

Buuxo   

Lol Ngonge :D , we get that after a while you not all excited about each-other but no need to tell everyone. at least maad tiraahdid xaajiyad or xaajiga. longevity kuma looho Walee kii islaanta i yirihado duf haku baxdo. ;)

Xanthus, i think that is probably it we are such negative people.

Jacpher   

Him: 'ninyaho, ano kobbad dhawanaya, islaanta cabaaday! Baranbaray argatay. I killed the cockroach but I'm not happy about the way xaajiyado breaths! Mala hargab ba haya, yaanay I qaadseen'.

lol@cabaady!

Buuxo: Some parts of the country, they refer their mom as islaantii baan xalay la hadlay :mad:

Kool_Kat   

After 7yrs of marriage, I still refer to my husband by his name...When I'm talking about him to others who know him, I refer to him as his name...However, when it is people who don't know him, I usually say "odaygeyga"...Ain't nothing wrong with it...And he refers to me by my name, when he's with his friends, then I am "xaaska"...

When people refer to their significant other as "odayga/habarta", they don't mean it literally ODAY AND HABAR...The way I see it, it is a form of respect...After all, anyone will respect an ODAY and HABAR, whether they know them or not...

I had my days when I referred my husband as "ninkeyga"...Until one day my mom said "naa horta adiga maxaa ninkeyga ugu jirtaa, yaa kuugula dhagan ninka"...loooooooooool...Walaahay ever since that day, I refer to him by his name...

Intel   

odaygeyga = my old man

wouldnt it be better to say

ninkayga which means.. my man

NGONGE :D:D

Buuxo   

lol@ya kuugula dhagan ninkaan, i still dont understand why they use this odayga/habarta shit, and doubt that it has some respect implied.

Jimcaale, i have actually heard people calling their parents that,odaygaan,

islaanta/habarta ...acuuudkow and some will have you believe its for respect.

Jacpher   

^Odaga does sound nice and has respect connotation. Have you not asked about someone you don't know and the reply you got is hebel waa nin oday ah. Speaking highly of him. After all, we associate age with wisdom.

Ibtisam   

^^^The parents bit suprises me, I can imagine my dad beating me into an early grave for calling him odaygaan! lol He'll be like I'will show you oday! not sure it is for respect though! it is the guys/boys who do this I've yet to meet a girl who calls her aboo/hooyo islaanta/ odaygaan.