Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Dying to live-Inside Somali murders

" These things"...that's what come to for Somalis..how unfortunate

Power struggles blamed for xeno attacks

A recent study into last year’s xenophobic attacks indicates that the violence was organised and led by local groups and individuals.

And they were carried out to consolidate the authority and power needed to further political and economic interests.

The attacks were part of broad structural and historical factors which include the legacy of institutional discrimination and generalised mistrust among citizens, police and the elected leaders.

The research was conducted by the Forced Migration Studies Programme at the University of Witwatersrand.

Other factors identified for contributing to the violence which started in Gauteng in May 2008 are institutionalised practices that exclude foreigners from political participation and justice.

“Often premised on limited knowledge of and respect for the country’s laws and policies, these practices continue to criminalise and villainise foreign nationals and other ‘outsiders’,” says the report.

Researchers Jean Pierre Misago, Loren B Landau and Tamlyn Monson also identified a lack of trusted, prompt and effective conflict resolution mechanisms that led to vigilantism.

The research found that political vacuums or competition in community leadership encouraged the emergence of unofficial, illegitimate and often violent local leadership.

According to the study, these leaders enhanced their authority and power by reinforcing communities’ resentment towards what is perceived as “non-compliant” foreign nationals.

It was found that there is also a culture of impunity with regard to public violence in general and xenophobic violence, in particular.

“That encourages the ill-intentioned to attack non-nationals and other outsiders for personal and or political gain.”

There was little evidence to support early explanations that blamed the eruption of the violence on a “third force”, poor border control, changes in national political leadership, or rising food and commodity prices. But these factors may have contributed to generalised tensions.

Researchers could not explain why violence occurred in some places, not others. - By THANDUXOLO JIKA

stories

vidoes

MZanzi   

very interesting article... I have lived half of my life here in SA it's nice a place to live ...laakin dadka adunka ugu cawaansan waaye dadkooda..they can kill you for fun if it will make them happy

Paragon   

These things"...that's what come to for Somalis..how unfortunate

How unfortunate, indeed. Once you sensitize a population to hate (apatheid - all for a good reason), you cannot de-sensitize them from hating. The ANC government, and others to come, must invest in de-programming the population from earlier hatred, and educate (enlighten)them to realise that there is no need to hate the 'different'. It's alright now.

Goodir   

^I wouldn't bet my two cents for that to happen.

Somalis need to protect themselves by any means necessary. Hire armed police to guard their businesses or residents or relocate to other stable cities. These barbaric South African criminals including top officials need to be brought to justice.

This is all our fault! We did/doin this to ourselves. But will somalis ever learn a lesson from this? Unite and love each other?

Don't expect much from others when you're killing your own brother/sister at your own backyard!

This report is quite enraging to read as a Somali. I agree with Goodir however and would even go as far as to say that our people need to invest in registered guns. Violence doesn't solve violence but it sure evens things out a little

South Africa is some seriously frightening place to live in- I remember watching "Louis Theroux goes to SA" thing a while back and it totally gave me the chills. The idiocy and flippancy to which the criminals kill others is quite extraordinary.

but one can slightly symphtise with theese 'unedecated' South Africans, the place is already though and is a 'dog eat dog' situation. The the Somalis came and made a success of themselves so the Black South African got envious and are making sure tat they drive the Somalis away. With time the Somalis will become like the Nigerians and b feared.

They also maybe need to get to the know thier attackrs better, like why are they are picking on the Somnalis and sort the misundersandings.

Who fears Nigerians?

Anyhow this is part of being a minority. I remmeber as a kid in London, other groups used to use the words, Somali as a diss, "you skinny Somali" was an insult those days.

In SA, they are brutal and poor and thus they will kill you if they can.

Nothing major this is yet another one of thise stories of the Diaspora.

-Lily-   

Perhaps it was safer to stay in Somalia, or gone to Somaliland to start your business.

I can’t understand it from the SA perspective at all. These people are not living on handouts, or getting government places, they got where they are due to their own hard work.

If you keep money on the premises you are an easy target.

I feel sorry for the paralysed youth, I wish there was something we could do for him.

Chimera   

Bast-A-rds! In their hour of need Somalia hosted South African refugees, gave military supplies to their freedom fighters, politically supported their quest against Apartheid, gave them a voice on the international stage (whenever we could provide them one) wether it was during Somalia's term as chairman of the AU or the multiple times that their leaders used the International media residing in Mogadishu as an outlet to the world and this scum of a xaayiwaan tries to justify his barbaric killings of hardworking legitimate entrepreneurs with the words: they come here to take our women...LMAO i doubt Somali men are even remotely attracted/interested in non-Somali African women unless they are East African groups like Afar,Oromo,Harari, Beja women etc.

they..come..to..take..our..women...rofl dear lord :D

Lily-Lack of oppurtunities and the failure of ANC to deliver any real changes for the black majority is driving force behind this xenophobic attacks. The expectations of the people were so high, but only few black elites benefitted from the end apartheid, the rest are still poor, and the immigrants represent a new threat to their already meager resources.

Adam...Why are you taking their women. I guess Somali men must be a catch there-Zulu and Xhosa falling over Faraxs :D

Chimera   

Che ever had a dream where you murdered someone and the entire police department was after you but then you suddenly woke up in schock and at the same time relieved and happy because it was all just a dream? Well i had a similar dream but i was married to a non-Somali(Japanese qalanjo - blame the Dorama's) and we had children, a nice house, basically the 'good life' and there was nothing wrong with either my children or my wife they were beautiful but it still felt like a Nightmare when i woke up and Japanese women in my list of 'most beautiful women in the world' are ranked 2nd

so XHOSA/ZULU?..lol no comment!

LMAO i doubt Somali men are even remotely attracted/interested in non-Somali African women unless they are East African groups like Afar,Oromo,Harari, Beja women etc.

Disappointing - of the cuf remark from you of all people - i thought generalising wasn't your trade.

qof walba qoominihiisa qorta ugu xiran. - perhaps i should post on the mahmaah thread.

P.s. xagee ka dhacday - where is that thing we agreed upon.