Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Nandos in the UK

Ms DD   

Salaam

I love the chicken of nandos. But to my shock, i was told that it aint halaal. Anyone heard of this?

Freemans the meat supplier to Nandos have admitted that they electrically stun the animal before slitting its throat in the halal manner. nandos have admitted this. The halal ceetificate that HMC (Halal Monitoring Committee) had apparently given them to certify halal was not actually from HMC as they won't issue it cos elctric stunning makes the process not halal ( even though the actual slaughter that is done is halal alone, the process before of stunning is haraam).

There is no basis for stunning in Islam. It is done humanely and with very little harm and suffering to the animal. The well trained slaughterers will not even let the animal see the knife (which is the sunnah).

Maybe i should move this to Islam section but some people tell me that it is sufficient to say 'Bismillah' and eat any meat so long as it is not pork. Somehow this igama degto.

Any religious person who could shed some light on this?

quick google gave me this answer from Eat Halal Website

Assalamu Alaikum

Thank you for your recent mail regarding Nandos.

With regards to the question relating to the classification of the actual restaurant as halal, this issue, is a contentious one. Many restaurants which sell halal meat, often also trade in Haram alcohol products, in order to attract Western customers. eathalal takes the stance that this is a disrespectful practice, and would urge such Muslim restaurant-owners to refrain from this unholy practice.

On the matter of non-Muslim restaurants, such as Nandos, trading with Halal meat yet selling alcohol, we feel that as Muslims, we should always attempt to refrain from visiting these establishments in favour of truly Halal restaurants.

However, we feel that this is a choice for Muslim consumers to take themselves, for as individuals we must use our own judgement.

May Allah (SWA) assist us on this difficult journey, and give us sound judgement.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wassalam

Sister

Kind Regards

eat well

eathalal

-----------------------------------------------

and this other reply from zabihah

Assalamu alaikoum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu. Please brothers and sisters in Islam listen and do not be fool by this. Because Halal Meat Industry and the relating industries is multi millionaire pounds industry, corporations that do not practice Halal code (or non muslims) see us as an opportunity to exploits us, so be careful brothers and sisters in Islam. Obviously Alyx Tole, the Customer Care Manager can say what he likes, but the fact is Nandos main supplier is Freemans. Everybody knows the Halal Meat Industry in the United Kingdom that Freemans (a supplier) is not Halal. Because of this Nandos can not be Halal. Freemans fraudulently tried to cover up this. Please ask a professional in the Halal meat trade. They all will be happy to tell you this. Please brothers and sisters in Islam ask or contact The Islamic Cultural Centre & The London Central Mosque known as Regent Park Mosque in London. There will be happy to tell you or ask Dr Teinaz of ICC (The Health Advisor for The Islamic Cultural Centre & The London Central Mosque). Dr Yunes R. Teinaz, MPH Ph.D is also the senior Environment Health Officer and Enforcement Service for Haringey Council Environmental services Directorate. Tel: 020 8489 5195, Fax: 020 8489 5528 and E-mail yunes.teinaz@haringey.gov.uk . Or please check with several Halal Food authorities such as these: The Muslim Food Board (UK) http://www.halaal.org , UK Halal Corporation Limited http://www.halalcorporation.org/ Furthermore also check with Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) Health Committee and Halal Committee, Dr A Majid Katme. Mobile 07944 240 622. He will kindly advise you.

Hope That was usefull :cool:

i cant believe you people are eating that stuff!

Ever heard of battery hens -please do a google img search and then think whether you could put that in your mouth, 'cos thats what they use.

-Lily-   

When they say Halal, you presume the animal is slaughtered the correct way and hope it lead a free & beautiful life before that. As for the pic, I'm too chicken to check it.

Urban   

oh ffs, i've never been to nandos before, and just when i was convinced to try it, i see this thread..

also, that website says Ribena is xaram? :( "..It has been alleged that Pork Gelatine is used as a filter during the production of the soft drink Ribena.." lol

"alleged"? by who?

as long as they don't say anything about Oasis, i'm good..

N.O.R.F   

The halal ceetificate that HMC (Halal Monitoring Committee) had apparently given them to certify halal was not actually from HMC as they won't issue it cos elctric stunning makes the process not halal ( even though the actual slaughter that is done is halal alone, the process before of stunning is haraam).

I've always been picky about where i eat. I do not trust Turkish, Kurd & Iranian joints period! Its easier for me now yes (in a Muslim country) but i do not buy meat from non-Muslim countries at the supermarket. You never know what they have been given. I stick to Somali meat and local chicken.

Man I had some just the other day, I wonder if it is the same for the Australian franchise? Oh well I can live with out it I guess. What’s scary down here is that we now have Halal McDonald's and KFC. Although KFC apparently was bogus and certified by a group that you could probably could pay enough to sign anything. Subxan'Allah, what next. Alhamdulilah we have plenty of Muslim owned eateries. But I have to admit I was shocked to see on my recent trip to the States that many Somali's in fact do not care where they get their poultry. They like Bisinka qabso :eek: . I was considered the freak because I’d order non-meat dishes. I once had a discussion with this woman I presumed to be a wadad (very long and thick jilbab) I was like tell me how does one justify eating xaram meet. I mean I understand if you do it and you know its xaram but your just weak. Lakiin making excuses and telling me it is in fact xalal? Anyway after my rambling she was like well to tell you the truth I buy my meat form the local supermarket!!!!!!!! I was thinking all those marteqaad’s I went to, were they xaram foods :confused: :( ??!!

N.O.R.F   

But I have to admit I was shocked to see on my recent trip to the States that many Somali's in fact do not care where they get their poultry. They like Bisinka qabso

loool :D

I have also come across Americans with the same attitude!

Faheema.   

I heard some Nandos are Halal, e.g. Elephant & Castle and Whitechapel. However, since I discovered that Nando's does not offer franchises in the UK, I am not too sure smile.gif

Nehanda   

Surely, no danbii is committed by the consumer where s/he is misinformed by the seller.

Fortunately supermarkets such as Asda and Tesco are now selling halal products hence one can complete the household shopping under one roof rather than also undertaking a trip to the local market or halal shop for meat.

FatB   

the chicken is grilled on the same hot plate as the bacon...so form the get go i wouldnt trust it