Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

A different world

N.O.R.F   

Why do Muslims in the west wish to send their kids to Islamic schools and Muslims in the Islamic world wish to send their kids to western run schools?

There are many aspects of life in the ME one notices.

ps no trolling please,,,,

NGONGE   

^^ They all want the best for their children and try to provide them with the missing bits. In the west it's Islam and in the east it's education. The contradiction makes perfect sense.

Jacpher   

^What are you now? Troll Mutawa?

It's simply. The same reason maryooleey in the West are moving to African and those in Africa are dying to replace them in the West.

chubacka   

No one appreaciates what they have, they long for what they don't have. But it must be better to educate kids and live in muslim lands whateva their short comings..

JUSTICE   

Good question Northner,I always had that in my mind. Parents in the west want their kids to be better educated about the deen, and there is nothing wrong with that. What these parents don't know is that Islamic countries have the same downsides of the west and they are far worse cause all illegal activities goes undercover, and everyone know about it. Need I say more!!!

N.O.R.F   

Ngonge, state schools here are not that bad surely. It has more to do with wanting kids to be educated in English which will benefit them later on than a lck of education in state schools. Why are they so quick to tell you 'he goes to private school'?

If only they would be taught a bit of common sense,,,,,,

Aniga, ingiriiskaan iyo sheekada private school, carabta lee leygu soo baray.(Canada waxaan imaaday anoo ingiriis ku hadlaayo)

Waalidkeyga were all about ingiriis hala baro gabadha, si deg deg eh, because I was the only one in my family that didn't know english.

I am the youngest in my family, in other words, all my 3 older siblings mar hore ey private ingiriis after school aadi jireen ayagoo yar yar.

So carabta marka aan soo dagne, egypt to be precise, private school oo western eh aa leygu tuuray, oo run gareeyo from 1st grade to 12 grade(aa umaleynaa), saas aan 4th grade kudhameystay, and 5th grade ka bilaabay, oo odaygii ingiriiska ay introduction leygu sameeyay.(hal maado lee carab eheed, inta kale ingiriis aa lagu qaadan jiray)

Waa dalkii carabta oo tutor leygu qabtay so I can be on top of my game at school were engiriiska was concerned.(I remember my tutor was a nigerian dude too) So, there is something in the arab air and private school ay somalida geeyaan ilmahooda.

Teeda kale, hadii iskool carab eh ley geen lahaay markaas, hada anoo fluent in arabic eh oo sida qu'raanka aan ugu aqristo aan ugu hadli lahaa, oo lafaha aan carabta ka tumilahaa, unfortunately, kii ey dhahaayeen ingriis aa waalidkeyga qorsagaaro ku qabtay mar hore.

PS:North, nothing wrong with parents oo kufaanaayo "my children go to private school", if you got it, flaunt it

Attending a private school in Carabta has great many benefits - effortlessly going to western universities and being able to work anywhere in the world later on. Its completely understandable why Somali parents would consider English very important, because they see their residence in Arab countries as temporary and they want their kids to have skills (like English) that are easily transferable. However often Somali parents like Layzie's and my own overlook the importance of teaching their kids Arabic. Which is a beautiful language and language our identity as muslims is deeply rooted in.

I'm ashamed, regretful and disappointed to say I was peddled to a private school for 7yrs in an Arab country and cant write or speak Arabic fluently. I can write slightly better than I can speak.. and that gratitude mainly goes to my dugsi teacher in Xamar :D

I understand the misconception North is referring to... while it might be understandable why Somali parents in Arab countries send their kids to English only private schools, its not so understandable why Arab parents do, knowing it will put their own language and culture and the child's sense of identity at risk. Its vitally important for Arabs to cherish and propagate their language and make sure their kids are first and foremost fluent in the language , country and culture of their people.... its what the survival and preservation of their race depends on.

North, I'm glad to learn the little one is learning Arabic already ;)

Aaliyyah   

A Muslim child in the west is lacking the Islamic aspect of his/ her education,therefore, sending that child to Islamic school will fill that gap. For instance, my younger sister attends Islamic school, you would be amazed at how much she knows about her religion at such a young age, and how proud she is to be Muslim. That would have been hard to achieve if not nearly impossible if she attended public school system.Not to mention that in the long run, you are risking your child's future by sending him/her to public school system, where all kind of kids hang out.

As Muslims in the west we go through many challenges everyday, and the hardest being raising a child in the west. We have to take advantage of what the west is offering; the education and employment opportunities. However, we must preserve our religion. In my opinion, sending your child to private Islamic school is the best alternative.

As for those in Middle East who prefer to send their children to British and American schools recognize that English is an international language and will benefit their children in the country they reside, or if they move to English speaking country to pursue higher education. It is all about balancing it out, everyone wants their child to be religious and have the best education.

NGONGE   

North,

State schools (in the Arab world and the West) are usually of a lower standard than private/public schools (lets confuse the north Americans a little :D ) . Yes, there is an element of pride and showing off involved but, for most parents, that's just a lesser reason for sending their children to private schools.

When I went to school in the UAE (the early part of my school years at least) the government used to pay us, feed us and cloth us (arr sheikh Zayid o duceya). Going to school was free and parents had to pay no fees. But for the past fifteen years or so, state school has ceased to be free for non-citizens. Parents were required to pay a token sum (or so it was called) for each child they enrol at a state school (this was for parents that worked in the public sector, those that worked in the private sector were not even afforded that choice).

Since the aim of sending a child to school is to have him/her educated in the best way possible and at the hands of dedicated teachers, many parents decided to send their children to private schools. I am assuming that it is a very competitive market now and that these schools try to attract new pupils by showing past results of previous students and the awards that the school won. On the whole, private schools produce a better type of student (Serenity and Layzie aside). :D

At any rate, if you find this puzzling wait until you meet some of the Arabs that boast about having their sons studying at Eton, Harrow or Winchester!

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

Attending a private school in Carabta has great many benefits - effortlessly going to western universities and being able to work anywhere in the world later on. Its completely understandable why Somali parents would consider English very important, because they see their residence in Arab countries as temporary and they want their kids to have skills (like English) that are easily transferable. However often Somali parents like
Layzie's
and my own overlook the importance of teaching their kids Arabic.

I thought only Indo-Pak parents felt this way. What a revelation. All Somalis I know that lived in Carabta regardless of schooling speak Arabic. How can one live in a country and not speak the local language?

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

North,

State schools (in the Arab world and the West) are usually of a lower standard than private/public schools (lets confuse the north Americans a little
:D
) . Yes, there is an element of pride and showing off involved but, for most parents, that's just a lesser reason for sending their children to private schools.

When I went to school in the UAE (the early part of my school years at least) the government used to pay us, feed us and cloth us (arr sheikh Zayid o duceya). Going to school was free and parents had to pay no fees. But for the past fifteen years or so, state school has ceased to be free for non-citizens. Parents were required to pay a token sum (or so it was called) for each child they enrol at a state school (this was for parents that worked in the public sector, those that worked in the private sector were not even afforded that choice).

Since the aim of sending a child to school is to have him/her educated in the best way possible and at the hands of dedicated teachers, many parents decided to send their children to private schools. I am assuming that it is a very competitive market now and that these schools try to attract new pupils by showing past results of previous students and the awards that the school won. On the whole, private schools produce a better type of student (Serenity and Layzie aside).
:D

At any rate, if you find this puzzling wait until you meet some of the Arabs that boast about having their sons studying at Eton, Harrow or Winchester!

It wouldnt be so bad if kids went to these private schools from about 11/12 (high school) but they start from nursery/KG1. There are quite a few kids who cant speak Arabic which has lead to calls for some sort of reforms. Now these schools should be teaching Islamic studies and Arabic by law but most simply dont. When caught its a meager fine.

It is a very competitive market now with astronomical fees and increases in recent years. The thing is, with more and more expats coming over and the ever increasing emphasis on western education its bound to only get bigger but not necessarily better. There are many unqualified 'teachers' in these schools. Jumeira Jane who worked in a call centre in the UK but is now here with her husband is teaching in aGEMS school. :rolleyes: They have only recently formed a body to regulate the private schools.

There are some very good schools run by Muslims with more emphasis on learning Islam (in both English and/or Arabic) and with qualified teachers in addition to the IGCSE and IA Level programmes.

There have been calls to revamp education in the gulf states but its a tad late dont ya think? Who builds all the roads? Schools? the Burjs etc? Who project manages them? etc etc There is a long way to go. Most of time will be to simply change the attitude of I can sit around and let others work for me. I should be complaining I know they are paying my wages.

All I remeber about state school in KSA in the mid 80s was being affraid of that cane/whip/shoe if I got my Quran wrong. A good boy was I :D

Serenity:

North, I'm glad to learn the little one is learning Arabic already

Who told you that? She was doing well with her Somali until she went to blighty and returned speaking English :rolleyes: . Those fish and chips kids have brain washed her. I was doing well teaching her Somali :mad:

Originally posted by Didi Kong:

quote:Originally posted by -Serenity-:

Attending a private school in Carabta has great many benefits - effortlessly going to western universities and being able to work anywhere in the world later on. Its completely understandable why Somali parents would consider English very important, because they see their residence in Arab countries as temporary and they want their kids to have skills (like English) that are easily transferable. However often Somali parents like
Layzie's and my own overlook the importance of teaching their kids Arabic.

I thought only Indo-Pak parents felt this way. What a revelation. All Somalis I know that lived in Carabta regardless of schooling speak Arabic. How can one live in a country and not speak the local language?
It seems strange but not when you learn about the race demographic of Arab countries. Where I lived, there were an equal number of foreigners as there were Arabs, and when one interacts with foreigners and Arabs who speak English all the time, there is little opportunity to study the Arabic language. Also, it doesn't help when not knowing the language is not a hindrance in the least. Still, I'm not that hopeless. I understand when spoken to. :D

North, maybe she isn't catching Somali well, because adigaa baraya icon_razz.gif:D

Muslim kids who go to Islamic schools in the west are better off either way. Islamically, they usually come out educated and with good manners and Educationally, they tend to go to the good higher education institutions, at least in the UK, to the point where non-muslims wanna send their kids to muslim schools. I think, the same can't be said for the western schools in the muslim world. Just an assumption. I could be right though.